A Drum Corps Xbox game?!?!?!?

You'd have to accommodate grizzled veterans like Mr. Boo so I think incorporating a "judge mode" would be helpful. The judge would have to listen to musical sections and be able to correctly identify fracked notes and such. And just for fun the judge could pick up dropped drum sticks, lost shoes and return them to the proper marching member in order to score points. The judge score closest to the actual DCI judged score would win.

To appeal to a wider audience (old people), you would also have to be able to switch into "legacy mode." Judges would have to correctly identify mistakes and mark "tics" down on the scoring sheet. In legacy mode the judge would have to track time and be able to fire the starter's pistol twice to indicated the end of judging. What a great feeling that would be see your on-line legacy judge avatar running off the field with clipboard held high in the air!

What memories.

I could just see some redneck reaching for his xbox game pistol and grabbing his real pistol by accident and blowing a ####### hole through his roof!

I think a more realistic, although perhaps less engaging option would be more like a management simulator. You probably know about games like Civilization, or probably a better example, Football Manager. In these games you make choices as an overseer to help better your team.

Perhaps in this DCI simulation you play the Corps Director, handling funds in the off season, initiating fundraisers and recruiting campaigns, scheduling audition camps, all of which can have a positive or negative affect on your corps. As we move into the start of the season, perhaps take in alternating roles as different caption heads, choosing different things to rehearse, possibly picking from a set book of visuals to put in different spots, or maybe even given the option to change horn parts, add guard work, and clean percussion parts, perhaps by pressing a series of buttons in a given order. Once you get on the road, You take back your role as director, or possibly tour manager, managing problems, addressing bus breakdowns, spending money to feed the corps, and monitor the corps as a whole. You'd switch back and forth between admin and instructive roles to keep training and preparing the corps for finals, where the sum of your decisions and training results in a computer generated score.

Obviously some key details missing but that's my little bit of thought for it.

• Like 1

Well, even Madden and other sports games offered today have the front-office option as one of the game-play modes.

How about an MMORPG?

That is, an online game, involving players from all over the world. Players could select classes such as various members of a horn line, drum line, etc. They would work together in order to score points and raise the level of their Corps/Guild. As the individual players level up, they can gain skills such as cleaner movement, better musical performance, etc...thus increasing how well their group performs and scores.

Another idea would be various members of a Corps fighting another Corps with their instruments, guard equipment, etc being their weapons. Sopranos would do high frequency damage directed damage while tubas would do low frequency area of effect damage.

My modding/scripting skills are atrocious but, I did (try to) put together a standstill performance in Oblivion...

Had Legionnaires for the hornline (had only fanfare horns though), goblins on snares and ogres on bass (only drums available). Couldn't get any guard to work, so they just kinda filled up space. Had them play Crown's "Angelus".

Didn't work all that well - was too laggy and they really didn't do anything but stand there (idle animations).

It was a fun experiment anyway, hehe!

• Like 1

I think a more realistic, although perhaps less engaging option would be more like a management simulator. You probably know about games like Civilization, or probably a better example, Football Manager. In these games you make choices as an overseer to help better your team.

Perhaps in this DCI simulation you play the Corps Director, handling funds in the off season, initiating fundraisers and recruiting campaigns, scheduling audition camps, all of which can have a positive or negative affect on your corps. As we move into the start of the season, perhaps take in alternating roles as different caption heads, choosing different things to rehearse, possibly picking from a set book of visuals to put in different spots, or maybe even given the option to change horn parts, add guard work, and clean percussion parts, perhaps by pressing a series of buttons in a given order. Once you get on the road, You take back your role as director, or possibly tour manager, managing problems, addressing bus breakdowns, spending money to feed the corps, and monitor the corps as a whole. You'd switch back and forth between admin and instructive roles to keep training and preparing the corps for finals, where the sum of your decisions and training results in a computer generated score.

Obviously some key details missing but that's my little bit of thought for it.

This website has a somewhat similar version to what you are describing. Not as in-depth, but does have some of those characteristics.

http://www.fantasymarchingarts.com

The main issue here is producing something that is of the level of quality required to get approved for distribution on the platform. Unfortunately, you're looking at probably a minimum of $500k investment to get a product out on that level. The level of quality for that amount would also probably not be that great.

Anyway, the guy at Microsoft Studios (was Microsoft Game Studios) who is responsible for finding titles and negotiating deals for Microsoft's gaming platforms (XBOX, Windows, Windows Phone) was DM for UW marching band. I don't think he would need to be sold on the concept, just the execution needs to be there.

If anyone is genuinely interested in putting something like this together, probably the first thing to do would be to brainstorm lists of features, storyboard with some rough sketches and try to find some guys who are experienced in game design that dig drum corps (there are some out there, I'm sure) to help refine.

The tough part is getting the cash to get it built. That will require demonstrating the realistic potential for financial return.

The place to probably start on this aspect would be to get some market intelligence on the overlap between gamers and drum corps fans, how big is that market really, and what would they be willing to pay. You can put together some simple surveys using something like SurveyMonkey.

The main issue here is producing something that is of the level of quality required to get approved for distribution on the platform. Unfortunately, you're looking at probably a minimum of $500k investment to get a product out on that level. The level of quality for that amount would also probably not be that great.

Anyway, the guy at Microsoft Studios (was Microsoft Game Studios) who is responsible for finding titles and negotiating deals for Microsoft's gaming platforms (XBOX, Windows, Windows Phone) was DM for UW marching band. I don't think he would need to be sold on the concept, just the execution needs to be there.

If anyone is genuinely interested in putting something like this together, probably the first thing to do would be to brainstorm lists of features, storyboard with some rough sketches and try to find some guys who are experienced in game design that dig drum corps (there are some out there, I'm sure) to help refine.

The tough part is getting the cash to get it built. That will require demonstrating the realistic potential for financial return.

The place to probably start on this aspect would be to get some market intelligence on the overlap between gamers and drum corps fans, how big is that market really, and what would they be willing to pay. You can put together some simple surveys using something like SurveyMonkey.

Honestly, I think the best place to start would be talking with the people at Harmonix (developers of Rock Band and Dance Central) about seeing how realistic it would be to integrate aspects of both games controls into the interface of the game.

As for game-play modes, I see selling points at performing built in shows (up to maybe 50 to be put in the game at development), with the ability to download more from the developer. The difficulty would likely be in allowing the users to design their own show, then performing it (though, that has been addressed by small unsigned artists creating content for Rock Band to be available for download). I'll share this thread with some of the guys on twitter and see what they think.

Alright, who's in with me? It's time to invent a drum corps Xbox game. Hey, they have football and other "sports"...why not this one? The question is...HOW? Could there be a way to somehow "create shows" (or re-create old shows) and get scored against others (or the computer for one player)?

Lets have some fun with this and present some ideas. We've got nothing else to do for several months. Some of you are probably at DCA. I couldn't get tickets this year. So, I thought I would start this. Post your ideas! I don't even know if such a thing is possible but I thouht it would be fun to brainstorm anyway. :tongue:

:omg: You sir, are cut.

I'm just messing with you, but in all seriousness, nothing like this is ever going to take off...

Edited by TimbreDeBrass

The place to probably start on this aspect would be to get some market intelligence on the overlap between gamers and drum corps fans.

I think the biggest market could be high school marching band kids, who will relate to the activity but be attracted by the challenges that exceed their experience to date. They may not start out knowing much about drum corps but it could be another way of attracting their interest.