Availability of DCI performances for DCA corps

unnecessary BS cleaned up - back on topic....

Dan, it may be that the other DCI show(s) simply have a tighter timeline and are not able to include more corps? IIRC the 'all day' Atlanta regional has more flexibility to include the all age members.

and I'm also wondering if there would be more opportunity if the show sponsors were to specifically ask for the all age corps to be included when the schedule is compiled....not sure...

it may also just come down to money. Running a DCI show isn't cheap, and clearly there is a pecking order, even if the All Age corps are DCI members. First comes World Class, then Open Class, then All Age or any other exhibition groups. The more you front load your show with World Class corps, especially top placing ones, the more your show will cost you

A lot of communities have time limits on how late outdoor musical events are allowed (like Annapolis for DCA Championships). It may have been that the organizers felt that adding more performing units would or could put them past the local time restriction. Atlanta being an indoor venue, wouldn't be subject to such restrictions-or possibly, Atlanta doesn't have such a restriction and therefore the point becomes moot.

• Like 1

I can tell you that a similar things happen at DCA shows in the North East also.

I know there was a DCA Show to be held in a town next to mine. They(the Corps Sponsor) had 2 Alumni (type) Corps ask to be in it. One was a in State, Nationaly famous unit. (I do not know the reason they were turned down.) The other corps was a more local/regionaly known Corps. They said they would come FREE, (well they did want a suvi / info table at show), They would do what ever they were allowed. (Park and Play on field. Play in Suvie area. Or what or where ever. They(the Alumni Corps) were TOLD that "DCA does NOT allow non DCA Corps at their shows". (I mean like they(the AlumniCorps) were too stupid to know that was UN TRUE.) So they just let it go. It was only a five Corps show. AND there was NO time limit when the show had to end.

I would also like to say it was a VERY POORLY advertised show. I Found NOTHING in at all. If not for DCP, and connected to BOTH Corps that were turned down. I would NOT have even known ther was a SHOW less than 12 miles from my home. With a Newspaper of over 500,000 thousand in Sales. Has a Daily Events listing, AND a Weely Events that spot lights Regional Events with Stories and Photo's. All for less tha $50 - S100.00.

So now, WHO is to Blame, that the show left after just 2 years. ('10 & '11) I say:The Corps Running the Show.

(I left out Names of Corps. No need to cause even more problems. BUT, these FACTS & NOT hear say.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

from what I can tell, DCA itself runs three shows a year....Scranton, Prelims and Finals. I suppose everything else is left to the organizations/people that sponsor those shows.

Cabs run shows in Wildwood and Clifton that have historically had non-DCA corps performing...numerous alumni corps in addition to the Cabs Alumni and <gasp> DCI corps )(Raiders, Jersey Surf, to name two). I could be mistaken, but I believe that several years ago when Bucs home show was earlier in the year, there would be some DCI corps performing.

Can't paint DCA with such a broad brush, IMO.

from what I can tell, DCA itself runs three shows a year....Scranton, Prelims and Finals. I suppose everything else is left to the organizations/people that sponsor those shows.

Cabs run shows in Wildwood and Clifton that have historically had non-DCA corps performing...numerous alumni corps in addition to the Cabs Alumni and <gasp> DCI corps )(Raiders, Jersey Surf, to name two). I could be mistaken, but I believe that several years ago when Bucs home show was earlier in the year, there would be some DCI corps performing.

And I DID NOT say DCA. It was the Sponsor of the particular show I was talking about.

I said;

"They(the Alumni Corps) were TOLD that "DCA does NOT allow non DCA Corps at their shows".

(I mean they(the AlumniCorps) were too stupid to know that was UN TRUE.)

I said in my post that it was NOT -- DCA , that said NO to the other Corps. It was the SPONSOR!!

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Also keep your little "gasp" for someone else.

I also Like Variety. I am Lucky enough to live in New Jersey. I get " See And Hear" - ALL - types of what is put out.

One of the BEST in New Jersey: is the Bridgemen Show. which usualy has 2 DCI Corps (one WC one Open), 2 DCA Corps (One Open one Class A) and about 5 Alumni type Corps. (No Scores for anyone). Just a Great night of " Drum Corps ".

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

SoCal Dream is in 8 DCI Pacific Region shows this season....

Finding any drum corps show to compete in or even conduct an exhibition for DCA South corps is poor at best. DCI does what it can but mentioned before all age corps are the last selected. Most corps coming out of Texas get into the Gulfcoast show.

Even if we had more southern show, the corps up north will not spend the money to come, yet all of us in the south don't have a choice if we want to compete.....yikes! This becomes the biggest reason IMO why southern corps don't compete in over three of four shows before prelims! Cost, cost, cost! Our travel budgets per competition are probably triple what a northeast corps would spend.

Location, location, location!!!!

Happy New Year to All!!!