Thinking About Auditioning

So, I am a sixteen year old trumpet, I will be seventeen when the Crossmen have their first eXperience camp in Dallas. I am debating on whether or not I should even tryout. My range is only to a C above staff and I am pretty short(5 ft) and fat(200 lbs.), those facts are what scare me away from even thinking about joining. Anybody have anything to say about this I think I just need some sort of guidance, for this particular situation

Edited by thathaltomtrumpet

Absolutely. Get there and get some suggestions on how to get better. Work out. Practice. Come back to the next camp and show the staff how much you've improved. Get contract. March.

Repeat until aged out.

EDIT: Don't worry about your range so much, especially if you do have a C above the staff. Ain't nothin' wrong with playing 2nd or 3rd part . . .

Edited by BroncoTrooper

Go audition, you never know until you try out.

Absolutely go for it! Ask the staff for suggestions about how to improve in every aspect (playing, fitness, attitude, musical knowledge) and what sort of regimen you can get on to improve in all those areas over the next year. Tell them you know you are not currently where you know your potential is with additional work and encouragement and if you don't make it now, you want to come back in a year a stronger player, more fit and more prepared to contribute to the corps. And while you're at it, consider mentioning that if you don't make it this year, you would still like to help out the corps any way you can, you to be around them and learn by experiencing the day-to-day happenings in the off-season and even the season, if they were to need someone who wants to work hard and learn in the process. Then take your trumpet with if they say, "Hey, come along," and practice it every moment you're not working as a volunteer or sleeping.

You've got the right attitude in knowing you're not where you want to be right now, but knowing you can be better with work. You will succeed and any steps you take now will get you there in the future. Again...absolutely go for it!

Go for it!

Range is not a problem, maybe you could even get to play fluegel!

A good attitude will go a long way in getting to march. Good luck!

You never know what you can or can't do until you try.

There are several corps auditioning down in Texas, so you'll have your choice of programs. If you're a guy, I know that Cavaliers have changed their camp structure a little this year so those who aren't sure whether they're ready or not can sign up to do the full camp as a clinic, without the individual audition (with the option of adding the audition at the camp, if they're feeling like they want to give it a shot).

Whoever you audition for, you'll certainly end up the weekend knowing more about drum corps and what it takes than you did before. In other words, yes, do it. :thumbup:

Edited by mobrien

So, I am a sixteen year old trumpet, I will be seventeen when the Crossmen have their first eXperience camp in Dallas. I am debating on whether or not I should even tryout. My range is only to a C above staff and I am pretty short(5 ft) and fat(200 lbs.), those facts are what scare me away from even thinking about joining. Anybody have anything to say about this I think I just need some sort of guidance, for this particular situation

Well if you go you'll meet people that will motivate you to practice harder, get a higher range, and even start having a healthier lifestyle and losing some weight.. You should go if you want to be a better person it can only help you.

Always do something you have a passion for. By trying you never know where it might lead later in life. Marching drum corps was one of most positive experiences of my life. GO FOR IT!