Could it happen?

azul

Vanguard got a perfect GE score in the TIC era (of course GE was non-tic based) in the 1975 Finals---still lost to the Madison Scouts.

Scott Smith

From the notes I keep for such a thing.

For first time in DCI finals history, the Champion (Star of Indiana) did not win a single caption outright, but instead tied in three captions.

Other caption trivia some may find of interest:

Madision Scouts received the first perfect caption score to be awarded at a DCI World Championship; for brass.

Blue Devils became the youngest corps (in its sixth year of competition) to win the DCI title, and also became the first corps to win all finals captions.

Due to a tie for High Percussion, five different corps shared the four high caption scores.

Blue Devils became only the second corps to sweep all captions at finals, the other being Devils from ten years earlier.

Garfield Cadets edged Santa Clara Vanguard by just .1 for the title, with SCV having lost only lost two shows all season, both in the final week and both by only .1. Both the top two corps won only one caption and tied two captions with each other.

Blue Devils’ streak of winning at least one caption at DCI World finals was snapped, after standing for 11 years-in-a-row.

Thank you Michael. Those are all amazingly cool trivia facts. Didn't the Cadets also sweep all captions and sub-captions in 2005?

I;ve sen it happen in the band world, but in DCI, you have to win GE. when's the last time someone won but didn't win GE?

SCV won DCI Prelims in 1983 in exactly the scenario discussed: We were second by a couple tenths across the board, while Garfield was down quite a bit in percussion and BD was down a little in brass and GE.

Garfield Cadets edged Santa Clara Vanguard by just .1 for the title, with SCV having lost only lost two shows all season, both in the final week and both by only .1. Both the top two corps won only one caption and tied two captions with each other.

To clarify, we lost two shows all season if you include finals, and were undefeated going into championship week. The spread at prelims was a bit more than 0.1 (something like 0.5).

I;ve sen it happen in the band world, but in DCI, you have to win GE. when's the last time someone won but didn't win GE?

I was going to start a thread with this the other day and researched it at FromThePressbox - turns out it's actually fairly common. Not so much in recent history, but in the 90's / early 00's it was every few years.

Mike

it's actually not that difficult. If someone is "close" in GE, say 2nd by .2 or .3, but is 1 point up in percussion or brass, then they can easily win without winning GE. Sometimes, it is a smaller caption than GE that decides things. Look at 2008. BD's percussion tanked them, and kept them from winning. Probably stopped them in 2000 as well.

Thank you Michael. Those are all amazingly cool trivia facts. Didn't the Cadets also sweep all captions and sub-captions in 2005?

They did sweep all captions. I don't remember about the sub=captions. Does someone out there still have a recap sheet for 2005 Finals?

Didn't know that anyone had gotten a perfect score in the tick era: thanks for the trivia!!

Here's an interesting trivia caption score, imo :

In 1977, the Corps that finished first in Percussion ( with both Percussion caption judges too ) in the prelims failed to even quality for Finals.

The Oakland Crusaders ( Canada ) had a phenomenal drum line that year compared to their competitors. They finished 15th in the prelims, but swept all the Percussion Captions ( tech.& exp. ) beating Blue Devils,Phantom, Bridgemen, SCV etc that year. They won total Percussion by a lot too... 6.5 tenths. I believe that this is the first and only time that a DCI World Class Division Corps won a caption outright in prelims, but failed to make Finals.

Edited by BRASSO

27th and Avant Garde can be put in the "strong drumline" category.

27th got beat by 14 points at DCI East in '84 (6th) and won drums by 1.5.

In Whitewater, they took high drums and placed 11th.

That stuff is unheard of anymore.

1984 New York Lancers took top drums in open prelims while placing 13th. They were some bad mama jamma's. Red drums. Many notes. Good line.

Edited by wishbonecav