Warm up and/or Encore Songs

THIS...is what Drum Corps is about. If everyone would listen to this, and then measure their post to this standard before clicking "post" I believe there would be less boasting, less belittling, less negativity and bickering. The immense knowledge, ideas, tradition and love for Drum Corps that all members of DCP possess would truly come out and we could all learn, reminisce, and respect each generation has given to this wonderful activity in each generation. It's not about how many titles you have, it is about how many memories you were a part of, how you contributed to improving yourself and each person around you. How you helped create and shape a special moment for your Corps and each fan that you touched.

I've learned much from everyone on DCP. I love Drum Corps and the fact my daughter has benefitted from what was created and nurtured all these years from its infancy. I hope my son makes a Corps next year and i see his growth also. I see the same life skills and life-long friendships developing in WGI each winter when they march. (similar arguements too! lol

In the meantime, I'd love to see everyone here respect each others opinions, have constructive dialogue and try to further and enhance such a great activity no matter it's course or changes. I appreciate all the knowledge that each of you have given me with your posts. It makes me wish I had been exposed to the opportunity when I was that age.

I think Barbara had it right. I think each one of you has that same feeling inside too. For if you marched, you had to feel that way to still love Drum Corps and hold it so dear to your heart and memory.

Yes. I'm now hooked. I watch videos constantly, so I appreciate all those clips people share!!!!! Each era is special in its own right. I find them all fascinating and worthy of being the best. Edited by GuardPercDad
  • Like 4

Pioneer troops the stands with Garry Owen after their shows! They played it on the field this year, though. Still cool!

There is a reason, and I'm sure other's can do the story the justice that it deserves, but I can give an overview:

The Cadets had a mellophone player back in the 80s that had a prosthetic left hand, so they added counts to the horn move for her benefit. Since then, they've kept the horn move. She is often mentioned in discussions on DCP about best soloists. I think she was a soloist in 83 and 84. Here are a couple clips:

edit: here's an interview with her also http://www.middlehor...20Interview.htm

Thanks, soccerguy315.

Cadets are a class act, for sure.

I also noticed that Ms. Maroney has had a connection with the Blue Knights. Cool!

Phantom Regiment used to use Leroy Anderson's "Phantom Regiment" as a warm up piece. They'd face the back field and would move without marking time. At the time if you marked time or played a note facing "concert side" the timing gun would be fired and you'd incur a penalty. My guess is that it would have been somewhere between 1976 and 1978.

I also recall hearing PR play the "National Emblem" march, maybe sometime back in the 80's or early 90's. Perhaps a bit of a nod to long time drum instructor Marty Hurley's days with the Blessed Sac Golden Knights?

regards,

Fred O.

P.S. How did they move without marking time? :huh: