DCI Woman Today

Well, it's kind of difficult to select board members from the directorships from all the World Class corps when only one director is a woman, and this is her first year as such with a World Class corps; Colts. (Granted, she was chair of the Open Class corps while director of Colt Cadets and she's got a brilliant mind...but I suspect even her most ardent supporters would want her to bet comfortable with her directorship before introducing her to another responsibility that would sap her time from her new position.)

Besides...would you push someone you really loved and respected into that cuddly pit of teddy bears?

I really don't have any idea who would make a good ninth member of the BoD, but I have a question for you Michael: Does this ninth member need to be a Corps Director?

Perhaps the person could be from outside the activity?

Edited by RockyGranite

I don't think the original post makes much sense, and certainly goes overboard on the rhetoric, but there is a legitimate discussion to be had on this topic. There's certainly a dearth of women in leadership positions (caption heads, show designers, corps directors, corps boards, the DCI board). And in some places, such as on corps boards of directors, there's no excuse not to have more women represented.

On last year's top 11 boards of directors, as reported on the corps websites, 22 of 162 directors were women. And three groups (Crown, YEA/Cadets, and Madison) had zero women on their boards. Blue Devils had the most women (five of 14 directors) and Spirit was second in terms of percentage representation (behind BD) with 3 of 9 directors (including the board president) being women.

• Like 1

I don't think the original post makes much sense, and certainly goes overboard on the rhetoric, but there is a legitimate discussion to be had on this topic. There's certainly a dearth of women in leadership positions (caption heads, show designers, corps directors, corps boards, the DCI board). And in some places, such as on corps boards of directors, there's no excuse not to have more women represented.

On last year's top 11 boards of directors, as reported on the corps websites, 22 of 162 directors were women. And three groups (Crown, YEA/Cadets, and Madison) had zero women on their boards. Blue Devils had the most women (five of 14 directors) and Spirit was second in terms of percentage representation (behind BD) with 3 of 9 directors (including the board president) being women.

Although the corps is in the "all age" category, the Kilties' 9 member BOD consist of the 4 executive officers of the actual corporation and 5 directors at large; of which 5 of the 9 total are female.

Hmm. This may be too tough for the usual DCPers? No one has answered the second paragraph. Not even the Boo.

Unless I'm dating or married to an influential drum corps woman that asks said question, (which would make the answer an easy one), I am not going to offer which woman I think is the most influential in drum corps.

I really don't have any idea who would make a good ninth member of the BoD, but I have a question for you Michael: Does this ninth member need to be a Corps Director?

Perhaps the person could be from outside the activity?

My impression is the board is looking for someone who is not a corps director. I believe that person could come from anywhere. I'm thinking the Secretary General of the UN would be a nice fit, or Bishop Desmond Tutu.

Women in the room (any room) means that men behave better.

True.. and likewise research studies universally show that when there are men in the room, woman become VERY competitive with one another, ( as opposed to being in an environment with just all women present) and so its up to one's personal values if such competitiveness among women when in an environment with men is " behaving better " or not.

Edited by BRASSO

there is a legitimate discussion to be had on this topic. There's certainly a dearth of women in leadership positions (caption heads, show designers, corps directors, corps boards, the DCI board). And in some places, such as on corps boards of directors, there's no excuse not to have more women represented.

This question certainly could be broadened to include DCI Corps that have no women on the competition field at all too. There has been the full integration of both men and women into all the DCA Competing Corps now for close to 40 years. That said, I am not opposed at all to both the Madison Scouts and the Cavaliers having no woman in their Corps. But I just find it a bit odd that there is a thread started here on the dearth of adult Woman in DCI leadership positions, ( true ) when we have 2 Corps that do not have young Woman out on the field representing their Corps in DCI competition.

Edited by BRASSO

Interesting topic. I'm sorry the OP got so many red negatives. I like the conversation starter!

I've noticed for years the lack of female presence in the board room of DCI, but it never really bothered me. I do think there is something to be said for having perspectives from all kinds of people, but I don't think it's necessary for DCI to intentionally go looking for a woman to join the board. Gender shouldn't matter too much. Either you are professional, smart, persuasive and capable of thinking outside the box, or you aren't. The problem I see with the DCI board is that there are conflicts of interest constantly at play. I am very curious about how the new DCI exec board structure came to pass last week and what the board's work will look like in the months to come. I still wish they would release a statement regarding their relationship to the rather tense happenings over the last three years and their intentions toward the stewardship of this activity.

In any case, I'm flattered anyone would put my name on a list of known female DCP posters who would be considered qualified for such a position, though I don't think an online presence alone can shed enough light for that judgment to be complete!

And poor Granny. She gets no respect! Such a nice ol' gal. :tongue: