G7 Update

We live in a completely different world than we did even ten years ago. Everything has changed, especially effective marketing and running a business. The foundations may be the same, but those who cannot adapt will not survive.

In reality, should the split occur, neither will survive.

• Like 1

What a strange e-mail. "DCI is struggling, we don't know how to fix it any better than you do, but you should put us in charge anyway (or we might leave)".

• Like 6

If the G7/MiM7/WE7 or whatever they want to be called this week want to have their own 6 shows - Let them.

However, we get to pick which 6 DCI shows that they can't do. I'm thinking Finals, Semi-Finals, Quarter-Finals, DCI-East, DCI-South, and DCI-West.

Seems fair to me. What do you think?

love this idea!!!!!!!!!!

These are interesting times.

Quote: " We hope and will work to produce an excellent year for each of us, and for the entire organization. "

Exactly how the entire organization will be enriched by 7 groups breaking away ( for a portion of the season ) and providing a newer programming option that could well be more attractive than the current product, perhaps competing for the same dollars and winning that battle, is the question that needs to be answered.

I believe what the G-7 wants to do with their own shows is to create something different that everyone else (non-G-7 corps) will come to realize they should emulate. Hate me, but the G-7 could be right! Right about the need for a better mousetrap. But, in the interim, how in the world does creating a competing entertainment option help the stability of the others who are not invited to experiment, mostly on the company's dime?

I'd like this situation more if those separate G-7 shows would be obligated to contribute a portion of their revenue back to their teammates left on the bench. On the other hand, I'm sure the G-7 pitch is this " Look, guys, we have the resources and ability to take over Research & Development on your behalf. By doing our own thing, we ARE providing value to all other corps! "

• Like 3

How many young people, of marching age, are on here complaining about the G7? My guess is NONE! These kids are the future of drum corps and they will take these changes with them and even alter them later on.

Those same kids don't give a crap about what we say because we are older.

I'm young, I've marched before. I hope to stay around DCI for several years to come. I don't see this proposal as moving in a direction that is good for the activity, on the basis of the historical pattern and claims made by these directors. I am in no way completely representative of my generation, but I think it would be fair to say most of my friends would prefer to see a healthy activity as a whole.

Actually, in the interest of historical accuracy, DCI was founded on "we're the act, we should be making the money", verbatim from Jim Jones.

(Check out the Brass Roots video on Fan Network; he said it to Don Warren at a mens room in Wisconsin. We can only assume that he was talking about their respective drum corps...)

In the sense that the revenues generated by the drum corps should be returned to the drum corps rather than being siphoned off by the VFW and American Legion, yes.

In the sense that the revenues should be siphoned off from the corps with lower competitive placements (I will not conflate that with the successful corps, and neither should you) to benefit the corps who place higher on the field, not at all. I interpret the motivations of DCI's founders as being to create an environment where drum corps (plural) could flourish. Of course they expected their corps to benefit, but I doubt they wanted that at the expense of the corps around them, which is the point.

Edited by regisminae
  • Like 1

Imagine how very different the NFL would be if voting was limited only to those 12 teams who make the playoffs...

- Competitive rules may be restructured so as to benefit those 12 teams, and to the detriment of the bottom 20 non-playoff teams.

- Rules concerning finances may be skewed to benefit the top 12, and to the detriment of the bottom 20.

- Rules concerning the draft (talent selection) may be changed to direct top talent to the top 12 and away from the bottom 20.

- Talented players may steer themselves toward the top 12 and away from the bottom 20.

- The scheduling of games (performances) may be structered to gain maximum exposure and profitability for the top 12, and away from the bottom 20.

- The lion's share of revenues would go to the top 12 because of their ability to position their product, keeping the bottom 20 out of the game.

- This would create an ongoing competitive dominance for the top 12 that would effectively shut the bottom 20 out of the game for good.

- Some, if not all of the bottom 20 would likely shut down due to a combination of talent and finance issues, leaving a league that is essentially comprised of the top 12 organizations.

Sound familiar?

• Like 2

The G7 got us here by making poor business decisions over the past couple of decades.

I don't expect them to get us out either.

Their egos are out of control.. and supposedly the G7 themselves can't agree on one vision!

All this G7 ######## has done is hurt the activity more. From the 990 thread financial stability has almost nothing to do with placement. The only thing placement and money have to do with each other is how much they spend!!! And these 7 corps spend WAY TOO MUCH. They leave themselves absolutely no wiggle room.

It's simple. Make more than you spend. So stop adding things into the activity that force corps to spend more.

I have no clue what the answers are. But ALL the corps need to start working together. And George, Gibbs, Fielder and crew need to leave their egos and spending habits at the door and really work to find a solution. A power grab will do nothing to help. I don't think competing outside of the DCI umbrella will help anything either.

I also think George Hopkins needs to go before he ruins the Cadets.

• Like 1