What ever happened to BIG DRUMS!

I still don't know how the guys playing drum 3 or bigger do it,....... worthy.gif

Being 6'2" and 215 pounds is a good start...

Being 6'2" and 215 pounds is a good start...

and mentally challenged

:tongue:/>

• Like 4

I still don't know how the guys playing drum 3 or bigger do it,....... :worthy:/>

Drum three is the perfect workout, not too small as to look like you would rather be playing snare, and not to big as to break your back.

and mentally challenged

:tongue:/>/>

I know you got a down vote for that post, and my policy is not to green/red someone else's vote just to bring it back to zero, so I'll let it stand. But I will have to agree that anyone willing to carry something heavy all summer has different wiring than most. That goes for Tubas and Tenors also!

and mentally challenged

tongue.gif/>

Shh... we're still trying to blend in with the normal humans! ph34r.gif

I was having a discussion about BD history with the snare tech for our HS and he mentioned that in 87 they had cut a hole in the bottom bass.

I said yea that is because they actually carried bass drums back then and needed to see where they were going.

I remember carrying tenors with a drum as big as bass one now days!

Up until the early 80's the standard snare was 15" with a silver dot or occasionally a Remo clear dot. I enjoyed the sound of the TDR's and Challengers much more so than today's Kevlar. Today's snares just do not have the tone quality - they sound like someone playing on a Formica countertop.

Agreed. Though the kevlar heads have improved over the years, they still produce a thin, brittle sound imo. Mylar, baby!

Marty had PR marching a 40" bass up through about 1980. Brought a lot of bottom end to the sound.

Of course, that guy mostly limped up and down the 50 yard line and wasn't really very actively involved in the linear texture of the bass drum voice, mostly just going 'boom' at the impact points. Big sound though, no argument!

Tenors were 14-16-18 and went to 12-14-16 with the Ludwig Power Toms. Then Slingerland came out with the cut-away toms and I still question if anyone has produced as fine a tenor sound as the Slingerland cut-aways.

I do recall that the Slingerland cut-aways appeared relatively early on, 1978 or maybe even a little earlier, in any case contemporary to the Ludwig tenors with the scoops(which sounded kind of boxy, imo). Sound-wise, I'll confess that I've grown accustomed to the higher pitched modern tenor voice; those old 14-16-18 (and even the 12-14-16s) trios are rather muddy sounding to my ears.

Thanks for sharing your recollections with us,

Fred O.

I do recall that the Slingerland cut-aways appeared relatively early on, 1978 or maybe even a little earlier, in any case contemporary to the Ludwig tenors with the scoops(which sounded kind of boxy, imo). Sound-wise, I'll confess that I've grown accustomed to the higher pitched modern tenor voice; those old 14-16-18 (and even the 12-14-16s) trios are rather muddy sounding to my ears.

'77 was the first year of the Cut-a-Way tenors. Both Ludwig and Slingerland were looking for responses to BD's use of the North tenors in '76. Slingerland went with the cut opening, Ludwig with the scoops, and we see who won that argument.

Until Ludwig went to a straight bias-cut in '81, and took the ball home permanently, at least from a design standpoint.

Drum three is the perfect workout, not too small as to look like you would rather be playing snare, and not to big as to break your back.

I know you got a down vote for that post, and my policy is not to green/red someone else's vote just to bring it back to zero, so I'll let it stand. But I will have to agree that anyone willing to carry something heavy all summer has different wiring than most. That goes for Tubas and Tenors also!

I don't care if I got a red or a green....I originally started carrying a 34 inch bass drum. Thank God the next camp someone came in and said they wanted the biggest drum, so I went up to a 30 inch drum. My back still screams at me, 23 years later,and I worked my way up to an 18 inch drum before I was done.

But hey, all jokes aside, I have all the respect in the world for dudes carrying the beasts. Especially today, you play far more than just impact notes, and the drill is far more demanding. it takes a certain kind of sickness to want to do it, and I applaud those that do.

Shh... we're still trying to blend in with the normal humans! ph34r.gif

I know man....I did it for one summer. that was enough