Dynasty Horns/Percussion

This is just silly. The quads and snares can sound great when tuned well, just like every single other brand of drums out there.

Amen. A good example of this is SCV, BD, and Regiment. BD, on Dynasty, sounded horrible from a tuning stand point. Regiment and SCV both under Paul Rennick sounded great on Dynasty. Not so much during Paul's time at Phantom, but last year at SCV on the new drums . . . sweet. When BD moved to Pearl (and RCC by extension) there was a marginal improvement in tone but they still had that choked sound I have come to identify with them. Stingray Percussion was some of the worst stuff ever made, but DCA's Westshoremen made those pieces of crap sing. From what I understand it took a lot of work, but it was done.

It's all in the tuning. The difference in manufacturer comes in things like durability, customer support, etc....

Having played Dynasty, Yamaha, and King mellophones, I will say that Kings are the best playing and easiest to get a good sound on but they play open, Yamahas have the best response in the upper register and are slotted a bit better than Kings, and Dynasty mellos have amazing valves but respond about as well as a big diesel truck. My preference is the Yamaha because Kings can get pretty wild in the upper register. Dynasty mellos are just terrible in comparison to the other, but I really wish King and Yamaha would make their valves like the Dynasty ones (those things just feel great in my opinion).

1360971801[/url]' post='3246925']

This is just silly. The quads and snares can sound great when tuned well, just like every single other brand of drums out there. The front ensemble equipment was not up to par at first, but Majestic has really been stepping up their concert percussion game lately, so I expect the outdoor stuff to follow suit.

Yea good point. I am judging this on seeing BAC and Pacific Crest and i thought both had drum sounds that were less than stellar. BAC having the better of the two.And i always did hate Pearl drums until BD tuned them up. I guess it really does depend on how you tune them. Which goes to show that each corps has to find the right brand for their style of tuning and perhaps playing style as well.

Edited by flammaster

Amen. A good example of this is SCV, BD, and Regiment. BD, on Dynasty, sounded horrible from a tuning stand point. Regiment and SCV both under Paul Rennick sounded great on Dynasty. Not so much during Paul's time at Phantom, but last year at SCV on the new drums . . . sweet. When BD moved to Pearl (and RCC by extension) there was a marginal improvement in tone but they still had that choked sound I have come to identify with them. Stingray Percussion was some of the worst stuff ever made, but DCA's Westshoremen made those pieces of crap sing. From what I understand it took a lot of work, but it was done.

It's all in the tuning. The difference in manufacturer comes in things like durability, customer support, etc....

Having seen and heard Paul Rennick demo the new Custom Elite drums in person, Dynasty and Paul have made what I believe are the best drums out there now. The snares are great. They really paid attention to the smallest detail to improve them and it worked.

honestly.......when it comes to sound, every brand has teams out there that sound good, and teams that don't. the right heads, the right people tuning, and you can have a great sound.

or you can have a bad sound.

• Like 1

I've had this discussion before. The BD and Phantom Dynasty lines sounded nothing alike. Go listen to 2008.

• Like 1

When was the last time you used a Dynasty board? They have made a lot of changes in the last couple of years. I can say from personal experience, the issues you're talking about are no longer issues.

2005's models. Then taught a place where I had to take a saw to the frames to cut off the extra few feet of tubing on the vibes and marimbas.

Having seen and heard Paul Rennick demo the new Custom Elite drums in person, Dynasty and Paul have made what I believe are the best drums out there now. The snares are great. They really paid attention to the smallest detail to improve them and it worked.

I hung out at one of SCV's east coast rehearsals this year, and let me tell you: those new snares are LOUD. The way that staff had them tuned, and the way those guys played them, even the low dynamics cut right through everything.

I was on their website looking at the corps that use them (which hasnt been updated in a while) but it looks like with Glassmen taking the year off SCV is the only Dynasty percussion. IS there another corps that is using either their horns or percussion? Could this be the phase out of Dynasty? Ive noticed alot of groups making the switch to Mapex and Jupiter that used to use Dynasty horns and percussion.

Dynasty lost Al Murray. Mystery solved.