Santa Clara Vanguard 2013

Shoulda posted this yesterday but it was a long drive. Drove 3 and a half hours for the Warrensburg show. Met up with my Aunt who I was going to the show with that night and she mentioned my cousin was in color guard in high school for 3 years and just graduated 2 years ago and last year she was in an automobile accident and was paralyzed from the waist down. I suggested we go by and pick her up and go watch one of the corps practice at the Blue Springs high school because they were open and there would be a wheelchair ramp. Well went and she was just blown away by Santa Clara Vanguard. There was a group sitting in the stands behind us but we got a front row seat. She said she hadn't felt this happy since before the accident. She was so moved by you guys!! We were driving to go eat and she was almost in tears. I don't know if anyone in the corps marching out there saw us but they sure made a difference in my cousins' mood. She was smiling from the moment they started playing until we dropped her off. I gave her my fan network password so she could watch the show live since me and my aunt would be there and i wouldn't need to use my account. She just loved you guys and I was so happy you guys made her day.

:bigsmile:

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Shoulda posted this yesterday but it was a long drive. Drove 3 and a half hours for the Warrensburg show. Met up with my Aunt who I was going to the show with that night and she mentioned my cousin was in color guard in high school for 3 years and just graduated 2 years ago and last year she was in an automobile accident and was paralyzed from the waist down. I suggested we go by and pick her up and go watch one of the corps practice at the Blue Springs high school because they were open and there would be a wheelchair ramp. Well went and she was just blown away by Santa Clara Vanguard. There was a group sitting in the stands behind us but we got a front row seat. She said she hadn't felt this happy since before the accident. She was so moved by you guys!! We were driving to go eat and she was almost in tears. I don't know if anyone in the corps marching out there saw us but they sure made a difference in my cousins' mood. She was smiling from the moment they started playing until we dropped her off. I gave her my fan network password so she could watch the show live since me and my aunt would be there and i wouldn't need to use my account. She just loved you guys and I was so happy you guys made her day.

So awesome! :thumbup:

Since my last post on this thread was---

I figure I should let you all know that after my cousin watched the live stream from the Warrensburg show, she said SCV was her favorite and if she wasn't paralyzed from the waist down, she would want to audition for SCV color guard before any other corps color guards.....I think what SCV is doing on the field is inspiring not only to long time fans of the corps, but also to those who are brand new and had no idea drum corps existed.

• Like 3

Since my last post on this thread was---

I figure I should let you all know that after my cousin watched the live stream from the Warrensburg show, she said SCV was her favorite and if she wasn't paralyzed from the waist down, she would want to audition for SCV color guard before any other corps color guards.....I think what SCV is doing on the field is inspiring not only to long time fans of the corps, but also to those who are brand new and had no idea drum corps existed.

Agreed, at least for my situation. One of the people I brought to the show this year is brand new to drum corps. Her favorite was SCV at Stanford... not just for the music they played but for the classy looking uniforms and the elegant overall design of the program. She didn't really like the avant-garde, weird looking uniforms of other corps, namely Crown and Blue Devils. She loved Crown too though.

• Like 1

Just so you know, msumello, your post was shared on the Santa Clara Vanguard Alumni group page on Facebook. It meant a lot to everyone to see that the Vanguard has touched your cousin and calls to her, or as we say, "The Vanguard chooses you." Vanguard is the absolute epitome of class this season. They just ooze class and passion and I know all alumni couldn't be happier.

Thank you so much for sharing this story!

btw - The Santa Clara Vanguard is also has a public page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/SCV

• Like 2

I read msumello's post above and couldn't help but think GR might've smiled down from heaven at that; the 2013 kids I bet are proud to have heard that too. :cool:

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 1

Just so you know, msumello, your post was shared on the Santa Clara Vanguard Alumni group page on Facebook. It meant a lot to everyone to see that the Vanguard has touched your cousin and calls to her, or as we say, "The Vanguard chooses you." Vanguard is the absolute epitome of class this season. They just ooze class and passion and I know all alumni couldn't be happier.

Thank you so much for sharing this story!

btw - The Santa Clara Vanguard is also has a public page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/SCV

Thanks!, She's such a sweet girl and so soft spoken, so when she expressed her love for this years SCV corps, it wasn't something she would usually do, which I thought should be noted to the corps and the members that were on that field that afternoon. I don't know if the kids on that field truly know it, but what they did on that field just practicing, the power and class they give off just is mind blowing. Channel that and anything can happen. She won't be able to come to finals in Indy, but I will and she's already given me an order to cheer for them for one of the top spots, which I am more than happy to do.

• Like 1

Thanks!, She's such a sweet girl and so soft spoken, so when she expressed her love for this years SCV corps, it wasn't something she would usually do, which I thought should be noted to the corps and the members that were on that field that afternoon. I don't know if the kids on that field truly know it, but what they did on that field just practicing, the power and class they give off just is mind blowing. Channel that and anything can happen. She won't be able to come to finals in Indy, but I will and she's already given me an order to cheer for them for one of the top spots, which I am more than happy to do.

Thank you for sharing this post. It seems many of us only point out the down side of shows and why don't our corps do better score wise but what truly matters is how it is still possible for a drum corps to go out and create magic on the field that impacts people and not just focused on pleasing the judges. Your message touched me and hopefully many other corps designers who will focus their attention on the audience and not just the booth.

-Jesse

Edited by amadorj