Just a Thought....

We all owe this to Rock drummer legend...Carmine Appice who said on a DCI telecast telecast BITD. He saw the future of Drum Corps and we all laughed!

I see your point (though I had to google Tardis...I'm not a Doctor Who fan :rolleyes: )

However, kids now are growing up in an ever increasingly electronic environment. Much of the music they listen to is electronic in some manner.

..and yet kids join every kind of "traditional" music ensemble there is, from the school stage band to ethnic traditional groups. None are plugged in.

i agree some guard unis are quite horrible mainly because many guard instructors also think they are broadway dancers as well as fashionestas..Chop and bop as many call it hasnt bothered me at all..I think bitd we called it a medley..lol..I kind of find it interesting how people fit things in musically and transition it from one thing to another...but again just an opinion

But every show is a medley now. It's very seldom that a melody is sustained for any length of time, because they have to incorporate so many elements that support the theme.

And for the record, I always thought medleys were cheesy - whether it was BITD drum corps, modern drum corps, your local community stage band or a rock retrospective.

• Like 1

But every show is a medley now. It's very seldom that a melody is sustained for any length of time, because they have to incorporate so many elements that support the theme.

And for the record, I always thought medleys were cheesy - whether it was BITD drum corps, modern drum corps, your local community stage band or a rock retrospective.

i could agree or disagree and it all just becomes a personal taste....some actually feel listening to a song for 3 min is boring also and takes to long to develope...as the counter will say it all happens to fast......so there ya have it..lol

• Like 1

..and yet kids join every kind of "traditional" music ensemble there is, from the school stage band to ethnic traditional groups. None are plugged in.

i wouldnt say none are plugged in I would say some..church choires are plugged in even today...I got to see some reinactments of a cival war thing...was interesting and plugged in with effects etc etc....2012 enhancements are involved in many things where it didnt exsist before.

Don't remember this - can you expand please?

If I remember correctly, he was a guest on the PBS broadcast of the 1981 Whitewater show (there was no broadcast from Montreal that year).

The 1981 DVDs/Fan Network Videos are from that broadcast but have had the commentary removed.

i could agree or disagree and it all just becomes a personal taste....some actually feel listening to a song for 3 min is boring also and takes to long to develope...as the counter will say it all happens to fast......so there ya have it..lol

Sure - that's why I said "I always thought...."

I think a variety of both would be good, but most all corps are in the "medley mode" because of the theme development thing.

You probably remember Blue Devils 76 - only three tunes, zero boredom!

Edited by Grandpa

i wouldnt say none are plugged in I would say some..church choires are plugged in even today...I got to see some reinactments of a cival war thing...was interesting and plugged in with effects etc etc....2012 enhancements are involved in many things where it didnt exsist before.

Sure - but the point was that in 2012, kids can still be attracted to join and stay with music forms that are not electronic. As a recruitment tool, it really isn't needed.