Sad News From Tampa

Just heard the sad news that due to the threat from the hurricane, Tampa Bay Thunder will not be traveling to Annapolis this weekend. I hate it for all of their members after all the hard work they had put in. I hope and pray that everyone is safe down there. I very much enjoyed their show when they came to Douglasville. Great people. All of us here at Atlanta CV wish you guys all the best moving forward. We will miss you all this weekend.

Dan

I'm confused, wasn't it just a bad rain storm for Tampa?

I live in SW Florida and all we got was Rain...nothing was too bad. Only some school cancellations for Monday for a few counties here but that was it. No real stories of damage???

Strange...I live 1 hour south of Tampa. Maybe there was more damage there than here? Not sure.

I was looking forward to see how they did in finals. That is too bad. Hope that all is okay with them.

Edited by sopbabe

According to their announcement on their Facebook page, they were facing numerous members that were not going to be able to attend for many reasons. Also mentioned " dealing with numerous school cancellations, work closures, tornado warnings, flooding and concerned parents". Hate it for them.

Dan

Before the rumours fly:

Immediate Release

Due to the effects of Hurricane Isaac and with members from across the entire state of Florida, the Tampa bay Thunder is forced to make the hard decision not to attend DCA finals this year. While the storm is away from Florida we are all still dealing with school cancellations, work closures, tornado warnings, flooding and concerned parents. As of today we had 17 members express that they could not attend for a multitude of reasons related to the week being disrupted.

We wish all competitors at DCA World Championships a safe and successful journey! The Thunder would like to thank our families, friends and fans for supporting us this season and while we did not reach our competitive goals our membership was exposed to multiple performances, exhibitions and community events which are the backbone of establishing roots!

The 2013 Open House will be held November 24th and 25th at the Florida State Fairgrounds

in Tampa as we look for a record number of members auditioning for next summer. The Thunder is committed to providing DCA and DCA South a sound competitive and responsible organization for the long term future.

Band parents and kids in school are a different animal than over 18's. This is a reasonable note from reasonable people who are making a tough but reasonable decision with the youngest corps in all of DCA. Let's not drop the ball on an awesome season, put away a few shekels and put it all to good use in 2013.

I live in SW Florida and all we got was Rain...nothing was too bad. Only some school cancellations for Monday for a few counties here but that was it. No real stories of damage???

Strange...I live 1 hour south of Tampa. Maybe there was more damage there than here? Not sure.

I was looking forward to see how they did in finals. That is too bad. Hope that all is okay with them.

It was much, much worse on the East Coast. We ended up with over 11" of rain, several tornadoes touched down, flooding everywhere...

All schools and Govt offices are closed today.

But I guess the decision was made by TBT earlier before anyyone knew where Isaac was going - better safe than sorry!

(Now I worry about our friends in New Orleans)

Sorry to hear but good for the corps to put their members first. And I'd think this affected more than just the under 21 aged members....

Feel for 'em as I cancelled out of going to DCA twice in the last few years due to family matters. Hard to concentrate on Drum Corps when there are problems or questions going on back home.

• Like 1

It was much, much worse on the East Coast. We ended up with over 11" of rain, several tornadoes touched down, flooding everywhere...

All schools and Govt offices are closed today.

But I guess the decision was made by TBT earlier before anyyone knew where Isaac was going - better safe than sorry!

(Now I worry about our friends in New Orleans)

Then it makes sense. I have to remember that members I am sure come from various areas of the State of FL to be with TBT..So sorry to hear about the East Coast as I did not know of the damage on your side. Hope all is well over there!!!

Edited by sopbabe