Empire Statesmen 2013 Show Announcement

trmdrum

I imagine, financially, it has to be tough to compete when there are no corps around you, and you have to drive 4+ hours away every weekend. Check out the recaps from the last couple of years. It's not like many of the big boys were coming to upstate NY.

It would be great to have that short of a drive to shows. Everyone west of PA has to deal with this and it's immensely more expensive. One of those corps remained competitive enough to win a championship.

Anyways, I'm sure there are some corps in the area that are more than willing to take on the other members after this year and maybe help grow the circuit.

It would be great to have that short of a drive to shows. Everyone west of PA has to deal with this and it's immensely more expensive. One of those corps remained competitive enough to win a championship.

Anyways, I'm sure there are some corps in the area that are more than willing to take on the other members after this year and maybe help grow the circuit.

i hate to say this but this may be the end to expansion. how sad.

You know, Don, this IS a significant development. I'm troubled. But, I'm enough of a realist to accept that a weekend only activity simply can't take 125 performers and equipment 300 miles in exchange for (maybe) $3000. That can't last.

We no longer have motorcycle racing before huge crowds, on wooden boards. But, we STILL have motorcycle racing. Just one parallel. Something else IS out there.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 3

I would be more inclined to think it is more, because of Multipal reasons. Not any "One" issue in prticular.

Maybe - Travel Costs.(As Fred say's above.)

Maybe - Finding and Keeping members.(Hard in NY State as age the membership gets younger. Because of School year. Junior Corps have always had a problem with that.)

Maybe - The more DCI style of things.(Horns type & Judging Etc.)

Maybe - Cost over all of running a Top Open Class Corps. (And now the added expenses of amps. Then also. you know the rest of A&E will be here sooner thsn later).

Maybe - the Bruni family and other management, wants to leave on a High Point.

Could be any of these, or a combo of many these things. That, You or I don't know of.

What ever the reasons. Sure is sad to see one of my Favorite Corps leaving.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

You know, Don, this IS a significant development. I'm troubled. But, I'm enough of a realist to accept that a weekend only activity simply can't take 125 performers and equipment 300 miles in exchange for (maybe) $3000. That can't last.

We no longer have motorcycle racing before huge crowds, on wooden boards. But, we STILL have motorcycle racing. Just one parallel. Something else IS out there.

david has 2 problems from what i understand. #1 dwindeling crowds. he can't keep all the travel and expense with ever smaller crowds. # 2 electronics. i thnk that is self explanatory. it just changes things way to much. but with attendance going down all the time, well empire NEEDS the crowds. in any case this is a sad day. we already have sky, cru,and many other corps gone. so when people say DCA is growing and is healthy, let's just say that's denial. things are not well in DCA. and the sad thing is............i remember when DCA started. and the promise it gave senior corps.

• Like 1

Can the Crusaders come back and fill the void left by Empire?

nope. they sold the equipment. went bankrupt. and the name can never be used. for them it's been over for a long time. they don't even have an alumni. when empire goes so does drum corps in rochester. it's just like what happened to the hamburg kingsmen. ain't never gonna happen.

david has 2 problems from what i understand. #1 dwindeling crowds. he can't keep all the travel and expense with ever smaller crowds. # 2 electronics. i thnk that is self explanatory. it just changes things way to much. but with attendance going down all the time, well empire NEEDS the crowds. in any case this is a sad day. we already have sky, cru,and many other corps gone. so when people say DCA is growing and is healthy, let's just say that's denial. things are not well in DCA. and the sad thing is............i remember when DCA started. and the promise it gave senior corps.

1-YES

2 NO.

• Like 3