DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

If you need someone else to tell you you have tempo problems, or a weak show, or you're not selling it, no amount of comments are going to help you. Seriously. Look in the mirror to find the problem.

We don't need someone to tell us that, and no one ever has...that was an example...but don't tell us we were great and then give us a fair score, just justify the score whether it it be great, fair, or bad. Have the comments match the score and then we would have a better understanding of where we went wrong

• Like 2

The problem with that is they are pointing out weakness and strengths of THIS YEARS SHOW....next year you might have the same problems all over again with a totally different show or totally different concept!

I do have to ask you this Mike.....

And this is just an example....

Let's say that this year you played "Jazzmerelda".

You get a tape at finals with a comment like, "Nice Job with the chart, but I just didn't feel the jazziness as an ensemble like I should"....again..just an example.

Now lets say, for example, that next year you decide to go in a totally different direction, and play "The 1812 Overture" like Phantom did it, or Reading did this year...

How is the comment about jazziness this year going to help you play 1812 next year?

Just think about that...

Agreed Frank, but for the most part we try to stay consistant with our music from year to year, with a couple of exceptions. Maybe it's time to change it up, who knows...

Agreed Frank, but for the most part we try to stay consistant with our music from year to year, with a couple of exceptions. Maybe it's time to change it up, who knows...

I know....I was just using it as an example.

And sometimes I think I know you guys better then you do! :biggrin:

Some day Mike, i'll be in line with you guys!!! :thumbup:

Mike...to me it sounds like you expected the judges to elaborate a little more than they did on the sheets.

Is that what you were saying?

You have to uderstand....even the DCA member corps do NOT get a tape after prelims or finals. All they get are the judges sheets with their comments. YES...I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND where you are coming from, and YES, I agree they SHOULD elaborate more than just "Nice Job", or "Great Show". But as far as tapes, or mp3's, it's just not going to happen. And I know it stinks....but since the judges do not give out tapes or mp3's for the DCA member corps finals performance, they are not going to do it for the Mini Corps at THEIR final performance either, sorry to say!

I feel for ya man.....I really, REALLY do!

Frank, You are wrong about the tapes... I personally have the MP-3 of the Renegades 2009 Ensemble Music Judges' recording for DCA finals. He made commentary about something important and close to me in the show. I listen to it regularly... In fact sometimes it is my work out recording!

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 3