Could it happen?

azul

Here's an interesting trivia caption score, imo :

In 1977, the Corps that finished first in Percussion ( with both Percussion caption judges too ) in the prelims failed to even quality for Finals.

The Oakland Crusaders ( Canada ) had a phenomenal drum line that year compared to their competitors. They finished 15th in the prelims, but swept all the Percussion Captions ( tech.& exp. ) beating Blue Devils,Phantom, Bridgemen, SCV etc that year. They won total Percussion by a lot too... 6.5 tenths. I believe that this is the first and only time that a DCI World Class Division Corps won a caption outright in prelims, but failed to make Finals.

That is one of my most glaring examples, but I didn't use it because whenever I've mentioned it in the past, I've received responses that it's still too painful for some who were in the line, which was instructed by Tom Float.

And Al?

That is one of my most glaring examples, but I didn't use it because whenever I've mentioned it in the past, I've received responses that it's still too painful for some who were in the line, which was instructed by Tom Float.

The closest will probably be Cadets 2011, they won GE, but did not win Brass, Percussion, visual or guard.

A lot of years, I really think this would be possible. When you look at the quality of the level of coprs in the usual top 4(BD, Cadets, SCV, and Cavaliers) and then add in Crown, Phantom, and Bluecoats, you have so many tons of ways the captions could add up. You can have an amazing drumline or hornline, and still end up in 5th place at finals in that caption.

It is also cool that the highest scoring percussion was in a corps who didn't make finals. That is why I honestly believe all caption winners should be awarded on quarterfinals/prelims. I mean, if Pioneer should have best drums, or Academy has the best hornline, they should be rewarded for it on their quarterfinals performance. Every corps should have a shot at the award even if they aren't in the hunt for a title, or even top 12

Back to the corps that won percussion, Oakland Crusaders. Congrats to them. What an amazing accomplishment. One thing to note though, is that was a completely different time in drum corps. Most corps were local, so evening out the captions across the board was a lot more difficult, given the talent wasn't necessarily based on talent, but who was in the neighborhood at the time. I think it is almost impossible today to win a caption if you aren't in the top 7. With the talent level they draw, and sometimes a financial advantage that they have over other corps, it might be possible to win a caption or 2 against a couple of the lower corps in that caption, I think beating Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers, SCV, Crown, Phantom and Bluecoats all to win a caption, might be a little difficult, if not close to impossible for a corps who isn't even going to make finals. Back in the late 70s and 80s, when corps didn't necessarily have 400-1000 kids auditioning like the top 7 sometimes do these days, it made it a lot easier to be competitive in any given caption. But to be honest, wouldn't it be cool for the activity, if a corps like Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Colts, Pioneer, or Jersey Surf walked away with a caption award. And while that is probably unlikely in the next couple of years, given history, it would be neat.

But it wouldn't surprised me in the least, as talented as the top 7 plus corps are, if a cops did end up winning a title without winning a single caption in the next few years.

Back to the corps that won percussion, Oakland Crusaders. Congrats to them. What an amazing accomplishment. One thing to note though, is that was a completely different time in drum corps. Most corps were local, so evening out the captions across the board was a lot more difficult, given the talent wasn't necessarily based on talent, but who was in the neighborhood at the time.

I understand your point that " it was a different era ", and this is true. But for some perspective, by 1977 a lot of these Corps were not quite as " local " as they were a decade earlier. They still drew most of their talent regionally however. They did not have access to hundreds of auditioneers. No Corps did. So thats even a bigger accomplishment, imo. Also, unlike 2012, where there is one percussion judge, there were 2 percussion judges. The Oakland Crusaders won with both judges in the '77 DCI Prelims, and in each of the 2 captions in both too, for a total of winning all 4 Percussion Captions across the board.. and by a lot, 6.5 tenths ( over Blue Devils, who came in 2nd in Percussion in the prelims and eventually won the 1977 Title the next nite, as well as High Percussion Award ). The Oakland Crusaders finished 1st in Percussion out of 45 Drum Corps in the Prelims that year, another amazing thing. Thats because of the sheer numbers of Corps that could have topped them in Percussion in the Prelims. This was not an anomaly for the Corps that year either, as they had beaten a lot of these top Corps in Percussion that year prior to the prelims that summer. For example, they failed to make the top 12 at Allentown, ( finished 13th ) but finished 2nd in Percussion in that Prelims. By mid July they were either winning drums or close to it in every show they competed in, no matter the competition.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Coincidentally, Carol Munro, who was in this 1977 1st place Drum line of the Oakland Crusaders as a xylophone player, died of cancer this past Saturday and there is a thread mention of her passing below.

• Like 1

Wow, did not know it had happened already at several shows! Thanks for the answers and all the cool trivia btw! Knew about Oakland Cru from a few people who taught me. I do agree that it would be near impossible to have that happen anytime soon again though.

The closest will probably be Cadets 2011, they won GE, but did not win Brass, Percussion, visual or guard.

They won vis performance that year so they had 2 captions. Also Phantom only won drums in 2008 and everything else went to Devs. But Phantoms music score overall was higher

It was the audio CD collection booklet, I think, that said Star in '91 didn't win a caption outright but tied in three.

Mike

And you believe something written by an idiot? :tongue:

They won vis performance that year so they had 2 captions. Also Phantom only won drums in 2008 and everything else went to Devs. But Phantoms music score overall was higher

Because BD was 5th in drums. That was the difference that led to Phantom winning