Old Number 11

Again - when the hornline FINALLY played BK were fantastic. The drumline was good. Too much prancing and flitting about. Spirit had the crowd in their hands - BK did not.... The judges got it wrong.

Meh; get with the program. This is a thread about Spirit of Atlanta!

• Like 2

Hmmm...

Two negatives in my previous post.

Did I say something wrong? Was someone offended because I liked Spirit's show? Did it rub someone the wrong way that I pointed out that Spirit led BK for most of the season?

Tough crowd in this thread. LOL!!

(seriously, though...I really don't care about getting negatives)

its cool. Actually I was just curiuos about peoples real opinions. I havent heard much commentary about Spirit.

I am okay with negative as long as it's real and not slamming for the sake of slamming.

I liked the show a lot. It was entertaining and their sound was smokin'. It is great to see them making finals again and doing it with a style that is fun and basically feels right for them.

Awesome.

Like i said. I am weird about electronics. Especially when it is not necessary. I enjoyed the music until those voice overs. hate that.

I think the style can fit....

I know I marched Spirit but I have become impartial over time. I am that way with ALL the corps now. Except SCV. I like that they are alway in the mix and an underdog at the same time.

I loved Spirit's show and was hoping for an even bigger jump. They were better than Blue Knights in every way in my opinion. I could not get past BKs unmusical drum writing and the grade 1 level brass book (OK, the mello runs at the end were grade 2). Spirit maxed out their talent with a great brass book that easily fits with any of the top six in regards to demand and real meat in the book. When was the last time a corps was out of finals for nearly a decade and then in and out for the next, and then finishes two years in a row with a really solid show and a crowd favorite at that. I hope they don't give in to what seems to still be the favored DCI scoring shows, esoteric. Despite the claims of Mr. Cesario to promote entertainment value, while corps were top to bottom better this year, I did not feel them to be overall more entertaining.

BK might be a good example of what I am not a real fan of with the present shows. I did like the little "interstellar suite" flashback they gave me.

Spirit's show was more entertaining. I cant say it was "technically" better than BK or not but I did truly like the SoA show more.

I think both shows show how "design" can get in the way of the "Idea". BK was simply over designed and SoA did the voice overs sparingly but it was done the when it was not even needed.

I did get a glimpse the old Spirit that I grew up loving. The guard uniforms were similar to 87' (i think) and the horn book reminds me of the 80s books pre 88.

BK might be a good example of what I am not a real fan of with the present shows. I did like the little "interstellar suite" flashback they gave me.

Spirit's show was more entertaining. I cant say it was "technically" better than BK or not but I did truly like the SoA show more.

I think both shows show how "design" can get in the way of the "Idea". BK was simply over designed and SoA did the voice overs sparingly but it was done the when it was not even needed.

I did get a glimpse the old Spirit that I grew up loving. The guard uniforms were similar to 87' (i think) and the horn book reminds me of the 80s books pre 88.

I don't know what you mean by BK's show being "over designed". Could you expand upon that?

Mind you, I'm not agreeing with you or disagreeing with you. I truly don't know what "over designed" means.

I enjoyed Spirit this year and like some posters, did not believe that BK should have topped Spirit at Prelims or semis. Finals did not have the same fire as the earlier performances, but it was still respectable.

Personally, there are two things I think can be said about Spirit. First, many predicted preseason that Spirit's return to finals last year was a fluke and that this year would prove it, in spite of the fact that the reports from camps were favorable. Well, last year was not a fluke. Good for Spirit. Second, "Luck Be A Lady" was a fun number, with the showgirl enticing us all, and audiences seemed to enjoy it, but when I first saw it, the overall show caught my attention, which of course is not a bad thing, but after Allentown I listened to the San Antonio performance without the guard and marching show and the arrangement reminded me a bit of their glory days (1978-80). So when I saw them in Indy, I enjoyed what they did while allowing myself to be carried back in time.

I don't know what you mean by BK's show being "over designed". Could you expand upon that?

Mind you, I'm not agreeing with you or disagreeing with you. I truly don't know what "over designed" means.

No problem - agree or disagree - I'm good. I think these two show are "opinions" apart. It could go either way.

"Over Design" if I were a redneck, I would classify "over design" as a rednecks jeep. To much chrome, jacked up about 6 inches to high with tires the same size as a ford pinto.

So what I was saying about BK - They were trying to hard and over compensated. The moves were to flashy and didnt truly transition well. The costumes were overly dramatic, to much in the electronics. Stravinsky is also my all time favorite composer and I asked myself if Stravinsky would be proud of this rendition and I didnt think so. Firebird has been done so much better in so many ways that this seemed wrong to me.

Like I said - this is my opinion that you can agree with or not. It's cool.

I enjoyed Spirit this year and like some posters, did not believe that BK should have topped Spirit at Prelims or semis. Finals did not have the same fire as the earlier performances, but it was still respectable.

Personally, there are two things I think can be said about Spirit. First, many predicted preseason that Spirit's return to finals last year was a fluke and that this year would prove it, in spite of the fact that the reports from camps were favorable. Well, last year was not a fluke. Good for Spirit. Second, "Luck Be A Lady" was a fun number, with the showgirl enticing us all, and audiences seemed to enjoy it, but when I first saw it, the overall show caught my attention, which of course is not a bad thing, but after Allentown I listened to the San Antonio performance without the guard and marching show and the arrangement reminded me a bit of their glory days (1978-80). So when I saw them in Indy, I enjoyed what they did while allowing myself to be carried back in time.

I agree. Just listening to it does take me back in time - the intro chord structures were built like Georgia and Let it Be Me, old Jim Ott style (if it were only on a G bugle).

If they would have just remove the pointless voice over and song intro, I would love this show. Those few moments killed something for me - Changed it from a fun well structured show to a just "ok show". It threw me. It was like they lost their train of thought for those moments of the show. I can usually get over a small design decision but these... I'll stop before I say something I regret.

I actually didnt really like the show girl either - That is a me thing. I would have had a line of them. One seemed like she was Spirit of Atlantas majorette and needed a baton. One show girl was not enough, I mean SIN City was their title - make me sin.

Edited by Kevin Powell