Chord Sequences?

This is called "Pants"? I never knew it had a name. We played it back when I marched. I want to say Doug Thrower brought this to the corps, anyone remember for sure?

I believe the official title was "A World Without Pants." I think Doug wrote it after going to a "no pants party" or something. Thinking it over, Thumbs, Pants, and Two Words (which they've stopped playing...) are all equally awesome. Doug Thrower arranges some fantastic stuff.

BD did a great variation of F tuning in 1995, the year they did the Carpe Noctem show. It was in a minor key and was really menacing. I wish I had a recording of that! :worthy:

Now I want to really find something with this version of their tuning sequence!!!! :bluedevil::devil:

Bob....

Nevermind....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by maestro!

BD actually recorded it again as part of their 2011 preseason recordings.. Unfortunately, they were so occupied with creating/fixing the show, they never got around to using & performing it throughout the season. The preseason recording is still available on their Mediabox for anyone who wants to hear it though!

Early 90's Crossmen shows could really be the answer to any "favorite" threads. Krempasky (the arranger... I think?) really liked playing with incredibly simple nonchord tones over lengthy durations and the end result was typically orgasmic. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

This is more Don Ellis' work than anyone who's ever played Niner Two, but I've always loved the way the progressions worked out in the main melody.

Most of the chart's chords essentially just run up the scale diatonically: I, ii, iii, IV, etc. The last minute or so of the show really illustrates how slow the chords moved. I think the main melody shouts before going through this specific progression:

IV! IV! IV!

(drum solo)

V! V! V!

(drum solo)

flat-VI! flat-VI! flat VI!

(drum solo)

flat-VII! flat-VII! flat VII!

(drum solo)

I (extended shout)

IV (very extended chord!)

V (wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

I (BIG SHOUT to the end!)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

Crown had an awesome one in 2011. I think it was just a few chords from the show. The YouTube video of that is incredible.

Sweet Baby JESUS!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!

I gotta say that BD probably takes the cake as far as progressions go.

Stars used the chord progression from New World for a few years. I had always hoped that it would become a tradition there, but sadly it went away when Brad Green went to Scouts.. sad day :( but anyway here is a clip of that from the 08 crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ-VwIXTofE&feature=related