Just a Thought....

get out there and listen to more music?

That's an OK premise for us. At the urging of a WC caption head I've started listening to some music he sent that is pretty new for me.

But how do you tell Mom and Pop that they probably should look up some cutting edge music before thinking about attending a show? Do we really want to be that self-absorbed?

It would take 3 or 4 of the of the top eight corps to play without electronics and amps to even think about making a change. We've lost the horns forever.

The horn deal... The corporate deals of lease, purchase, and sale of the marching instruments - while needed because corps are broke - is what killed the G-Bugles

The electronics and amps - same deal. It is all about more money avenues and they can happen to sell a few to some marching bands across the country.

Sure, but when something is consistently a big enough problem for multiple corps to have coined its own phrase, i.e. "thunderous goo", I think it's fair to say it's not just me. Are you saying you love the overwhelming bass that just about every corps produces these days effectively rendering the lower brass obsolete multiple times during shows?

That is just a derogatory term created by a person who dislikes low end synths. Meaningless. yes, I love the addition of the bass below the tuba range...it does a great job of creating an even fuller sound than before. It is not 'overwhelming' in most cases...and where it is too heavy hopefully they corps suffers score-wise. To those who dislike it in any way, shape or form, ANY low-end sound is overwhelming, so I just discount those comments.

It would take 3 or 4 of the of the top eight corps to play without electronics and amps to even think about making a change. We've lost the horns forever.

The horn deal... The corporate deals of lease, purchase, and sale of the marching instruments - while needed because corps are broke - is what killed the G-Bugles

The electronics and amps - same deal. It is all about more money avenues and they can happen to sell a few to some marching bands across the country.

I may be an anomoly in the dino world, but I could care less about Bb vs. G.

I would assume there is far less money in the electronics than there is in the hornline. I don't see that as a compelling reason to believe we're stuck with it.

• Like 2

I hate to admit that I agree. Personally (again, my opinion so I'm entitled to it) I have yet to see/hear one single show where electronics have added something good. I feel lucky when it "barely detracts" from a show, but that's getting less and less each year (again, for me). Some shows I have felt downright embarrassed about and certainly wouldn't want to have brought a friend to show them what I was always talking about for the past 25 years.

2004 Crown is one of my all-time favorite shows ever....Cadets 2005 and 2007 were great...Cascades Airborne Symphony was a great use of narration. Just this year...Blue Knights opening number was my favorite number of the season. Lots of great use of electronics, and it just gets better.

• Like 1

I would assume there is far less money in the electronics than there is in the hornline. I don't see that as a compelling reason to believe we're stuck with it.

Agree on the financial stuff. The reason we are 'stuck' is because electronics are adding some great musical moments in modern corps, so I hope we stay 'stuck'.

• Like 2

That's an OK premise for us. At the urging of a WC caption head I've started listening to some music he sent that is pretty new for me.

But how do you tell Mom and Pop that they probably should look up some cutting edge music before thinking about attending a show? Do we really want to be that self-absorbed?

You don't have to be listening to the latest cutting edge music to recognize some of the stuff put on the field this summer. Just in Bluecoats' show alone, you had Masquerade, Love Dance (from cirque du soleil), and a Bon Iver song (Flume).

Among others were:

Rhapsody in Blue

Firebird

The Planets

The Pines of Rome

Fanfare for the Common Man (in its entirety, as written)

Music from major motion picture "Corpse Bride"

An entire show of Bridgemen classics

Nessun Dorma

New World Symphony

Pictures

Malaga

Malaguena

Lady Gaga

Luck Be a Lady

Carol of the Bells

Do you Hear What I Hear

Jingle Bells

Hark the Herald

Don Juan

Rite of Spring

That's a whole lot of really accessible stuff from a lot of different backgrounds, not all that different from the vastly different and eclectic stuff that was being played 20 years ago.

• Like 2

Agree on the financial stuff. The reason we are 'stuck' is because electronics are adding some great musical moments in modern corps, so I hope we stay 'stuck'.

The question of whether it is "great" or not is one of those sweeping subjective statements of opinion I've been told I shouldn't use....