Audio/video products

CDUB

Does anyone know if there will be a digital download availabe for Finals performances? Or will it only be the Prelims recordings that are already posted?

Hello all... just want to spare you a few phone calls to DCI. The DVDs and CDs are shipping now. The Blu Rays have not yet shipped. They will be shipping around or shortly after Thanksgiving. This is from the folks at DCI.

• Like 1

Fan Network has BD muted in their opener from finals.

I would be happy if they had been muted all season - The voice over part anyway. :tongue:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

I do not understand why DCI thinks it is OK to edit together different performances and present it as "the finals".

Ah, but that's not how they label it. DCI labels it "World Championships" or some such. This little tricky move is how they cover themselves. For instance, take last year's Phantom show, "Juliet." At the finals performance, Juliet takes the sword and puts it through her chest. But if you're watching the standard multi-cam shot, she simply hangs the sword over her throat, suggesting that she's about to commit suicide. But if you switch to the high-cam shot, you'll see that she does actually "kill herself" (you'll also get a better idea of the long, thunderous ovation the fans gave Phantom). Why did DCI do this? I suspect the close-up shot of Juliet "killing" herself is a bit odd/corny, as you would clearly see her shoving the sword in between her arm and chest. So they spliced in the semi-finals shot, which looks better, albeit not as dramatic.

Ah, but that's not how they label it. DCI labels it "World Championships" or some such. This little tricky move is how they cover themselves. For instance, take last year's Phantom show, "Juliet." At the finals performance, Juliet takes the sword and puts it through her chest. But if you're watching the standard multi-cam shot, she simply hangs the sword over her throat, suggesting that she's about to commit suicide. But if you switch to the high-cam shot, you'll see that she does actually "kill herself" (you'll also get a better idea of the long, thunderous ovation the fans gave Phantom). Why did DCI do this? I suspect the close-up shot of Juliet "killing" herself is a bit odd/corny, as you would clearly see her shoving the sword in between her arm and chest. So they spliced in the semi-finals shot, which looks better, albeit not as dramatic.

This was covered in another thread...this scene was "ad-libbed" by the corps members and the recording crew had no clue that this was going to take place, and the only angle they had would not portray the "suicide" properly.

I still haven't been emailed saying mine shipped. Who should I contact at DCI?

I've never gotten an email. They've just always randomly shown up.

I do not understand why DCI thinks it is OK to edit together different performances and present it as "the finals".

The corps directors often make that call (at least that's what I was told in the late 90's by a corps director). I suspect that they would prefer to have their corps and performance presented in the best possible light, both to look good and for the members themselves to look as good as possible (for example, if a soloist nailed it all season but fracked in finals night, why not put the semi's solo on the archives?).

I don't get why people would rather see mistakes or dirt instead of the best quality. I understand that the answer will be something like "the purity of the actual finals performance" or similar. While there's nothing wrong with that argument (my corps director never bothered, and in fact left a pretty embarrassing, horribly fracked solo on the CD's/videos one year because it happened at the last show of the season and "it is what it is"), I'd much rather see the best possible performance, even if that means a little bit of splicing: if it's edited seamlessly, who cares?

• Like 1

On the Volume I DVD:

Blue Devils: No edits (The chant is back in on the DVD)

Carolina Crown: The solo in the second movement is from Semi-Finals

Phantom Regiment: No preshow, no other edits

The Cadets: Edits have already been discussed

Santa Clara Vanguard: No edits

Bluecoats: No edits

Boston Crusaders: No edits

The Cavaliers: The laugh voice over/wave in the preshow has been cut.

Madison Scouts: No edits

Blue Knights: No edits

Spirit of Atlanta: No preshow, the first few seconds of the closer (with the 8 Mile quote) has been cut

Crossmen: No preshow, no other edits

Thank you!!! :thumbup: