Policy For Proving Copyright Legalities

Ahhhh.... yeah..... (fans of "Office Space" might catch that).

Not really looking for how the corps get the rights. Would like to know how the corps prove to DCA that the rights have been obtained. Think of the discussion on "that other thread" about corps being responsible for checking staff, etc with DCA having no apparent oversight. Here DCA has oversight as the corps have to prove to DCA that the rights have been obtained. Thinking of a parallel here with not all the dots connected so far....

IOW:

corps responsibilty - copyrights (Yes), staff checks (yes)

show proof to DCA - copyrights (Yes), staff checks (No)

Trying to learn more about copyright side proofs for DCA to try to figure out why this can't be a model (gotta be a better word) for check.

basically,.............you obtain letters showing proof that you have the rights to Arrange AND Perform from each of the artists/publishers, and package them up with a listing of your rep,...........send the copies to DCA,..............carry your originals with you to performances,..........we have, more than once, been asked for copies at pre-show meetings where we were performing in exhibition at DCI contests,..........

Bands and corps that receive the proper copyright clearances have paperwork documentation from the publisher/artist/copyright holder. Generally, they will either make a copy for the circuit or carry it with them at shows. I would imagine DCA requires documentation on every piece that is in a corps' program.

Thanks, that's my understanding of what's needed for Mini corps except (I think) the paperwork is mailed in with the applcation to perform at Minis. And I'll take for granted DCA files the paperwork from each corps in case there is any questions or problems later. Or at least requires the corsp to file the paperwork so DCA can ask for it later if needed.

Will wait to see if there are any more responses but don't see why this can't be a model for background checks. Corps do paperwork on their people and either DCA or the corps keeps the paperwork on file in case the crap hits the fan. Only thing missing is DCA saying "Thou has to do this" and spell out what people need checks (staff, volunteers, etc). If it's anything liek what I went thru it's a total of 2 sheets of paper per person.

Bugaboo for both is that there is paperwork for all pieces played and all people checked.

Edit: Gary responded while I was typing.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

There's got to be a better way for groups that aren't trying to make money use this music. Seems way more complicated than it has to be. Oh well, what are you going to do?

Weel if you go to DCA, you are recorded so DCA can sell the CDs/DVDs and the money bugaboo kicks in....

Weel if you go to DCA, you are recorded so DCA can sell the CDs/DVDs and the money bugaboo kicks in....

Those are a completely different set of permissions called "synchronization rights", and are obtained and paid buy the DVD production company. Individual corps only need to secure synch rights if they plan to sell a video recording themselves.

And then there's multi-media rights...

Those are a completely different set of permissions called "synchronization rights", and are obtained and paid buy the DVD production company. Individual corps only need to secure synch rights if they plan to sell a video recording themselves.

And then there's multi-media rights...

OK, I misunderstood and though the corps had to secure all the rights. Now I can understand why (so far) DCI is having problems at times with rights for the recordings. If I understand this right (not holding my breath on that) a corps might not know about problems with sync/multi-media rights as the corps has not dealt with securing those rights.

OK, I misunderstood and though the corps had to secure all the rights. Now I can understand why (so far) DCI is having problems at times with rights for the recordings. If I understand this right (not holding my breath on that) a corps might not know about problems with sync/multi-media rights as the corps has not dealt with securing those rights.

There are three different things that need to be obtained,..............

1. Rights to arrange - this is obtained by the corps way early on, like before the show is finalized and camps start.

2. Rights to perform - this is usually obtained by the corps at the same time as the rights to arrange, often in the same agreement.

3. Synchronization rights - this is done by the company producing the audio recordings and/or videos. This process is very cumbersome for the producer, as they must get all of the above rights organized from each corps, and pursue their ability to produce the audios and videos. Some times, while the rights to arrange and perform may be in hand, the synch rights cannot be obtained for a myriad of reasons, therefore you get the blanked out audio like the Madison Scouts did last year with "New York State of Mind"

This whole subject is very confusing. If a HS band for example purchases an arrangement, they dont have to purchase rights on top of that to perform it. How is this different? Why couldnt a drum corps buy an arrangement of the tune they want to perform and that be that? Does altering it somehow make it now require further rights?

On the Synchronization side, how is it for example that anyone can go on YouTube and perform someone elses work and get millions of views? How do those same people create iTunes accounts where they sell their versions of these tunes and not have to pay hefty royalties to the original artists?

Edited by Scerpella

This whole subject is very confusing. If a HS band for example purchases an arrangement, they dont have to purchase rights on top of that to perform it. How is this different? Why couldnt a drum corps buy an arrangement of the tune they want to perform and that be that? Does altering it somehow make it now require further rights?

On the Synchronization side, how is it for example that anyone can go on YouTube and perform someone elses work and get millions of views? How do those same people create iTunes accounts where they sell their versions of these tunes and not have to pay hefty royalties to the original artists?

Most stock band arrangements purchased from publishing houses, etc. do not need to be re-voiced for just brass; thus the permission to (custom) arrange and perform comes into play as one aspect.

Most stock band arrangements purchased from publishing houses, etc. do not need to be re-voiced for just brass; thus the permission to (custom) arrange and perform comes into play as one aspect.

Been 35+ years (*gag*) but remember seeing coyrights all over the old SoundPower and other stock band booklets. As for concert band, used to help the director file all the charts (aka crap) for the district (chart room was part of our band room). My understanding was when the booklets and charts were bought all performing rights were included with the price. And the rights must have been good for a long time as some of that #### was OLD!.

Edited by JimF-LowBari