2012 NON-Finalist show opinions

What are your opinions about this past season's shows? What changes could have been made to the program to improve the performance and scores? (coming from a confused rookie who doesn't understand the DCP reputations of corps)

Personally, three of the non-finalist corps entertained me more than some of the finalist corps.

I do imagine a "what could have been" scenario with the Oregon Crusaders. They blew me away with a very original, imaginative and entertaining show. I just wonder how high they could have placed had they participated in a longer tour. The design and talent certainly wasn't lacking.

What are your opinions about this past season's shows? What changes could have been made to the program to improve the performance and scores? (coming from a confused rookie who doesn't understand the DCP reputations of corps)

Higher quality performance, brought about by better instructors, more practice time and higher quality performers would increase scores.

• Like 4

I thought this year the 13th and lower place corps put on some amazing performances. As much as I loved 12th place Crossmen this year, I really thought Blue Stars should have had the last spot in finals. Either way with Crossmen or Blue Stars in 13th, I think their shows were both fantastic. When you add in crowd favorite Jersey Surf, along with Glassmen who I thought had one of their best shows ever(I enjoyed it more than even some of their 5th place shows over the years) Colts who had one of the best solos of the year, and other corps like Academy, Pacific Crest, Oregon Crusaders, and others, made this years non-finalists one of my favorite years ever. I even thought the bottom corps including Les Stentors and Blue Saints had very nice shows, even with the small amount of members. I couldn't believe how well the small corps Blue Saints were able to pull off The Canyon by Phillip Glass.

I think even with fewer corps than ever before at finals week, this may have been the best year ever from top to bottom. In some years past, I think almost any one of the 13-17th placing corps could have made finals with their show. Regardless of scores or placements, I think this years 13-35th placing corps were awesome. I can't wait to see what happens next year.

And I say this every year, but I would love to see more butts in the seats earlier in the day on Thursday of quarterfinals/prelims. I think a lot of people probably missed shows, that if they knew how good they were, would be kicking themselves.

• Like 6

I'm not going to offer suggestions as to how the corps could have improved but I will say that I really enjoyed some of the non-finalists. Particularly Glassmen, The Academy, Oregon Crusaders (wow!), and Pacific Crest who was IMO the most underrated corps of 2012. And of course we can't forget Jersey Surf! Gotta love the team that says "To heck with scores and placements! Let's just do a show that will be a blast to perform and that the dinosaurs and bandos alike will love!" :thumbup:

I really feel like everyone in DCI has stepped up their game over the last few years. There are corps finishing in the mid teens now that just a few years ago would have easily made finals.

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 3

I totally agree with everyone on Jersey Surf and Pacific Crest. More like this please! I also got a kick out of the Cascades and Mandarins this year. And Academy put out some finals-class show design, and I hope with some more polish and development they will be a true finals contender in years to come.

• Like 2

What are your opinions about this past season's shows?

I continue to be amazed at the quality level of the non-finalist corps... especially those in the 13-17 bracket.

Those non-finalists in that bracket, not too many years ago, would have been solid finalists.

Only saw the "Thursday prelims at the movies" show this past summer... and the non-finalist that really impressed me the most on the cinecast was The Academy. Great visual show, excellent uniforms, and a solid program.

And of course... Jersey Surf, for really bringing it home to the paying customers. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Music City and Jersey Surf really entertained me ! IMHO Music City was the most underscored corps from last year.

Seems to me that in order to move up in placement the lower placing corps need to hug and kiss more,kill people, move furniture, exercise,roll around on the ground , and buy huge drapes to cover this stuff up. Just the way I see it. :tongue:

• Like 3

the quality continues to improve under 12th place. The biggest thing now is to get the corps down there to not just continue getting better with quality performance and design, but to be more engaging with the general population.

I've been following DCI since I was a kid, and i NEVER remember the amount of buzz a corps in 20th place got that comes anywhere close to Jersey Surf last year. Sure it had dirt, and yeah, at times maybe the design was too old school.

But I can guarantee you even the home town team at Allentown did not get a reaction like Surf did going on 2 hours earlier. Not even close

• Like 2