"Tour of Champions" 2013

Okay true, some already existing groups could be in SoundSport but they would still need to sign up and register. Again I honestly think it's a game of semantics. It's like a virtual reality ride about going into a time machine saying "Be a part of history!"... I mean it may have been poor word choice but I don't think that the SUMMARY of a PROPOSAL is any indication of what was ACTUALLY going to be done. The proposal clearly states that they were going for a text message voting procedure and it don't think it says anything about it influencing an "official" score. So, stop scrutinizing the writing of a journalist and splitting hairs with "being a part of the judging process"... I think you only want to see it one way.

Just applying the same standard as those who nit pick at the SoundSport press release.

Which brings up another point. You keep referring to the G7 proposal, which is nice information for those few of us drum corps nuts here. Most people will never look at the G7 proposal. The press releases are the only information that most people see.

BD 2012 had little appeal to those of us who follow drum corps. The silence after their shows last summer was very telling.

I remember Star 93 being met the same way (though was more of a mix of golf claps and booing...), yet how often do you hear people talking about it?

I remember the first time we saw Star in 93. We were on right before them, I quickly took the corps off the field... we didn't do our usual circle up that night... went right to the sidelines and watched from behind the fence. It was un real. We were silent when they finished, because we were still processing what we saw. It was something so different.

I think a lot of people really had that same silent reaction from the stands, because they really didn't exactly understand what they were seeing on the first view.

• Like 2

I remember Star 93 being met the same way (though was more of a mix of golf claps and booing...), yet how often do you hear people talking about it?

If you are saying that the 2nd place DCI show of 1993 would meet with the same reaction as the 1st place DCI show of 2012 with the public at large, then I would agree with you. Outside of our very very small niche world of devotees of DCI Drum Corps, there are Corps both at the bottom of World Class and in the Open Class that have produced shows pver the years that would be considered much more enjoyable to the unfamiliar public than either of these DCI shows.

The 1993 DCI 2nd place show from the Star of Indiana would be one of the last shows that we would want to use with the public to showcase the Drum Corps activity in hopes of growing this activity and attracting more fans across the country and the world to it. The same with the BD show from 2012. Neither is even in the top 10 of favorite Drum Corps shows with even Drum Corps fans from around the Country. When a few years ago DCI did a national poll of its favorite DCI shows of all time, the '93 Star of Indiana show was not the top mix of Corps mentioned by even national Drum Corps fans ( this assesment does not in any way diminish what others might like in this show and in BD 2012. I have shows that I personally like that others dont'd tend to like as highly as I do either. )

Edited by BRASSO

If you are saying that the 2nd place DCI show of 1993 would meet with the same reaction as the 1st place DCI show of 2012 with the public at large, then I would agree with you. Outside of our very very small niche world of devotees of DCI Drum Corps, there are Corps both at the bottom of World Class and in the Open Class that have produced shows pver the years that would be considered much more enjoyable to the unfamiliar public than either of these DCI shows.

The 1993 DCI 2nd place show from the Star of Indiana would be one of the last shows that we would want to use with the public to showcase the Drum Corps activity in hopes of growing this activity and attracting more fans across the country and the world to it. The same with the BD show from 2012. Neither is even in the top 10 of favorite Drum Corps shows with even Drum Corps fans from around the Country. When a few years ago DCI did a national poll of its favorite DCI shows of all time, the '93 Star of Indiana show was not the top mix of Corps mentioned. ( this assesment does not in any way diminish what others might like in this show and in BD 2012. I have shows that I personally like that others dont'd tend to like as highly as I do either. )

Both of these show would absolutely resonate with SOME segment of the population. There should be a wide range of programs that could resonate with a wide range of the population.

Still baffled why no one is doing arena rock stuff. So much great stuff out there.

Anyway, needs to be MUCH more diversity in programming.

