Classic Drum Corps Moments!

My moment... we were at a show in 88 that was rained out(Dolly Parton school) SCV and the Madison Scouts were headlining the show, both hornlines were gonna give the crowd something for coming to the show so inside we lined up on the second floor facing each other with the crowd below us... SCV played there closer to us and we played our closer for them. A pure Classic Drum Corps Moment... one I will never forget.

Whats yours?

This coincidentally is "the" moment one of the '85 guys I marched with talked about as being his highlight during his years in SCV '85-'89-- he also marched baritone; his name is Mikey Cline. If you guys hung out afterward he was the "uber" skinny kid. Also, kudos to your time at Madison!

• Like 1

I've written about this before, but three years ago I lost my dad and mom within months of each other. I went into the funeral home room before Mom's wake started and found stunningly gorgeous flower displays from Jeff Fiedler, Blue Devils and The Cadets. I was positively overwhelmed because that represented to me what drum corps is all about. I've had countless wonderful moments while marching in corps and corps-related, but that is the moment that sticks with me.

Less than three months later, I ran into Dave Gibbs at the WGI World Championship and kind of broke down trying to thank him for what that meant to me at a time I most needed to know I wasn't alone. And that's one reason among many that I'm quick to jump to the defense of the BD and Cadets organizations when I feel they are being unfairly criticized for something.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there are many moments when we realize that drum corps people watch out for other drum corps people, are there for them when needed and will never let other drum corps people down.

Classic!

I guess my favorite moment happenend in '85

I think it was DC East if I remember correctly. Garfield (Cadets) were incredible that night and we (Les Eclipses) were next to them at retreat. They were announcing caption awards and, naturally, Cadets were winning them all. By the time they got to the high guard award - Cadets guard captain had already started counting off for the guard salute...but in an incredible turn of events...high guard that night was awarded to Les Eclipses! It was very hard keeping our compsure and trying hard not to laugh as our guard captain started counting off for us. That was probably one of my ultimate favorite moments of drum corps ever!

Later,

Mike

• Like 3

Drum corps is such a special time for members, particularly for jr. corps members who are growing up in the activity. Many of your most poignant memories of late youth involve drum corps, it's actually hard to draw the line. (Granted, I also had plenty of non-corps friends).

A bunch of us car pooled to practice, and one time the driver, Sue, stopped at a light and we did a Chinese fire drill (we all got out and ran around the car). A guy standing on the sidewalk was amused. Sue explained to him where we were going, and convinced him to come with us to practice to check it out. He did. He joined. They ended up going out. Last I heard, they had kids together, but I can't verify that.

• Like 1

moment... circa mid 80's,

Arriving in Allentown was an experience all it's own back in the day. We would do a show the night before and then drive to the stadium, arriving late we would unload and sleep outside on the ground... camping you might say. I always looked to explore everywhere we went. Usually when we arrived somewhere it was a givin that somebody would be meeting us to...drink a beverage, not just Allentown but everywhere. It was a rare night if somebody was not meeting us to sit up late drinking a beverage and talking Drum Corps to the wee hours of the night ( we were to be sleeping, I usually never delt with rules real well). On this night it had to be about 2 or 3 in the morning and as me and a buddy were sitting drinking our beverage, 2 fellows walked up and asked "what we were doing"? I told them straight up "drinking a beverage with an old friend and talking Drum Corps", they asked if we had one for them and that if they may join us... of course... we did. Over the next few hours we talked about all things Drum Corps, it was crazy, me this midwestern dude from Madison talking with these east coast gentelmen that new so much about Drum Corps. One of the 2 talked and talked and talked, the other kinda just hung out would add something every once and awhile, but the other dude holy cow could he talk. I myself recieved a history lesson this very night by these 2 and me being the sponge that I was I took it all in... it was frikin classic! At the end it was time for me to get some sleep (I had prelims soon) so I stood up to thank them for hanging out with us, shook there hand and gave them my name, they both said thanks for the beverage, shook my hand and said they would see me soon, "my name is Mark" and the talkative gentelmen did the same and said his name was... George. I did not know who these two were then, I know who they are now.

Mark is still with us doing his thing, Geoge has been gone for awhile now, but is missed a whole bunch... In my book, they are both Icons of our activity!

• Like 1

Great story Jason. You brought back alot of memories for me. Thanks!

Best post in a long time so I will come back for this one!

1976 with Royal Coachmen. This was our best year in 7 years with the corps. We won a show in Hammondsport, NY literally at the tip of a Finger Lake. We chose to not go to Marion or Butler that year and so the only "National Show" we did was the NT Open. There was a parade prior to the "A" Class Finals, a rather long one. We finished the parade and then walked to our rehearsal site which was a distance away. We had another warm up with Ted Key, shined horns and shoes. The walk back was in single file and NO ONE talked at all the whole walk back to the stadium. We approached the stadium, heard a talk by the director and went out on the field and did the best show that the corps ever did. At retreat, Simplex Minutemen came in third, Peterborough Krescendo came in 2nd and we won! It's been a long time! The NT Open was a small show but we didn't care. I wasn't in a top 12 corps and didn't tour all summer long but I wouldn't trade my time with that corps for anything!

• Like 3

I remember when The Cavaliers made a huge 75th birthday cake for us in 2009 at their home show in Denton, TX. Or was it two cakes? I just remember there was vanilla and chocolate...

Now that's what I call a classic friendship, no rivalry involved.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Best post in a long time so I will come back for this one!

1976 with Royal Coachmen. This was our best year in 7 years with the corps. We won a show in Hammondsport, NY literally at the tip of a Finger Lake. We chose to not go to Marion or Butler that year and so the only "National Show" we did was the NT Open. There was a parade prior to the "A" Class Finals, a rather long one. We finished the parade and then walked to our rehearsal site which was a distance away. We had another warm up with Ted Key, shined horns and shoes. The walk back was in single file and NO ONE talked at all the whole walk back to the stadium. We approached the stadium, heard a talk by the director and went out on the field and did the best show that the corps ever did. At retreat, Simplex Minutemen came in third, Peterborough Krescendo came in 2nd and we won! It's been a long time! The NT Open was a small show but we didn't care. I wasn't in a top 12 corps and didn't tour all summer long but I wouldn't trade my time with that corps for anything!

So true!