Why is it?

Jeremy Denzer

Why is it that winterguards keep their show music so hush hush and top secret.....we already know what the majority of drum corps are playing next summer.....so far I have only seen one show announcement from a WGI guard and the season starts in just a few weeks.

Edited by Jeremy Denzer
  • Like 1

I think it has something to do with creating anticipation and a feeling of being "elite".

In my opinion (since you asked LOL), this sort of behavior only proves that this activity is inaccessible to the random bystander - therefore making it a dying art.

You're not "elite", you're not "special"... you are a color guard. Grow up, realize that the world does NOT revolve around you and share with the world what you are doing. Promote yourselves and grow interest in this activity instead of shunning outsiders and making this an insiders only activity. I'm tired of color guards thinking too highly of themselves. It's not fun anymore. It's boring, tired, and needs to be slapped in the face.

• Like 2

I disagree with Will. There have been many show announcements via Facebook. Some guards don't have a dedicated press staff. I think for the majority, some programs just dont feel the need to do an official press release. Too much emphasis is put on trying to consume all the information about productions before the viewer gets to see it. What happened to just going and watching a show for enjoyment?!

• Like 2

I'm on the fence on this debate. While I understand that some guards don't want to announce early and have their ideas "stolen," I'm always a little worried that someone else might be doing "our song!"

• Like 1

Funny that you mention that, Trish. I've always felt the opposite, in that groups wouldn't use the same songs if they knew that others were performing to them! Some songs are popular certain years, and it's kind of random when it's not a popular tune (like Adele). I'm really not sure what made designers/instructors go all out for This Bitter Earth the Shutter Island version last year, even though it's a great song.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We've announced our show concepts for all our guards mostly so that the kids/staff can tell their friends and family.

I'm wondering how this makes groups "elitist"? Before the late 90s/early 2000s you most likely wouldn't have known what anyone was doing until you saw them in competition anyway.

Edited by ATXguard
  • Like 1

In the 90's and early 2000's WGI used to list show concepts for guards in the winter focus magazine.

In the 90's and early 2000's WGI used to list show concepts for guards in the winter focus magazine.

All of them? Every single one?

I am not sure I really care if another guard was using the same song I was. As long as they are not using the music AND copy segments of the show - I cannot see a problem.

Even if five guards did the same song, the visuals and design would be quite different. When I marched WGI in 1980, there were several guards that had the same song. The show design and visual were all different, and it was interesting to see the different interpretation of the music.

• 3 weeks later...

The reason my instructor in college would hold off was because he felt that people would start judging the show before anyone saw it, which I think a lot of people do, even if only subconsciously. How many times have we heard about someone doing a certain song, and thought "Again?"