Colts 2013

Published on Jun 15, 2013

The Colts celebrated the men and women of the United States Armed Forces by participating in the annual Memorial Day parade in Dubuque followed by their tribute concert in Washington Park.

The day also marked the public debut of the new uniforms. For new and veteran Colts alike, becoming the first person to wear a new corps uniform was truly a spectacular moment.

What an amazing group. Thanx for sharing!

The Colts are spending today at the "Field of Dreams" movie site, with a stop at Walmart on the way to their new housing site in DeWitt, IA. Cornfield tour continues with a Thursday night community show in DeWitt, and the Colts Summer Preview with the Colt Cadets on Saturday night at Loras College in Dubuque. Both shows are FREE, so come on out and see the RED TEAM in action!

Summer Premier info: CLICK HERE

Happy Fathers Day!

From the Field of Dreams Movie Site:

"As they celebrate their 50th anniversary, the Colts www.COLTS.org stopped at the Movie Site this weekend to play a ballad from the Field of Dreams music score and their corps song. Was great to have so much talent performing on the Field at one time."

(Surf around on the corps facebook page to see lots of photos of the Colts running the bases, exploring the site, and having a great time.)

The corps song "Morning"

• 3 weeks later...

this is the best video I've found so far of any shows they've done full out.

I love you, Red Team !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqyWek-sEA

Edited by nicholasross

The Colts are spending today at the "Field of Dreams" movie site, with a stop at Walmart on the way to their new housing site in DeWitt, IA. Cornfield tour continues with a Thursday night community show in DeWitt, and the Colts Summer Preview with the Colt Cadets on Saturday night at Loras College in Dubuque. Both shows are FREE, so come on out and see the RED TEAM in action!

Summer Premier info: CLICK HERE

Happy Fathers Day!

me at 0:33. :D

I like what I saw in the video, but I can't wait to see them live. It's unclear whether some of the buzz is from the video quality or the members. And while I appreciate someone filming that, it could give some of the queasier people motion sickness.

I like the show, but it leans a bit to the "marching" band side of things. There are some cool effects, but I guess with an old-school theme, I was expecting some old school drum corps moments. Again, it could be the video, but I didn't really feel the emotional weight that past shows have had (last year's closer comes to my biased mind).

Unfortunately, I'm also still a little unsure about the trumpet soloists. Both awesome people (I'd count them as friends), but it was a blow to lose last year's trumpet soloist. On the other hand, it's very early July, and they still have some time to grow.

All in all, lots of room for improvement. But the judges' scores give me some hope of the Red Team pulling out of the scoring funk they've been in for a while now.

EDIT: As this was based on viewing a YouTube video, I didn't realize there are five trumpet soloists. For of them are my friends, and I just haven't had a chance to meet the fifth. After seeing them rehearse, what I thought I was worried about was an uncommon run for one of them. These guys have all stepped up to the plate and come out swinging.

Edited by max.meigel

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a shame that nobody seems to want to talk about shows outside the top 13-ish. I'd love to get more people's opinions outside of individual shows, since I can make it to a very small portion of live productions. What do you all think about the change in the visual program? Does anyone have information for me on Sully and his history with the activity? What does the corps need to do to have a legitimate shot at challenging the Blue Stars/Troopers/Crossmen block (even to only overtake one of them)?

I think it's a shame that nobody seems to want to talk about shows outside the top 13-ish. I'd love to get more people's opinions outside of individual shows, since I can make it to a very small portion of live productions. What do you all think about the change in the visual program? Does anyone have information for me on Sully and his history with the activity? What does the corps need to do to have a legitimate shot at challenging the Blue Stars/Troopers/Crossmen block (even to only overtake one of them)?

Sully and I think most of the new visual staff came from Blue Knights. If you don't remember, last year Blue Knights placed 8th in visual above the Cavaliers, Madison, ect. and even beat the Bluecoats in a subcaption. When it comes to visual design and cleaning, they know what to do! I think a lot of the reason right now that they are not scoring closer to the group you mentioned is music. All of those groups are doing alright visually and better musically in my opinion. Colts music scores all season have been pretty low comparatively to their very high visual scores, which are top 12 in a lot of cases. Get the brass and percussion to the level of the marching, and they're a solid finalist. It's a really fun anniversary show that I agree, should be getting more attention. Recognizeable music, phenomenal visual design, and they're performing the heck out of it. It's also another REALLY stacked year in the 12 - 18 range. The most stacked ever in my opinion. Wherever they place, they're doing very well. A few years ago this could be a finalist in my opinion, just a really strong year.

I can say, in addition to watching the 1, 2, 3 race, the 4-6 corps that slug it out for the 10-12 spots generates a huge amount of excitement. Sully has a long and successful DC history - hall of fame calibre to be sure. The new visual staff has done wonders, cleaning up what was perhaps the evident area for best growth. The Corps has utilized some fantastic and memorable musical elements in the past few seasons that gets whole crowds on their feet. The best step next: take those 2-4 minutes and make it 10. A full season with Sully, from design to implementation, will take that step a long way. Right now, they're at the point where they don't have to reinvent the wheel, they just have to improve the tire on that wheel.

Edited by 13strokeroll

I mentioned this in another thread but it's as if the Colts are invisible to some. Last night it was all about the Troopers getting to Spirit; Crossmen may pass the Troopers and be head-to-head with Spirit; Pacific Crest moving up so fast, WHOA, wait a minute, the Colts were there too!

The Troopers were only 1.5 ahead of The Colts last night and The Trooper's are sitting at 1.75 behind Spirit. The Colts are on The Troopers tail and so it seems The Colts are closer to catching The Trooper's than The Troopers are to catching Spirit but no one seems or wants to pay attention to that. :unsure:

The Crossmen are a mere .85 ahead of The Colts, yet the talk is how they'll also catch Spirit, is it unconceivable The Colts may pass The Crossmen in the future?

Pacific Crest came in at 2.25 below The Colts last night but not a word was mentioned about that and in fact, The Colts weren't mentioned at all in the competition last night, it's like they're invisible.

I think The Colts are holding their own and for some reason they are being over looked, their visual has been consistently competitive.

I wouldn't throw them out of this competition; although they go on at a pretty lousy time in San Antonio, that will hurt them but it's not over. I wish them the best but I sure wish people would not act as if they're not there and in this competition, because they're definitely there. :cheer: Giddy-Up Red Team! Show them "The Field of Dreams"

• Like 2