Carolina Crown 2013

FWIW I don't think you need to do any research at all to enjoy the show.

HOWEVER if you *do* learn a little about EOTB, there are a lot of small details that make more sense (and for the terminally nerdy -- add to your enjoyment of the production).

But you don't need to know anything about EOTB to enjoy the show -- it's good drum corps at face value.

one shouldnt have to research to get details though. Coming off the street with no knowledge of EOTB...none of it makes sense. I'm not really someone who follows Einstein, or random works of modern composers, so my guess is I have to work at it to get it.

From what I've seen, it's the only way. Shame, this has become the norm, not the oddity in DCI

• Like 3

Like BD's show last year....you can either understand it deeply or enjoy it at face value. I think if I came off the street, I'd be confused but I would still appreciate how good they are and how well they performed.

Jeff you are smart enough to do the background research, so you have no excuse now :)

one shouldnt have to research to get details though. Coming off the street with no knowledge of EOTB...none of it makes sense. I'm not really someone who follows Einstein, or random works of modern composers, so my guess is I have to work at it to get it.

From what I've seen, it's the only way. Shame, this has become the norm, not the oddity in DCI

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

My dad and I are going to donate a snack for the corps when they reach California :thumbup:/>

• Like 3

That's patently untrue and has been untrue for a long time. A well-designed show has many, many layers, some of which of become obvious only with multiple viewing and/or prior knowledge. But none of that precludes designing a show which works at it's face value on the first viewing. Crown's show is such a design.

As for you having to work at it to "get it"...well .. that's par for the course colgate.gif

• Like 1

That's patently untrue and has been untrue for a long time. A well-designed show has many, many layers, some of which of become obvious only with multiple viewing and/or prior knowledge. But none of that precludes designing a show which works at it's face value on the first viewing. Crown's show is such a design.

As for you having to work at it to "get it"...well .. that's par for the course colgate.gif

That's true and we must realize that some judges will see the show multiple times. The "oh, I never noticed or heard that visual/musical phrase before" keeps them engaged.

That's patently untrue and has been untrue for a long time. A well-designed show for the judges has many, many layers, some of which of become obvious only with multiple viewing and/or prior knowledge. But none of that precludes designing a show which works at it's face value on the first viewing. Crown's show is such a design.

Added part in bold....

I think the best designed shows you get the first time.

Spartacus... you didn't have to know a single thing about the story.. and you could understand that show. Machine, Frameworks, Faust, Into the Light (there wasn't even a clear cut concept in my opinion, but it still brought some crowds to tears.)

In 2009.. I still don't fully understand the top two corps from that year.... I loved Crown... but I didn't understand the concept at all until I watched it numerous times on DVD. Otherwise.. I loved it because it was awesome music and visual.

The whole concept thing is mainly just for the judges and the hardcore fans.. like you and me. Most fans could care less... and if anything it bothers them when a show tries to ram a concept down your throat.. when you don't have a ####### clue what any of the concept stuff is without doing your own research. It is so frustrating when you can tell there is something you are supposed to understand.. but there is either too much going on, or you don't have enough knowledge to figure it out. That is not fan friendly.. and that puts people off to the activity.

• Like 1

FWIW I don't think you need to do any research at all to enjoy the show.

HOWEVER if you *do* learn a little about EOTB, there are a lot of small details that make more sense (and for the terminally nerdy -- add to your enjoyment of the production).

But you don't need to know anything about EOTB to enjoy the show -- it's good drum corps at face value.

Agree. I'm no expert on EOTB and I loved the video. They have the making of a great corps this year, IMO. I will familiarize myself with it more to heighten my enjoyment, but I don't think it is necessary.

• Like 1

Sorry if this was asked previously but where is Crown staying in Nashville? Apparently the son is too busy working on the show to communicate said info to his Old Man.

Many thanks!

Sorry if this was asked previously but where is Crown staying in Nashville? Apparently the son is too busy working on the show to communicate said info to his Old Man.

Many thanks!

Antioch HS, 1900 Hobson Pike, Nashville TN

The full calendar is up on Crown's site.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1