DCP Could Make a Difference

Everyone has got to admit, seeing those attendance numbers for the live and cinematic productions is a good sight to see. For the most part, DCI (attendance wise) is going up. Significant marketing strategies have helped get more bodies in the seats.

As someone who uses DCP regularly, I have noticed that DCP is full of a lot of brilliant, experienced minds. People who know what they're talking about. We ALL have different views, but we ALL are die hard drum corps fans, and we all know that DCI needs to tweak a little bit (or a lot a bit). We've all discussed virtually every aspect of DCI. Though we don't agree on every issue, we do agree on common issues.

All of this being said, being the type of fans that we are, DCP could make a big difference in the future of the DCI world, both world class and open class. We all want the best for the corps, and we all want to see hundreds of corps, and hundreds of shows, and THOUSANDS of people in those stands. DCP could be a factor to make that happen. I realize that a lot of people want to give up, and quit, but this is the time to HELP. If you don't like how DCI is doing, LET THEM KNOW. If you LOVE how DCI is doing, LET THEM KNOW. Communicate with them, because we (the fans) are DCI's most important focal point (besides education). Suggest future advertising strategies, suggest different ways of selling tickets, suggest different touring strategies, suggest anything that you think DCI could benefit from. You never know, you're idea could change the activity for the better.

I realize that there's probably a lot of instructors, members, and DCI employers/BOD who watch the DCP forums, but sometimes I feel like we're yelling at ourselves and things aren't being let out. I also realize that people are making letters and things of that nature, but I think that there are a lot more things that could be put out there. Who knows, maybe the DCP community could create and submit a professional, well thought out "action plan" directed to the DCI BOD's.

Overall, I think we have the "stuff" to make a powerful and POSITIVE change in the DCI community. Maybe it would give DCP a different view to people.

• Like 1

I would hope that DCI cares about the common fan, but one thing I'll always remember at the Friends of DCI State of DCI/ morning of finals breakfast in 2004 was Dan Acheson telling the audience, " I know everybody wants us to care about what they think, But it is what you people in this room think is that what really matters". He went on to say something along the lines of "the tens of thousands of dollars you contribute is the reason DCI is in such a great state". So unless 40 or 50k fans can come together and agree on a certain topic, I think our current situation is the status quo.

• Like 1

I disagree... DCP is where people who wish they had the ability to run a drum corps go to complain about the people who are actually running a drum corps. It is the same everywhere in every form of life... Those who can do... Those who can't, claim they know more than those who are actually doing..and around and around and around it goes...

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 6

I disagree... DCP is where people who wish they had the ability to run a drum corps go to complain about the people who are actually running a drum corps. It is the same everywhere in every form of life... Those who can do... Those who can't, claim they know more than those who are actually doing..and around and around and around it goes...

But there ARE people who have been involved in almost every single aspect of drum corps on DCP.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that DCP is full of experts, but it is a plethora of ideas that could be useful to DCI. At least to enhance the thought process. For DCI to know that their fans are thinking just as they are could be very good thing. Thing that DCP has an edge on is that the majority of people on here are avid fans. "Normal" fans probably don't debate daily about drum corps. So that being said, why NOT have a group of passionate fans, such as DCP-ers, let DCI know their opinions? We constantly say our opinion needs to be heard, whether right or wrong, so why not let DCI hear us out. Our insight, as a whole, could be useful.

And, of course, I presume you're including yourself in that description, Anthony.

• Like 6

Thing that DCP has an edge on is that the majority of people on here are avid fans. "Normal" fans probably don't debate daily about drum corps.

I would imagine the main thing DCI is concerned with is that they sell more tickets (MANY MORE) to the NORMAL fans than they do to the AVID fans.

Of course I'm included... Never ran one, never tried to tell someone else how to either.

I would imagine the main thing DCI is concerned with is that they sell more tickets (MANY MORE) to the NORMAL fans than they do to the AVID fans.

Well yes you are right. But my point is that we are the fans who are actually talking about it on a daily bases. We talk about all of the issues that DCI goes through yet we associate ourselves more along the lines of a normal fan than in the hierarchy of DCI. So there would be "normal people" with very well thought out and discussed ideas/plans.

I don't know if this makes sense at all, but I think DCP can do a lot more than people realize.

• Like 1