Educating about Drum Corps

Next month i'll be talking to some jr. high students about drum corps. I'll be taking some programs, memorabilia with. If anyone has any input or ideas to make this more interesting, i'm all ears in this case eyes. Thanks.

Jr High as in middle school? Definitely show them some video snippets of the currently popular shows, maybe mix in some snippets of the older shows around the same era as the memorabilia you bring in.

Next month i'll be talking to some jr. high students about drum corps. I'll be taking some programs, memorabilia with. If anyone has any input or ideas to make this more interesting, i'm all ears in this case eyes. Thanks.

Show the Shaun Canon tape, or a World Class Division " Year in review tape " of short snippets of each of the Corps.. the tape time is short, about a minute or two long and could keep their attention. Whatever you do, do a show and tell and keep it short and moving along. I wouldn't show Junior High'ers a Corps full show (like 2012 BD and try and explain the Dada theme ), as you'll lose them faster than a recess bell for a school trip to Disney.

Edited by BRASSO

At live shows, Cavies and Crown get the greatest reaction from the younger crowd, however DVD often fails to capture some of the energy that makes them come alive. If I had to choose one of the two, I'd vote for Carolina Crown's 2011 "Rach Star."

I'd also suggest showing snippets of corps. I know one person suggested avoiding BD 2012, well yes and no. The entire show may not capture their interest, but the hula-hoop scene would be interesting. If Jersey Surf's show is available, that would be a no brainer. Colt's "All By Myself" would be a good choice. Kids would appreciate the soloist. last Spring, I showed a clip of the 1980's 27th Lancer's drum solo "New Country" to 5th graders as an example of team work and working together. They loved it! Madison's 1999 "Jesus Christ, Superstar" has aged well. You may also consider using "Blast!"

With any excerpts you choose, you'll need to make sure it is timeless as well as accessible. Star of Indiana's 1986 "Close Encounters" screams 1980's. Their 1993 "Medea" may be a classic but it would probably not impress a novice audience. Though as I think of it, their 1987 circus triibute would work. Avoid if possible shows that are clearly stuck in the 70's, 80's, 90's, or while we may see it as recent, 2000's. You might also find out what the school's band is performing. If you could find a corps performing the same music, even if the arrangement differs, it would probably be well received. Finally, remember with this age group, less is often better than more. Whet their appetites and they'll be hungry for more, give them their fill and it will make little difference.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

Show them Jersey Surf from this year. If they're middle school kids, there's a 90% chance that they've heard Party Rock. Just play them that part if you have to. Show them that drum corps can be fun and exciting.

Or another vote for Crown 2011, "Rach Star". Some of it may be over their head, but lots of good, recognizable stuff in there.

• Like 2

Show them bits from iconic shows throughout the history of the activity and let them decide what they like.

Why some folks feel the need to "protect" them from older shows is beyond me. I guess I'm from an era where kids were treated with a bit more respect than that.

• Like 3

I guess I'm from an era where kids were treated with a bit more respect than that.

Sister Mary Margaret Mullaney, SSJ had big stick in her classroom and got a whole lot of respect from me too !

• Like 1

Cabs alumni, Wayne NJ, 2009 on you tube is a good example of turning people on....horns, drums, rifles, Jimmy Russo....and easy for a middle schooler to process. Loud, cool. standing o for 45 seconds before the last note of music is even played.

If i knew as a kid that i could be on a stage somewhere in the middle of the summer, basking in the glow of a standing ovation for a performance i just did with 100 of my closest friends.....and i'd get to feel that/do that again the next night and the next and the next....I'm thinking I'd be pretty interested in that.