Houston Review

The Cavaliers show bores the heck out of me. I love Boston's show. (Of course, I'm a Boston fan.) But, that doesn't mean I won't call a spade a spade. I hated the Boston 2001 Harmonium crap for the same reason I don't care for this year's (or last year's far that matter) Cavs show: The music does nothing for me.

The only memorable thing I've taken from this year's Cavs show is the puke green dancer uniforms. At least last year they had the fight club thing that was memorable and looked pretty cool. JMHO

Edited by strutta

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavaliers-  Also, the music book is completely forgettable.  I've listened to recordings, and I heard it live tonight, and I could barely hum any of it if I tried.  The show is full of spinning visuals within the body movement and drill design and the music seems to simply be a soundtrack for it all.  They are a great drum corps and perform at a very high level, but this show is not as well designed as "Frameworks" and should not be getting the high music scores it is receiving, IMO.

wow dude... so, you think a horn book/music is better when you can go home singing tunes that have been around since friggin' 1974 and previous???? I hate to put you down, but how is coming up with an original show meaning the music is forgettable?? I've been to 2 shows, and I can sing the show top to bottom.

And did you ever do any research on the way they designed the shows?? it pretty much IS a soundtrack to a visual show... using a marriage of music to vis to make the most perfect complete package they can.

By your comments, I can tell you're not much of a music guy making statements like those. But that's okay. We're not all music people. :rolleyes:

Hester, I think you need to lighten up here. Not everyone is falling heads over heals over Cavies show. Accept that. Cavies, again, have designed a show that doesn't appeal to the general audience. Not all of us have chosen our paths to be in the music field and thus are "neanderthals" (as you are impling) when it comes to arrangements/compositions.

We want shows that are fun to listen to and some part of it can be taken home (the humming part). If the show doesn't do that, then guess what, it didn't connect to the audience, instead it's built around the judges. I, personally, still can't listen to 2002 because it was bad.

So get off your high horse and accept the fact that Cavies may be able to play the #### out the piece and might win DCI, it won't be a memorable show.

thats okay man... nobody's perfect!

Believe it or not, some of us can put aside biases and choose from the product itself whether we like a show or not.

Come on, now Mike.. you can no more separate yourself from your bias against the Cavaliers than you can separate yourself from your bias for the Cadets (first or second? come on!!).

You know where I stand because we've talked about it privately but you can't possibly be surprised that people (and not just Cavalier Alums.. LOTS of other people too) have stepped up to disagree with you on your assessment of a lacking Cavaliers musical book.

You might like Cole Porter. I might like Stravinsky.

both are valid and GOOD (edit: SKILLED) composers in their genres.. but if I don't like Cole Porter's music, that doesn't make his music weak and if you don't like Stravinsky, it doesn't make his music weak.

And for the record, I tend to agree with Phreak.. not for the same reasons.

I say if you're going to be critical, be constructive. You're intelligent. You're educated.

Use it.

:)

Talk to you later,

Stef

I never said the music was forgettable because it was original. . .I just simply said it was forgettable, and last night was not at all the first time I had heard it.

I don't need to do any research to watch a show and give an opinion on it. . .that's pretty silly if you ask me.

Also, speak not what you not nothing about. I am more than "educated" when it comes to the world of music, which I guess is why I was wanting much more from their book.

In short, let me say this to those who feel the need to defend. . .believe it or not, not everyone has to like your corps.

hey man... I understand what you're saying... I know you're educated and a band director and all that. I think you should take on a job with a corps and arrange them what you believe is a good horn book and music. I'd love to hear your interperetation of it, and what makes the whole world (especially you) go home humming the show. :rolleyes: I'm sure you could do it... and I promise, I wouldn't say one thing negative about it.

I won't lighten up on this subject... I take offense to people that are ignorant and proceed to act as if they have valid opinions. all you had to say is that you didn't dig the music. I ignore all those posts. But to say you couldn't go home "humming" the music, after several listens to prior to the show, is just ridiculous.

Come on, now Mike.. you can no more separate yourself from your bias against the Cavaliers than you can separate yourself from your bias for the Cadets (first or second? come on!!).

hey man... I understand what you're saying... I know you're educated and a band director and all that. I think you should take on a job with a corps and arrange them what you believe is a good horn book and music. I'd love to hear your interperetation of it, and what makes the whole world (especially you) go home humming the show. I'm sure you could do it... and I promise, I wouldn't say one thing negative about it.

I won't lighten up on this subject... I take offense to people that are ignorant and proceed to act as if they have valid opinions. all you had to say is that you didn't dig the music. I ignore all those posts. But to say you couldn't go home "humming" the music, after several listens to prior to the show, is just ridiculous.

To Stef:

So, I am unable to put aside my bias, but you can put yours aside? If it bugs you when being accused of bias, guess what. . .it bugs others like myself also. Also, funny to me that when people are speaking negatively about Cavies you state that it is only a very few and it only seems like a lot of people, yet in support of them all of a sudden it is "LOTS" of people. You're right, I am educated, but that has nothing to do with this. I fail to see where I viciously attacked anyone or any corps. I clearly stated that they are a great corps. It all comes down to my opinion disagrees with yours. I respect you a lot as I almost always have, but if I am unable to put everything aside to form an opinion, then you don't deserve such credit either. I think that's fair.

To Hester:

I don't need to be an arranger in order to have an opinion. . .and no, it is not ridiculous that I can't hum their show. I don't think I am alone there.

Again, not everyone has to enjoy what you enjoy. . .and if they don't enjoy it, it doesn't make them stupid, it just means they have an opinion that just so happens to not line up with yours.

...all you had to say is that you didn't dig the music. I ignore all those posts. But to say you couldn't go home "humming" the music, after several listens to prior to the show, is just ridiculous.

So what exactly is the difference?

I wouldn't necessarily mind if they kept on their current path. So far I've liked 2 out of the 3 all original "soundtracks". New music is not a bad thing. I may not always like it, but I'll never know if it's never produced!

Edited by Machine

...all you had to say is that you didn't dig the music.  I ignore all those posts.  But to say you couldn't go home "humming" the music, after several listens to prior to the show, is just ridiculous.

So what exactly is the difference?

the difference is that one of them requires only about 2 brain cells to do. the other requires the desire to get someone like me agitated!! :P :rolleyes: