Carolina Crown

It's possible we've been had again by an OP who lights the fuse then runs.

Watching Carolina Crown makes the hair stand up on my arms. What more explanation do you need for why they're awesome?

But that's only your personal opinion. Crown's show just bore me to tears. Probably because I'm more of a percussion/visual person. Nothing about their shows draw my eyes; they just glaze over and wander around so that I'm stuck watching their timpani/bass players just saunter around the backfield after their intro last year. Or I check out their guard soloist who's just kind of skipping around the field. So then a chord comes out of nowhere because they can't keep their volume up when running, jarring me back to reality, only to have them start a brass feature, while sitting on the ground.

I get that you don't like Crown's shows over the years very much despite each year's shows being so completely different from one season to the next re. their shows and its many different design constructs over the years.... and I get that you so don't like Crown discussion threads because ( your words ) " have so much fighting in them ", and that you get nothing out of the Crown thread discussions because ( you words ) you " can't pick anything constructive out of them ", but if you think that your thread here requires someone to ( your words ) help " expand your knowledge ", why do you believe that your current opinion of Crown's shows needs your reeducation at all ? That I don't get. If you like something, you like it.. if you don't, you don't. Why do you believe thaat you have insufficient training and experience to form your OWN opinion, (and requiring your reeducation to " expand your knowledge " ), particularly since you told us that you've been following the Drum Corps activity since ( your words ) " five years old and have a very good grasp of Corps show design " ?

This is a bait thread. Simple as that. You know it. Most ( but not all ) others here got that right from the getgo too. You didn't start this thread in hopes of changing your opinion on the Crown Corps, its design team, or its Corps fans, at all. Thats how I see this thread and your primary motive behind it, anyway.... to" expand your knowledge " ?,... Sure, right...thats too funny for further words, imo.

I was kind of with you on your first paragraph (after I deciphered the English), but why do you have to attack the OP after that? The OP clearly feels like they're missing out on something and, since they love drum corps so much, doesn't want to miss out on this so-called excellence. But every time they ask someone what they're missing, they just get accused of starting a bait thread. This is why we can't have nice things. Also, if you really think it's a bait thread, you wouldn't have responded. Instead, you respond and tell the OP you won't waste words on their thoughts...after wasting words on their thoughts.

• Like 6

On the contrary. I am reading and what I get out of all of this has been eye opening. Perhaps some of you are correct in saying that I will never be a Crown fan. But it was nice to see it from a fan's perspective. But what I hear from all of you is mainly about their brass and me being a visual person (hence the SPINmetosleep) I guess I will just never get it. I thank you all for your time and for those of you who were not quick to jump down a persons throat when they ask questions.

Hey. Listen. You're not alone. I didn't get Second Chance in 2010 or even Common Good last year. In both cases the design and the content (versus execution) just left me flat.

But you know what? That happens. I don't understand the acclaim for Phantom 2006 or plenty of other fan-favorite shows. Nor do I like every show every year from any corps.

It's not popular to say this on DCP but corps ought to experiment, which implies that not everything will succeed. I didn't care much for Crown 2010, yet I loved Rach Star the next year. Had Crown been playing it safe, I doubt 2011 would have have happened, which would have been a shame.

I'll take my chances each and every year with all the corps and all the shows. I never know what I'll like next.

HH

[/size]

Actually I think the early posters defused this thread pretty well. This thread is downright civilized :-)

We need to do something about that. :tongue:

But that's only your personal opinion. Crown's show just bore me to tears.

Two thoughts:

1. Yes, it is "only" my personal opinion. On the other hand, who else's opinion can I give you?

2. In this thread we're being asked to say what our personal opinions are. So, what's your point? My opinion's not valid because yours is different?

Hey. Listen. You're not alone. I didn't get Second Chance in 2010 or even Common Good last year. In both cases the design and the content (versus execution) just left me flat.

But you know what? That happens. I don't understand the acclaim for Phantom 2006 or plenty of other fan-favorite shows. Nor do I like every show every year from any corps.

It's not popular to say this on DCP but corps ought to experiment, which implies that not everything will succeed. I didn't care much for Crown 2010, yet I loved Rach Star the next year. Had Crown been playing it safe, I doubt 2011 would have have happened, which would have been a shame.

I'll take my chances each and every year with all the corps and all the shows. I never know what I'll like next.

HH

I liked Second Chance better than Rach Star... And Phantom 2006 is my all time favorite show. So you are DUMB! devil.gif

Two thoughts:

1. Yes, it is "only" my personal opinion. On the other hand, who else's opinion can I give you?

2. In this thread we're being asked to say what our personal opinions are. So, what's your point? My opinion's not valid because yours is different?

You could give him mine. Renting out my opinion is how I'm raising money for my charitable foundation.

You could give him mine. Renting out my opinion is how I'm raising money for my charitable foundation.

A "penny for your thoughts", Michael. ( haha )

Edited by BRASSO