Has a corps ever changed horns during a show?

I thought it would be super cool if a a corps would start a show on Bb horns and then switch to G bugles and then blow the house down. Anyone ever do something like that?

I thought it would be super cool if a a corps would start a show on Bb horns and then switch to G bugles and then blow the house down. Anyone ever do something like that?

No. Could be a challenge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJQiIkL8RX8

watch the trumpets. it is a horn switch

And the best part is it would be so inexpensive! What are they, a grand each? Two?

Are they really that different? Has anybody done a youtube video comparison? Most people only played one or the other, so we have no reference.

• Like 1

I think it would be too difficult to pull off.

Cost and trying to tune/keep in tune throughout the show until they were used.

And the best part is it would be so inexpensive! What are they, a grand each? Two?

Are they really that different? Has anybody done a youtube video comparison? Most people only played one or the other, so we have no reference.

I've played both contra and tuba. For contra at least, it was a lot easier for me when i first started out marching with Cinci Tradition to put out a good amount of sound on the contra, more so than on the marching tuba. However when I became more advanced, I noticed that there was almost a ceiling on the contra where I couldnt play any louder, but on the King tuba I could dish it out. Its also harder for me for some reason to hear my pitch on the bugle. I know that G's have an edgy sound that a lot of the older guys still love. I love it too, but its been proven possible by many corps to have that edge on the Bb's when they want. So its pretty much unnecessary if you ask me to switch horns during a show because with the new horns, you can sound like a G bugle just by how you play it.

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 4

I've always wanted to see corps play around with the any-key rule. Not a whole hornline, of course (though I'd kill to hear one of today's top hornlines on C and G instruments) but solos, small ensembles, things like that.

But it won't happen. The switch to any-key was never an artistic decision. It was a business one.

Edited by Rifuarian

I've played both contra and tuba. For contra at least, it was a lot easier for me when i first started out marching with Cinci Tradition to put out a good amount of sound on the contra, more so than on the marching tuba. However when I became more advanced, I noticed that there was almost a ceiling on the contra where I couldnt play any louder, but on the King tuba I could dish it out. Its also harder for me for some reason to hear my pitch on the bugle. I know that G's have an edgy sound that a lot of the older guys still love. I love it too, but its been proven possible by many corps to have that edge on the Bb's when they want. So its pretty much unnecessary if you ask me to switch horns during a show because with the new horns, you can sound like a G bugle just by how you play it.

Tuba/Contra lines have never sounded better. Crown in 09... blew any contra line ever away.. Sorry. But that was some amazing stuff. I don't know. The Bb horns just offer a more solid foundation for the horn line for me. I fon't know about projecting or anything.. but I have noticed way more presence from since the switch. Nowadays... when you aren't getting the synth double there are some amazing sections out there. Powerful ####.

Also.. this didn't happen right away with the Bbs... I know Yamahas first line of tubas that the corps were using were awful. The 202s were much better, and I know for real tubas players who actually enjoy playing the horn. Just wish is had another valve. Oh and BD has the best brass sounds they have ever had in their history the past couple years.

Is it teaching? or is it the horns? That is a legit question I think...

It would be very difficult to pull off just from a tuning stand point. You watch Crown rehearse and see the effort put into creating such a pure sound that is so in tune and if you threw in G bugles you would have to teach how to get those somewhat in tune. They are not an in tune instrument to begin with. They may have had power but the intonation suffered. It just wouldn't be practical.