Warm up and/or Encore Songs

I know that BK uses "Nimrod" as a warm-up and they've played it in encore performances and I've seen videos of Phantom doing "Sanctus" and Cadets doing "On a Hymnsong of Philip Bliss". I love all three of them.

I would like to know of other notable pieces used by Corps.

(if you can, provide a link so I can see or hear them)

Thanks.

• Like 1

Phantom Regiment used to use Leroy Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" as a warm up piece. They'd face the back field and would move without marking time. At the time if you marked time or played a note facing "concert side" the timing gun would be fired and you'd incur a penalty. My guess is that it would have been somewhere between 1976 and 1978.

Hmmm...

I saw something I haven't noticed before...or maybe it just never got my attention. When most of the Corps bring their instruments up, it's one fluid motion of raising and rotating the instrument to the lips. Cadets, however, is different. They use two distinct movements, one to raise the instrument and the other to rotate it. Is this just something they do to be different? Or is there a reason for this?

• Like 1

Devils playing Anakin's Theme in the lot is one of my all time favorite drum corps moments.

There's a you-know-what posted you-know-where that will simply slay you

Hmmm...

I saw something I haven't noticed before...or maybe it just never got my attention. When most of the Corps bring their instruments up, it's one fluid motion of raising and rotating the instrument to the lips. Cadets, however, is different. They use two distinct movements, one to raise the instrument and the other to rotate it. Is this just something they do to be different? Or is there a reason for this?

There is a reason, and I'm sure other's can do the story the justice that it deserves, but I can give an overview:

The Cadets had a mellophone player back in the 80s that had a prosthetic left hand, so they added counts to the horn move for her benefit. Since then, they've kept the horn move. She is often mentioned in discussions on DCP about best soloists. I think she was a soloist in 83 and 84. Here are a couple clips:

edit: here's an interview with her also http://www.middlehornleader.com/Maroney%20Interview.htm

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1