• St. Rita's Brassmen
    • Purple Lancers
    • Gauchos
    • Black Knights
    • Kingston Indians
    • Syracuse Marauders
    • Mark Twain Cadets
    • Other

Now I know I missed a few so feel free to add yours.

Edited by KeithHall

You probably need to add St. Rita's and Purple Lancers, too.

... and Loretto, Selden and St. Catherine's Queensmen ... the year before they folded, the Queensmen beat BOTH the VFW (BS) and AL (Garfield) National Champs in their closing local shows ... they followed that up by beating them both again to win the prelims of the Eastern Standstill Championship sponsored by DCN ... yes, it was 1961 but, you can't spell success much better for an era ...

:-)

The Purple Lancers...NY's ONLY DCI Finalist

... and Loretto, Selden and St. Catherine's Queensmen ... the year before they folded, the Queensmen beat BOTH the VFW (BS) and AL (Garfield) National Champs in their closing local shows ... they followed that up by beating them both again to win the prelims of the Eastern Standstill Championship sponsored by DCN ... yes, it was 1961 but, you can't spell success much better for an era ...

:-)

Loretto Knight:

For a smallish "Parish Corps" Loretto knocked a few heads in their day. They passed St Vincent's Cadets in the "Green Bands' waning days, and the Caimbridge Caballeros a "Nationally Rated" (Fourth Place VFW Finalist 1961) fell to them at a 1962 show in Ansonia CT, the year that Loretto called it a career and disbanded immediatly after the season closer at Union City. St Catherine's also folded that same afternoon.

The Irwin/New York Knigsmen had a successfull "Second Life" after the Selden Cadets folded in 1965, sending a slug of very talented performers, and Selden's horn arranger (USAF Alum) Bob Bunce to the unit.

Great memories....

Elphaba

Its true that the Purple Lancers were the Only DCI Finalist, however I would say that the Squires and Avant Garde had the better run in terms DCI membership

Edited by BariBrian

While Purple Lancers certainly are significant as the only DCI finalist in the highest class... and special mention certainly must go to Greece Cadets and Patriots for Div II (Class A) Championships... and Squires made a huge contribution to NY drum corps... even with all this... I would have to say that overall, the pre-dci contributions and success of Mighty St. Joe's - puts them in a class of their own... when it comes to answering the original question...

It is also humbling to realize I was a founding member of two of the corps on this list... Fulton Gauchos and Oswego Black Knights and was on staff with Rochester Patriots for over 23 years... which also points out that Patriots over their 30 years as a junior drum corps appear to have the longest history of any NY junior corps...

Edited by TomPeashey

Tom, as a young kid in the early 70's I still haven't forgotten the Black Knights and Greece Cadets. The New World Symphony opener is still my favorite and A New Set of Threads is still one of my fav concert numbers. Add the sop soloist (Red) and the Bari soloist....WOW!!! I spent some time with Patriots and enjoyed it all. Must say Tom you have had a great deal of success in NY. Proud to know you!

While Purple Lancers certainly are significant as the only DCI finalist in the highest class... and special mention certainly must go to Greece Cadets and Patriots for Div II (Class A) Championships... and Squires made a huge contribution to NY drum corps... even with all this... I would have to say that overall, the pre-dci contributions and success of Mighty St. Joe's - puts them in a class of their own... when it comes to answering the original question...

It is also humbling to realize I was a founding member of two of the corps on this list... Fulton Gauchos and Oswego Black Knights and was on staff with Rochester Patriots for over 23 years... which also points out that Patriots over their 30 years as a junior drum corps appear to have the longest history of any NY junior corps...

As one who saw most of these corps during my competitive marching days (1966-1974), my vote goes to St. Joe's. They were not only consistent, but had the cockiness of a champion. Who remembers the way in which they entered the field with the drum line only to the tap of a single snare. The rest of the line holding their drums perched on their shoulders. They grouped on the starting line, then four for nothing snare taps and the line rumbled to life in a deadly sounding street beat as the rest of the corps in single file snapped into place on the starting line.

They really let you know that they owned the place!

• Like 1