Carolina Crown 2013

Yes, I agree that the average person can enjoy the show at face value...but...the narration and a few of the sampled sounds would seem totally random. A poster even said here a few days ago that they couldn't see how some of it tied in with the theme. I agree to an extent that most shows should be pretty straightforward but I'm ok with having both, honestly. I'm sure I've said this before, but this is just one of those shows that, while very entertaining, might not be for everyone. This show is what it is.

IMO without the narration during Abyss, the guy and gal on the bench make no sense. Someone seeing the show for the first time would probably be confused as to how two people on a bench ties into the theme. But I will say again that the brass sounds absolutely phenomenal, so maybe most people won't even notice the bench.

Plague?

There was a 36hr flu bug going around the corps this past weekend...

The guy who does that part is the left DM. Tonight he's just conducting that part. I did see a brass player excuse himself from ensemble a little while ago and he has yet to return. Totally speculating here, but perhaps he caught the bug you mentioned.

This is random, but for the first time tonight I noticed that the hornline is about 80% male. Interesting.

one shouldnt have to research to get details though. Coming off the street with no knowledge of EOTB...none of it makes sense. I'm not really someone who follows Einstein, or random works of modern composers, so my guess is I have to work at it to get it.

From what I've seen, it's the only way. Shame, this has become the norm, not the oddity in DCI

For whatever it's worth, EotB doesn't actually have a point or make sense beyond being the ultimate manifestation of Philip Glass's early style. I agree with your concern, especially given that Crown has left out the resolution of the one sensible poem in the opera. Any narrated show that doesn't end with the words "fervent osculation" is a failure in my book. :w00t:

• Like 2

For whatever it's worth, EotB doesn't actually have a point or make sense beyond being the ultimate manifestation of Philip Glass's early style. I agree with your concern, especially given that Crown has left out the resolution of the one sensible poem in the opera. Any narrated show that doesn't end with the words "fervent osculation" is a failure in my book. w00t.gif

I too was disappointed to see those words neglected.

Perhaps they're saving them for the finals push :-)

Any narrated show that doesn't end with the words "fervent osculation" is a failure in my book. :w00t:/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>

Its quite possible however that the Crown staff will decide to have the Corps narrators say " fervent osculation " at the end and it won't be such a failure afterall. Theres lots of time here in the preseason to clean the show and to add some choice words to it before Finals. Also keep in mind that if the Crown staff ultimately decides for whatever reason to leave out the words " fervent osculation " in their show, that they will be given ample opportunity to explain to the judges for this omission decision in their discussions of their show theme with the judges that'll judge them in competition this summer.

Edited by BRASSO

Its quite possible however that the Crown staff will decide to have the Corps narrators say " fervent osculation " at the end and it won't be such a failure afterall. Theres lots of time here in the preseason to clean the show and to add some choice words to it before Finals. Also keep in mind that if the Crown staff ultimately decides for whatever reason to leave out the words " fervent osculation " in their show, that they will be given ample opportunity to explain to the judges for this omission decision in their discussions of their show theme with the judges that'll judge them in competition this summer.

hair-blown.jpg

• Like 1