DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

Is it not time to hold the Mini Corps judges accountable for their scores? Why are they not taped with info that we can use for next year? The Mass Brass scoresheets said, "great job", "aggressive charts" ect...and oh yeh, here's your score "you suck". What's that all about? Not a shred of information that could help us for next year...nothing. Our scores have been declining the last couple of years and we're not sure why and have been giving "0" feedback from the judges. If the judges don't want to be there or it is a major incovenience for them, then maybe DCA should find people that do want to be there. How long would it take to comment or give us feedback, 1 minute or so.....considering the amount of time and effort everyone puts into their shows, I don't think that's too much to ask. Time for a change, time for the judges to show a little respect for the performers that have worked hard all year for this show. All the Mini Corps deserve better! People were asking "where have all the Mini Corps gone?" simple.....Corps were getting their ##### handed to them and no one told them why, add that to the time and expense it takes to get on the field or stage and there's your answer, it's not worth the trouble. Unless the Judges can clean up their act and show a little respect for the Corps that are competing, the numbers will only get worse.

• Like 5

Is it not time to hold the Mini Corps judges accountable for their scores? Why are they not taped with info that we can use for next year? The Mass Brass scoresheets said, "great job", "aggressive charts" ect...and oh yeh, here's your score "you suck". What's that all about? Not a shred of information that could help us for next year...nothing. Our scores have been declining the last couple of years and we're not sure why and have been giving "0" feedback from the judges. If the judges don't want to be there or it is a major incovenience for them, then maybe DCA should find people that do want to be there. How long would it take to comment or give us feedback, 1 minute or so.....considering the amount of time and effort everyone puts into their shows, I don't think that's too much to ask. Time for a change, time for the judges to show a little respect for the performers that have worked hard all year for this show. All the Mini Corps deserve better! People were asking "where have all the Mini Corps gone?" simple.....Corps were getting their ##### handed to them and no one told them why, add that to the time and expense it takes to get on the field or stage and there's your answer, it's not worth the trouble. Unless the Judges can clean up their act and show a little respect for the Corps that are competing, the numbers will only get worse.

And away we go.......I cant believe it took a whole 5 days for one of these posts to show up. I was hoping we wouldnt have to read these types of posts, Boy was I wrong.

• Like 3

Mike,

It may just be time to look at the Mini Corps activity and the whole judging system again. We probably need a new sheet specific to mini corps. We have talked about tapes for a long time, and maybe now is the time to implement them.

The fact that we are not gaining members and actually losing corps needs to be looked at closely. I am sure that these issues will be addressed. If we all stay cool about this, it will happen. Kevin Hassan is very receptive and aware that some things could be better.

Donny

• Like 3

im not involved in this and dont really go BUT is it an issue? could there be others feeling the same?

Maybe it is, Maybe it isnt. But maybe contacting the judging administrator for DCA and having a civil conversation with the man rather than posting on DCP would be the better solution. The original post just sounds like sour grapes to me. And im 100% sure if his team won without tapes being supplied im sure we wouldnt be reading this post tonight.

On a side note ... This was also the first full season the DCA has NOT used tapes for judging, They have gone to a MP3 type of recorder where the tabulator sends the judges critique directly to the corps directors cell phone for distribution to staff. pretty high tech! Believe it or not , This system SAVES money from the old "cassette tape" method.

Im sure the days of judges tapes in DCA are over for ever, Especially for a one time per season event as the mini corps show.

• Like 5

Maybe it is, Maybe it isnt. But maybe contacting the judging administrator for DCA and having a civil conversation with the man rather than posting on DCP would be the better solution. The original post just sounds like sour grapes to me. And im 100% sure if his team won without tapes being supplied im sure we wouldnt be reading this post tonight.

On a side note ... This was also the first full season the DCA has NOT used tapes for judging, They have gone to a MP3 type of recorder where the tabulator sends the judges critique directly to the corps directors cell phone for distribution to staff. pretty high tech! Believe it or not , This system SAVES money from the old "cassette tape" method.

Im sure the days of judges tapes in DCA are over for ever, Especially for a one time per season event as the mini corps show.

ok...just askin :smile:

Then why don't they use all this technology? Sounds like sour grapes? Clean your ears out. I'm not complaining about what the judges gave us for a score, I'm complaining about what the judges don't give us for input!

I'm 100% sure that your not even in a Mini Corps, because if you were, you would understand exactly what I'm talking about. Ever hear of MCA Mr."Here We Go again"? That group tried for years to work with DCA to do something about or to broaden the Judges sheets, to no avail...but I'm sure you already knew that

• Like 2

HBD,

Your response in your "side note" that DCA judging now uses digital recordings indicates to me that you don't fully understand the situation.

Audio recording does not occur with Mini Corps - that is the issue.

Furthermore your "100%" statement about placement being the driver is just plain wrong. It has nothing to do with the situation, as this issue has been raised on many occasions over the last five years, and no progress has been made in rectifying the situation. It comes down to the future viability of the activity itself, as more and more Mini Corps are deciding to stay home.

The original poster is correct, in that there are no judges tapes, (or digital recordings of any kind) furnished to competing Mini Corps. Three score sheets are produced with no correlation between them. One sheet had only these three comments: "Aggressive Book", "Well Done", and "Excellent Job" followed by a score. There are no category breakdowns on the sheet.

There are no critiques or opportunities to have judges explain a given score. There are no recap sheets produced. There is no way of determining if there is a deficiency in show design, content, execution, performance, etc. There is no opportunity to measure strengths and weaknesses vs the competition. Since there is zero judging feedback, next year's show by default is developed in a vacuum.

Could you imagine a scenario in which the Caballeros (for example) received a single score, with no granularity as to how it was arrived at, coupled with no information as to what any other corps scored in any category, and no opportunity to question the judges as to how the score was arrived at? Their score sheet simply said "Nice Job". One can only imagine that the second place corps score sheet said "Really, Nice Job"

I suspect that this would be the subject of much more discussion if it were Open Class Corps instead of Mini's.

Mini Corps spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours of time in developing the shows that you see on Friday night at the I&E. We truly enjoy the opportunity to compete, and the thrill of performing in front of a wonderful crowd.

Shouldn't Mini Corps have access to the same professional judging evaluation that is afforded to all other competing drum corps?

Edited by pmaustin
  • Like 4

knew it was a matter of time. oh and I doubt the sheet said "you suck"

• Like 2

Then why don't they use all this technology? Sounds like sour grapes? Clean your ears out. I'm not complaining about what the judges gave us for a score, I'm complaining about what the judges don't give us for input!

I'm 100% sure that your not even in a Mini Corps, because if you were, you would understand exactly what I'm talking about. Ever hear of MCA Mr."Here We Go again"? That group tried for years to work with DCA to do something about or to broaden the Judges sheets, to no avail...but I'm sure you already knew that

well, did the mini corps offer to pay for this technology to be used?

DCA lets the mini corps perform there. You aren't DCA members. Be glad they give you the opportunity to play

• Like 3