Drumline Battle and SoundSport

While everyone is gushing over the potential prospects of SoundSport and DrumlineBattle, I have to ask:

How does it make money for DCI?

Is it about ticket sales? Is it about future drum corps ticket and souvie sales?

Is it a different revenue issue than drum corps, or is it the same problem (relevence) wrapped in a different uniform and on a smaller field?

Is it a non-correlated revenue stream that helps diversify DCI's income?

Is it focusing on the business of drum corps or more attention on the artsy side of the activity?

Disclaimer: I like the idea of SS and DLB, especially if I can utilize in running my DCI show. I'm not poo-pooing the ideas (and credit those who developed them) but I want to know how this new venture will help improve the 990 spreadsheet this year and in the future.

*BUMP* because I'm still waiting for an answer.

(Dan's didn't count because he only addressed HIS profits, not DCI's)

garfield, 'ya mean TEP are now being given Chinese food menus?

Choose from 300 Column A, B, or C choices? smile.gif

No, LOL, quite the contrary:

"Don't think that you can pick and choose from the lineup we give you. We present whole shows; the corps we schedule for your show is not up for negotiation."

*BUMP* because I'm still waiting for an answer.

(Dan's didn't count because he only addressed HIS profits, not DCI's)

Why does it have to be a revenue generator? What if it's designed to be revenue neutral, while expanding DCI's reach? I'd think that would be a far better plan for DCI's viability in the long run.

Why does it have to be a revenue generator? What if it's designed to be revenue neutral, while expanding DCI's reach? I'd think that would be a far better plan for DCI's viability in the long run.

Which could be a revenue generator in the long run, down the road. I agree that this doesn't have to necessarily be designed to make money for DCI in 2013 (just like Star buses weren't designed to generate money for the corps in 1986)

One only needs to listen to the audience to realize that the group is connecting with those around them, and those people don't see the performance in the same way that we might.

What you point out is a valuable lesson for us to remember as this new project gets off the ground: Our personal concept of entertainment may not be the same as that of the general public. If we allow ourselves to open our eyes and ears to what "clicks" with others, perhaps we might eventually bring some of those people into the drum corps camp.

To become more inclusive, we need to be willing to be less lofty about everything we do and be more welcoming of those who are less educated about our niche of the world of pageantry.

I spend my weekends with kids who struggle to play, are dirty as hell, can barely keep things together and intonation is literally a foreign concept.

.... and I love it.

We all tend to get a bit too hung up on where things end up and forget how they might be relative to where they're starting from.

To quote one director I am working with - "If these kids can play a funeral march near my grave when I die and play even almost in tune, I will have not lived in vain".

Again, it's not about the masterpiece you may ultimately create, but about what you bust your ### to do with the lump of clay you're starting with.

• Like 3

Because DCI's mission is to produce shows and generate the maximum amount of revenue possible for the corps.

Expanding DCI's reach is meaningless in that context unless it also generates revenue. All I'm asking is how that goal will be accomplished by breaking even.

Because DCI's mission is to produce shows and generate the maximum amount of revenue possible for the corps.

Expanding DCI's reach is meaningless in that context unless it also generates revenue. All I'm asking is how that goal will be accomplished by breaking even.

Extending your reach brings in new people...who may just end up going to DCI shows, using the Fan Network, and supporting corps. It's about a lot more than making a quick buck.

• Like 3

Extending your reach brings in new people...who may just end up going to DCI shows, using the Fan Network, and supporting corps. It's about a lot more than making a quick buck.

Yeah, I see this as maybe DCI's most innovative and realistic attempt at drawing in more/new fans in quite awhile. We have a niche of a niche activity, and DCI figured out a way to not only get more people involved rather than those who can pay thousands of dollars to march corps, but also maybe found a way to pull in more fans who maybe haven't been into DCI yet. They might've figured out a way to pull in more bandos, and more young (and old) adults who are active in music who might not know much about DCI. This is FAR more realistic than putting their product up on youtube for free, or spending money on networks to advertise their product.

This is FAR more realistic than putting their product up on youtube for free, or spending money on networks to advertise their product.

Well, they should be doing that as well. Put up free short clips of recent shows, and entire shows for everything past a year or two. You'll reach far more than the Fan Network ever will.

Edited by Kamarag