1989 SCV Champions Watch

I better not ask you about the upcoming Major Baseball League World Series. At least DCI is open to any qualifying corps that wishes to attend. However, drum corps is an activity concentrated in the United States, unlike baseball, which is quite popular in some other countries like Japan and the Caribbean.

Nigeria Little League Baseball baby!!!

s/ guy who lives below Williamsport and was in 1985 Opening Ceremonies with a corps....

Re "do your own Champs items" at 1978 AL "Nats" we had a few hours in the French Quarter in New Orleans and saw a t-shirt with "Westshoremen 1978 National Champs" on it. This was the day of felt letters pressed onto the shirt. We flipped that one of the sovie shops thought of it. Then we went in and found other corps member had them made and the owner put one in the window for advertising. It worked he sold a bunch more to passing corps members....

Nigeria Little League Baseball baby!!!

s/ guy who lives below Williamsport and was in 1985 Opening Ceremonies with a corps....

Re "do your own Champs items" at 1978 AL "Nats" we had a few hours in the French Quarter in New Orleans and saw a t-shirt with "Westshoremen 1978 National Champs" on it. This was the day of felt letters pressed onto the shirt. We flipped that one of the sovie shops thought of it. Then we went in and found other corps member had them made and the owner put one in the window for advertising. It worked he sold a bunch more to passing corps members....

Cool story.

Actually, Michael, the shields that we wear on our sleeves that either say "Champion" or SCVanguard on the red stripe do have "DCI NAT'L" in the upper right hand corner. My DCI Patches have that. I resewed my '70 and '71 shields to say "AMR LGN" (should have put A.L. NAT'L) and "VFW NAT'L". I assume that all of our patches have DCI NAT'L, but, I could be wrong. You'd have to ask anyone who marched after '75.

Just to add. I don't know about anyone else, but I always refer to World Championsips as either "Finals" or "DCI Nationals". Must be the Old School comining out of me. :peek:

That's what I thought. I've heard older people than me refer to DCI World Championships as Nationals...

• Like 1

Even back during my first year of drum corps in 1975, I only heard it referred to as Championship Week...never any reference to Nationals.

The first person I ever heard refer to Finals week as "Nats" was Jeff Queen in 99 Crown. I've heard Ralph Hardimon refer to it as such, too. I've heard it a few times in my experience. I think its maybe a West Coast thing. So, its not completely unbelievable to me.

Edit: And as I actually go back and read the entire thread now, it seems my assumption of it being a West Coast thing is validated. I've only heard it from teachers that have taught or marched BD or SCV.

Edited by Cadets98

The first person I ever heard refer to Finals week as "Nats" was Jeff Queen in 99 Crown. I've heard Ralph Hardimon refer to it as such, too. I've heard it a few times in my experience. I think its maybe a West Coast thing. So, its not completely unbelievable to me.

Edit: And as I actually go back and read the entire thread now, it seems my assumption of it being a West Coast thing is validated. I've only heard it from teachers that have taught or marched BD or SCV.

Yep - It's a "left coast" thing!

Yep - It's a "left coast" thing!

Sort of like hearing a California corps' name announced last at 21 DCI World Championships. (1 Kingsmen, 6 SCV, 15 BD...21 and not 22 because one year, two California corps tied for 1st)

• Like 2

Sort of like hearing a California corps' name announced last at 21 DCI World Championships. (1 Kingsmen, 6 SCV, 15 BD...21 and not 22 because one year, two California corps tied for 1st)

Yes - we were very fortunate to have some great mentors make that a reality - Don Porter Sr., Gail Royer, Jerry Seawright, Mike Moxley, David Gibbs...

Yes - we were very fortunate to have some great mentors make that a reality - Don Porter Sr., Gail Royer, Jerry Seawright, Mike Moxley, David Gibbs...

Reading that reminded me how much I miss Jerry. My favorite memory was going with him and his wife and the Cook family (Bill Cook loved Jerry) to a private tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West that I set up through a friend of mine who was CEO of the FLlW Foundation. This was during the Drum Corps Midwest/Drum Corps West time in Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl Parade. Jerry was like a sponge...he was soaking up everything he saw and heard. At the time, I kind of wished I could have experienced the side trip through his eyes.

• Like 2

It was pretty common on the West Coast to call DCI Championships "Nationals" or "Nats" for short. As in, "Don't sweat it, we'll kick their ### at Nats." I know that's how we refereed to it at BD in the late 80's.

I remember hearing either "Nats" or "DCI" in reference to finals when I marched.