Two Steps From Hell

So recently on my venture to find new music I ran across a group that just has the most astounding and epic style of music I've accidentally come across. The group is called "Two Steps From Hell" and I've come to find that none of their music has been used on the field yet and it is so drum corps appropriate! I can see several corps using these guys as their source material. Here's a few charts by them. You should really give it a listen and leave thoughts/opinions/show themes/etc.

Just to give you all a taste.

The group is called "Two Steps From Hell" and I've come to find that none of their music has been used on the field yet and it is so drum corps appropriate! I can see several corps using these guys as their source material.

Like Genesis, who played two of their pieces last year? Or the multitude of marching bands that I'm sure have/are/will this next fall?

I've written drill for a high school show that used only TSFH music and I must say that if it's not arranged correctly, it can be awful. I know that's true for anything, but you need to make sure you're getting to the punch with some of this music, and not rehashing every verse that happens in the original (I know that most folks here would agree, this arranger did not). I think that an SCV or Blue Stars or Crossmen could make this work for them.

I think that Genesis did great work with it last year and really brought a ton of variety to the material. I was a huge fan of their music book and the way that the music was scored to make it sound more varied than a note for note treatment.

• Like 1

Yup, they have some great stuff. I'm using their song "Heart of Courage" in my marching band show next year. Found it on an episode of Top Gear and immediately went and downloaded the album.

Like Genesis, who played two of their pieces last year? Or the multitude of marching bands that I'm sure have/are/will this next fall?

I've written drill for a high school show that used only TSFH music and I must say that if it's not arranged correctly, it can be awful. I know that's true for anything, but you need to make sure you're getting to the punch with some of this music, and not rehashing every verse that happens in the original (I know that most folks here would agree, this arranger did not). I think that an SCV or Blue Stars or Crossmen could make this work for them.

I think that Genesis did great work with it last year and really brought a ton of variety to the material. I was a huge fan of their music book and the way that the music was scored to make it sound more varied than a note for note treatment.

I typed in their name on corps reps before posting this. Was it just not listed as them on there? I have to go watch Genesis' show now!

I didn't include marching band in this as there are more of those than corps and plenty of stuff has been done by bands but not corps'

The group is called "Two Steps From Hell", and I've come to find that none of their music has been used on the field yet, and it is so drum-corps appropriate! I can see several corps using these guys as their source material.

Like Genesis, who played two of their pieces last year?

[...]

I typed in their name on corpsreps before posting this. Was it just not listed as them on there? I have to go watch Genesis's show now!

Good on you for having taken the time to check corpsreps before posting.

The reason you didn't find "Two Steps from Hell" listed there is that the two TSFH songs Genesis played in 2012 are identified by the name of the composer, Thomas Bergersen.

I made the mistake of clicking on this link while sitting at my office, and now I can't concentrate on the numbers on the other screen that I'm supposed to be analyzing.

This is really captivating music to my ear. The first thing that comes to my mind is that whoever tries this had better have a drum line that's at the top of their game, with the ability and stamina to play what could be a very tough book for 3 minutes with no, or maybe one, break. I haven't listened to the genesis show yet so I'll be interested to hear if they pulled off the "drive" that and "punch" ($1 to derek) needed to make this effective.

But, percussion's my thing, so I hear that most.

I have a question: What is this genre of music called?

Ok. Listened to the first one. Feels like you should be holding a video game controller in your hand while it's playing. :cool:

Good on you for having taken the time to check corpsreps before posting.

The reason you didn't find "Two Steps from Hell" listed there is that the two TSFH songs Genesis played in 2012 are identified by the name of the composer, Thomas Bergersen.

Got ya. Just watched Genesis, so fitting that their show title was called "Epic." I liked the lyrical treatment they gave portions of the softer parts of their opener. Would be great to see more of this stuff hit the field. Lots of music by these groups. I got a ton of tracks by them on my itunes now.