Why Aren't Crowd Reactions Like They Used to be?

Maybe lots of fans are just jaded now by the shows, because it is so different than it was in the 70s and 80s. Back then, it was normal to hear a bunch of show tunes, and pop songs fill a show.

It was ? There might have been more " pop " ( " popular " ) and show tunes played back in the earlier days of DCI, but the vast majority of songs played back then were NOT " pop" tunes, nor " show tunes ". Thats just inaccurate. One look at the top Corps music on Corpsrep from the 70's and one can can easily refute this inaccurate observation of yours. And lets not forget that the Cadets did a show last year that had all recognizeable music.... Christmas Music. Crown did an entire show in 2011 that was chock full of " pop " music, and " pop culture ", and so didn't Spirit of Atlanta this past season... and others as well.

Its not so much WHAT is played... as it is HOW the arrangement is written by the brass arranger in my view.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

... I've been attending shows for 25+ years and for the last 10 I can count on one hand the times I've been truly moved and excited enough to stand and applaud a performance...

Maybe you're exaggerating? You can count on just one hand the number of shows worth standing to clap over the past 10 years? Sorry to single you out, but I'm geniunely curious. Off the top of my head, just in the past FIVE years, I'd imagine few would dispute most of these were were worth standing in appreciation:

2008: Phantom - Spartacus; Cavies - Samurai; Blue Stars - Le Tour

2009: Crown - Grass is Greener; SCV - Ballet for Martha

2010: Bluecoats - Metropolis

2011: Cadets - Angels & Demons; Blue Devils - Beat My Heart Skipped; Crown - Rach Star; Phantom - Juliet

2012: Crown - Common Good

There weren't five worth standing for from that short list?

HH

• Like 2

it does seem that audiences in the past were more willing to show there excitement during the show

Its not just fans that have noticed the drop off in audience response to Corps shows, even George Hopkins, Director of the Cadets acknowledged this himself 2 years ago in a public statement in a public inteview... and Michael Cesario has acknowleged the drop off in audience response to shows as well. Others in the DCI hierarchy have too. Many long time fans have noticed this as well.. So we've really gone beyond just conjecture here. Its now publically acknowledged by most observers as a pretty much indisputable fact regarding this. So we move beyond this now to the key question that is before us, which is, .. " so what to we do about it.. if anything at all " ?

Edited by BRASSO

Its not just fans that have noticed the drop off in audience response to Corps shows, even George Hopkins, Director of the Cadets acknowledged this himself 2 years ago in a public statement in a public inteview... and Michael Cesario has acknowleged the drop off in audience response to shows as well. Others in the DCI hierarchy have too. Many long time fans have noticed this as well.. So we've really gone beyond just conjecture here. Its now publically acknowledged by most observers as a pretty much indisputable fact regarding this. So we move beyond this now to the key question that is before us, which is, .. " so what to we do about it.. if anything at all " ?

design.

31640075.jpg

• Like 1

I think rather than pointing out the # of shows that got reactions from the crowd, those that have access to past shows should listen to say 12th thru 9th of 1980, 85, 90, 95, 2000, 2005, 2010 and 2012

I think those years illustrate the crowd difference in reactions over time but I think some of the change has come from the audience treating the shows like a concert where you save the ovation for the end. I used to be a "Reactee" during shows but as the 90's went along I kept getting "Stares" when clapping during a moment...:(

Maybe you're exaggerating? You can count on just one hand the number of shows worth standing to clap over the past 10 years? Sorry to single you out, but I'm geniunely curious. Off the top of my head, just in the past FIVE years, I'd imagine few would dispute most of these were were worth standing in appreciation:

2008: Phantom - Spartacus; Cavies - Samurai; Blue Stars - Le Tour

2009: Crown - Grass is Greener; SCV - Ballet for Martha

2010: Bluecoats - Metropolis

2011: Cadets - Angels & Demons; Blue Devils - Beat My Heart Skipped; Crown - Rach Star; Phantom - Juliet

2012: Crown - Common Good

There weren't five worth standing for from that short list?

HH

OK maybe exaggerating a little bit :blush: but I should elaborate - I'm talking about shows so good, moving, and exciting that you are almost literally pulled out of your seat. Sure, I've seen plenty of shows I've applauded (deservedly) over the last 10 years, but I find myself applauding out of respect for the corps and their technical achievement, rather than an excited, emotional response. Regarding the list above, I stood for all of them but the most moving/exciting in my opinion were 2008 Phantom, 2009 Crown, 2011 Crown.