Dave Brubeck

The incomparable Dave Brubeck passed this morning, just a few hours short of turning 92. His influence on drum corps is well documented, from Gerry Shelmer's Boston, Garfield and Sunriser solos to a more recent Blue Devils show.

He was hip to drum corps, of course. He was hip to everything. His mother was a piano teacher in Concord and once, when he was recording for the Concord Jazz label, I got a chance to interview him. He was most complimentary about the way corps were approaching jazz. If I can locate the audio, I'll include it in a segment of "Off the Record".

Dave Brubeck was a brilliant and gracious man. We are fortunate to have shared the planet with him.

• Like 3

The incomparable Dave Brubeck passed this morning, just a few hours short of turning 92. His influence on drum corps is well documented, from Gerry Shelmer's Boston, Garfield and Sunriser solos to a more recent Blue Devils show.

He was hip to drum corps, of course. He was hip to everything. His mother was a piano teacher in Concord and once, when he was recording for the Concord Jazz label, I got a chance to interview him. He was most complimentary about the way corps were approaching jazz. If I can locate the audio, I'll include it in a segment of "Off the Record".

Dave Brubeck was a brilliant and gracious man. We are fortunate to have shared the planet with him.

Even Sky ventured into the Brubeck idiom with their rendition of Take Five as a drum solo in 1973 ... maybe somebody can post the viseo snipet of that from the Haas's video of them in 73 from Hershey ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Calling Dave Brubeck a "legend" doesn't quite do him enough justice.

May he rest in peace. A transcendent talent.

• Like 2

Even Sky ventured into the Brubeck idiom with their rendition of Take Five as a drum solo in 1973 ... maybe somebody can post the viseo snipet of that from the Haas's video of them in 73 from Hershey ...

:-)

"Take 5":

Blessed Sacrament did a Brubeck "Take five" bit in the late 1960's. I believe it was a soprano solo backed by the drum line.

Mr Brubeck was an icon in the world of music. He will be missed.

RIP.

Elphaba

I read an article in the New York Times about the life and work of Dave just before I saw this post this morning. He continued to write and perform up until very recently - an inspiration for us all. According to the article in the Times, his mother would not allow him to listen to the radio at home - if he wanted to hear music he had to play it!

So far we've recalled Brubeck music in drum corps here:

"Take Five" - Blessed Sacrament, Blue Devils, Skyliners

"Blue Rondo a la Turk" - Sunrisers, Garfield Cadets

"Unsquare Dance" - Boston Crusaders

"Take Five Mambo" - (Tito Puente's version) - Bluecoats

I'm certain there are others.

Edited by ironlips

So far we've recalled Brubeck music in drum corps here:

"Take Five" - Blessed Sacrament, Blue Devils, Skyliners

"Blue Rondo a la Turk" - Sunrisers, Garfield Cadets

"Unsquare Dance" - Boston Crusaders

"Take Five Mambo" - (Tito Puente's version) - Bluecoats

I'm certain there are others.

Pretty sure that the Troopers also did Unsquare Dance, BITD.

One of the positive outcomes when a legend such as Brubeck passes, is that it can bring renewed focus on the accomplishments of their life. Here's hoping to a new generation of fans to appreciate his work. Searching through youtube for Dave Brubeck and listening to some of his work renewed my interest as well. What a great legacy of music!

• Like 1

Pretty sure that the Troopers also did Unsquare Dance, BITD.

the yankee rebels did unsquare dance also.