Long Awaited Trivia

Offensive Lions

That was going to be my next guess...seriously, because Dan Spalding went to them after Spirit of Atlanta 1977 and was big at the time on doing something totally different.

I saw them but don't remember the 11 bass drums. They did quite well in 1979, finishing 14th.

Offensive Lions

Yes... I remember them. They're gone now.

But there is an NFL team in Detroit called the Lions. Their fans tell us that most years their Lions are pretty offensive too.

I answered a question correctly a few pages back, so here is my question, but I'm am searching for the answer myself. Hopefully somebody here will know the answer. The Beckman family had 5 sons all march with the Madison Scouts together I believe at one time in the late 70's. I know of one family who had 7 and possibly all 8 sons and daughters march (not together) with one west coast corps. Does anybody know of another family who had as many or more children march with one corps ?

I'm trying to confirm the eighth child, Nancy and Dale you can probably help me with that....

The Beckman family had 5 sons all march with the Madison Scouts together I believe at one time in the late 70's. I know of one family who had 7 and possibly all 8 sons and daughters march (not together) with one west coast corps. Does anybody know of another family who had as many or more children march with one corps ?

Yes, five Beckman brothers, Bill, Eric, Scott, Jay and David marched together for the '76 season. That may be the most at one time in a major corps, but I'm sure there were smaller/parade corps that no doubt had upwards of 10 siblings in it at one time.

I do know that the Joliet Kingsmen actually folded in 2005 because one family, which produced a HUGE number of members, moved away from Joliet.

Yes, five Beckman brothers, Bill, Eric, Scott, Jay and David marched together for the '76 season. That may be the most at one time in a major corps, but I'm sure there were smaller/parade corps that no doubt had upwards of 10 siblings in it at one time.

I do know that the Joliet Kingsmen actually folded in 2005 because one family, which produced a HUGE number of members, moved away from Joliet.

Thanks Brian, That gives a new meaning to the term, "There goes the neighborhood.... and the corps".

• Like 2

1975 was the year all 5 Beckman brothers marched (Bill aged out in '75). Their mother was also president of the Scouts board of directors that year. She also housed 4 or 5 additional Scouts every year. David went on to be drum major in '81 and Jay aged out in SCV.

1975 was the year all 5 Beckman brothers marched (Bill aged out in '75). Their mother was also president of the Scouts board of directors that year. She also housed 4 or 5 additional Scouts every year. David went on to be drum major in '81 and Jay aged out in SCV.

I guess I could have found that out by checking the '75 working copy (as the season progressed) roster that I have. According to that, another Beckman, Craig, was, at one time in '75, in the tymp section. His name doesn't have a check mark by it so I assume he wasn't in the final edition of the corps that year.

I was going according to a published article that said '76 was the year.

I and two brothers marched together for four years, 1966 through 1969. We also were 3 of 14 total members of a competitive guard during that same time. There were lots of families in the activity back then.

I guess I could have found that out by checking the '75 working copy (as the season progressed) roster that I have. According to that, another Beckman, Craig, was, at one time in '75, in the tymp section. His name doesn't have a check mark by it so I assume he wasn't in the final edition of the corps that year.

I was going according to a published article that said '76 was the year.

My memory really isn't that sharp - I just looked in my 1975 Scouts year book.

Craig did in fact march tymp all of 1975 but was not from the same family of Beckmans.