Thinking About Auditioning

First: Definitely audition. Period. You've had plenty of advice about that, so there's no need for me to elaborate.

Second: if you're worried about your weight and fitness level, there's no magic bullet. It's real simple - quality and quantity of calories in, and lots more activity. I've totally been in your shoes. I was a fairly overweight teen, and until the last few years I was in the obese range for my height. You CAN do this. You are not alone in this quest, and there are many communities of people on the road to better health and fitness. You may have to go against the grain of your peers with your food and exercise choices. Or maybe some of them will join you to cheer you on or even to lose weight with you - you never know who you might inspire!

• Like 1

Ask yourself this: In five years, is this something you'll be happy that you tried? I think you already know the answer.

You don't have time to be posting on DCP. You need to be getting ready for your audition!

Everyone seems to be in agreement that you should audition and I'm of the same point of view. You're just sixteen so if you don't make it this year, you will have the opportunity to audition again, but the fact you are just sixteen and auditioning means your ambitious, so you may find yourself marching with Crossmen under the watchful eye of "Bones." Shoot for success. We all can lack confidence as we face daunting challenges, and auditioning for a corps that made the top 12 in a previous year is pretty daunting. Focus on your gifts and talents. These would be most important to a corps and what they'll notice most and just do your best in areas where you do not feel as strong. This will be good practice for other situations--applying for college, getting your first job, etc. If there are areas where you need work, and you seem to mention what you perceive as difficulties, just do your best to address them. Since you're still growing, your challenges this year may be a thing of the past a year from now.

Good luck, and even though I won't know who you are, I hope that when I'm cheering for the Crossmen when you visit Boston next year--Crossmen always get a great reception in Boston from their many friends and Boston is a regular visit for the corps.--you'll be marching with them.

Edited by Tim K

So, I am a sixteen year old trumpet, I will be seventeen when the Crossmen have their first eXperience camp in Dallas. I am debating on whether or not I should even tryout. My range is only to a C above staff and I am pretty short(5 ft) and fat(200 lbs.), those facts are what scare me away from even thinking about joining. Anybody have anything to say about this I think I just need some sort of guidance, for this particular situation

I don't know if your musical ability is good enough to get you into Xmen...I'm not a musician...but I don't think your body will be much of an issue. If you are willing to do the work, you'll lose the weight. Drum corps tends to do that.

Check out this link for some inspiration: http://www.facebook.com/BodbyDC

• Like 1

It is better to try out and not make it, than to not try out at all.

• Like 1

If someone has a passion to march, I have rarely seen ability or fitness be an issue, those issues can be solved with hard work. The item that usually prevents people from marching is finances, and even then there are solutions.

Do it. Go for it. Work hard and you will reap the benefits.

Range doesn't matter.

Show up, and show them you want to be there and that you can improve. They have a great staff there. Even if you don't make it you will learn a lot. Try to go to more than one experience camp also.