Growth of pits over the years

a lot of marching and playing is the answer Jim... recordings at the time couldn't possibly pick them up except for the few times they were featured front 50... remember, in 1970, we were even still playing backfield... Now there's an entirely different topic that we should start a new thread for...

Let's call it "The beginning of the end" of the activity as many of us knew it... The huge change really began when we "outsmarted" ourselves and focused the entire show to the few GE judges in the press box. This ended the era when it was ok to watch a show from the 25 yard line and non-affecionados were totally satisfied to watch a show from those "great" seats on the back 50... 1968 DCA Championship at Aquinas Stadium in Rochester must have had 5000 people PAID to see the show and sitting on the back side... I see this as one of those inevitable but unfortunate changes we made - were I to live 20 more seasons, I would suspect I would put amplification in this same basket of issues.

LOL at the memory as the first show I saw was 1974 Hershey at the stadium. Got there and found out the concert side (yep - I remember that term) was sold out so for $2 less my family sat on the back side. Kicker is the Haas family recorded some shows that night and Cabs have their vid up on www.cabs.org. Wonder how hard of a time I would having telling newer fans that those bodies in the bcakground are NOT memebrs of other corps but paying customers.

Oh yeah... was a regular season 5 corps show with a very young NJ Jr corps doing the waiting for the scores exhibition (forget their name). So not even a show that was supposed to be that memorible. At least until Reading knocked off the Cabs for the first time since????? That's when I found out a lot of Cabs fans were in the stands and they didn't mind parting with their programs. Made a nice scene from the other side of the field. :blink:

Corps playing backfield? Sky bouncing (OK blasting) the sound off the back stands during "Elks Parade" (just before the big push) always comes to mind....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I hope DCA uses the extra year before amps are allowed to discuss how it can affect judging for music captions, because I agree, poorly balanced amps are horrible. I sat in the third row on the 35 in ATL a couple years ago, and I left with a terrible headache.

As for domes, I've been told CV's pit is basically inaudible in the Georgia Dome unless it's exposed.

domes, IMO, just make it worse with echo and balance, and when synths come, then the goo will enter the arena.

But here we are, 8 years since DCI legalized it, and balance is still an issue, and not addressed.

Only one time to I really remember ever seeing a statement made with the numbers about balance...Bluecoats 08 at Allentown. Upstairs perc guy nailed them for the balance issues. music ensemble score was higher. they won or were a close second on the field for percussion.

How am I arguing?

The reason for the OP is to ask a question and generate discussion. And my later posts are presenting my views on the matter as a horn player and "Sr member" <$1 to Tyler>. And I believe I AM being respectful toward views different from mine.

Again, because I really would like a response, am I arguing? Maybe you need an explaination of arguing vs discussing differing opinions to understand both sides.

Or maybe I need an explaination of why bother with someone who made this their first post?

Or maybe... your word phrasing reminds me of another poster.....

oh shush you grouchy old horn player that's short

:tongue:/>

oh shush you grouchy old horn player that's short

:tongue:

And I was in a SENIOR corps not All Age..... :tongue: dangnabit.....

I know I'd better be nice or you'll sic Wally on me.....

For everyone elses benefit: I marched with Wally (aka Jeffs dad)..... :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

And I was in a SENIOR corps not All Age..... :tongue:/> dangnabit.....

I know I'd better be nice or you'll sic Wally on me.....

For everyone elses benefit: I marched with Wally (aka Jeffs dad)..... :shutup:/>

hey you've been on stage with me too. I guess old age helped you forget that

:tongue:/>

domes, IMO, just make it worse with echo and balance, and when synths come, then the goo will enter the arena.

But here we are, 8 years since DCI legalized it, and balance is still an issue, and not addressed.

Only one time to I really remember ever seeing a statement made with the numbers about balance...Bluecoats 08 at Allentown. Upstairs perc guy nailed them for the balance issues. music ensemble score was higher. they won or were a close second on the field for percussion.

Yeah, I still cling to the hope that we can avoid synths, but I know it isn't likely.

A thought that just occurred to me, though, is if we are to crack down on poor balance with amplification, we're all of a sudden judging the efforts of someone who isn't even in uniform. I'm not against that, but I could see how people might oppose it. (EDIT: Of course, any design element that's judged does the same thing, so I think I just solved my own problem.)

Bloo 08's line was smokin', as their last few have been, but I'm glad someone kept them honest. Is there even a perc judge in the box anymore?

Edited by Tyler C.

Only one time do I really remember ever seeing a statement made with the numbers about balance... Bluecoats '08 at Allentown. Upstairs perc guy nailed them for the balance issues. Music ensemble score was higher. They won or were a close second on the field for percussion.

Perhaps that judge actually noticed the brief burst of feedback between the brass chorale and the non-amplified singing in "The Boxer".

• Like 1

hey you've been on stage with me too. I guess old age helped you forget that

:tongue:/>/>

LMAO.... I better look at that DVD again....

Who are you again? :tongue::devil:

It's been a while since I've heard a DCI tape when working with a group with amps and it was in 2006. Balance issues absolutely should be addressed by the judges.

In WGI, it's been my experience you'll get called out hard for that. Typically the kids run the boards and have had a few incidents when one of the electronics kids didn't set a level correctly and the PA and GE judge immediately made mention of it.

Yeah, I still cling to the hope that we can avoid synths, but I know it isn't likely.

A thought that just occurred to me, though, is if we are to crack down on poor balance with amplification, we're all of a sudden judging the efforts of someone who isn't even in uniform. I'm not against that, but I could see how people might oppose it. (EDIT: Of course, any design element that's judged does the same thing, so I think I just solved my own problem.)

Bloo 08's line was smokin', as their last few have been, but I'm glad someone kept them honest. Is there even a perc judge in the box anymore?

neither circuit has a full time perc judge upstairs now. you may get someone with a perc background on ensemble.

and as far as the score...if balance is an issue, regardless if it's a drumline over playing or the dial turned to 11, the score should show they were nailed for it. I'm not talking for a 1/2 second kind of thing, I'm talking all show long, and that type of issue still happens a lot