• Like 1

The 1993 DCI 2nd place show from the Star of Indiana would be one of the last shows that we would want to use with the public to showcase the Drum Corps activity in hopes of growing this activity and attracting more fans across the country and the world to it. The same with the BD show from 2012. Neither is even in the top 10 of favorite Drum Corps shows with even Drum Corps fans from around the Country. When a few years ago DCI did a national poll of its favorite DCI shows of all time, the '93 Star of Indiana show was not the top mix of Corps mentioned by even national Drum Corps fans ( this assesment does not in any way diminish what others might like in this show and in BD 2012. I have shows that I personally like that others dont'd tend to like as highly as I do either. )

Let’s say two DVDs are made as a short promo and shown around the Nation to a few million folks in the name of increasing the fan base: DVD A consists of (1993 Star, 2005 Cadets, and 2012 Blue Devils); and DVD B consists of (1999 Madison Scouts, 2011 Boston, and for grins 2012 Jersey Surf). Which DVD do you really think is going to yield more new fan interest when shown to millions of people who have never heard of DCI? A or B?

Edited by Stu

Both of these show would absolutely resonate with SOME segment of the population. There should be a wide range of programs that could resonate with a wide range of the population.

Still baffled why no one is doing arena rock stuff. So much great stuff out there.

Anyway, needs to be MUCH more diversity in programming.

I agree with this. '93 Star of Indiana ( and BD 2012 ) absolutely have small segments of the populace that love these shows. And thats fine too.

DCI should offer shows that are diverse as possible. And I do believe that it does. And those that find DCI's level of " diversity in show programming" lacking to their personal tastes, there are other outlets out there that offer other opportunities to find shows that might be more in line with their personal tastes.

Whatever one's tastes are in Drum Corps, it can be found today, imo... either in DCI, or in DCA, or the Alumni Groups that perform. Not all appeal to all. Nor can it. But a " lack of diversity " in Drum Corps today is not something that I believe is problematic. We have show performance diversity in Drum Corps. Lots of it as a matter of fact, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I think a lot of people really had that same silent reaction from the stands, because they really didn't exactly understand what they were seeing on the first view.

I think a lot of people had that reaction because they didn't like the show, and they were being polite i.e. not booing. Saying they didn't understand it is a bit condescending IMO. This is not pharmaceuticals. It's not too tough to understand.

This was true the first time the public first saw the Bridgemen come onto the field Lots of stares, lots of " WTF ". lots of negative vibes, especially in shows away from the East. I would say the Bridgemen were probably the most controversial Corps in DCI history, as they offered " diversity " that prior to that, DCI tended to lack in terms of both show " diversity " as well as in marching member " diversity ". The Bridgemen whole vibe was Urban and " different " than what most conventional Corps at the time were bringing to the public in DCI competition... from their marching, to their unis, all of it. There 1st years shows were completely unlike the others in that it offered comedic relief and a breath of fresh air and innovative contributions to the genre. And the best part is that they took an initial impression of negativity among some in the audience and turned it around in a few minutes with a lot of the hostile fans there and " won them over ".That was quite remarkable to witness and not that easy for a performer to pull off.

Anyway, we are getting sidetracked, but since the fine '93 Star of Indiana and its reaction with national audiences was brought up, I thought I'd mention a Corps that was equally, if not more so, controversial and initially was getting negative or the initial confused look from audiences.

carry on........

Edited by BRASSO

I think a lot of people had that reaction because they didn't like the show, and they were being polite i.e. not booing. Saying they didn't understand it is a bit condescending IMO. This is not pharmaceuticals. It's not too tough to understand.

For example: I do not like Caviar; I have respect for the quality, but I still no not 'like' it. Even if it is $25,000 Beluga Caviar served at a black-tie reception in which I was in attendance; I would be polite and nibble, but also try to find a way to hide and spit it out.

• Like 1

Let’s say two DVDs are made as a short promo and shown around the Nation to a few million folks in the name of increasing the fan base: DVD A consists of (1993 Star, 2005 Cadets, and 2012 Blue Devils); and DVD B consists of (1999 Madison Scouts, 2011 Boston, and for grins 2012 Jersey Surf). Which DVD do you really think is going to yield more new fan interest when shown to millions of people who have never heard of DCI? A or B?

Most likely... neither.

That said, of the comparison of the 2, mostly likely " B " would generate more favorable responses if we gave BOTH DVD's to the unfamiliar public and asked them which of the 2 tapes they personally found more appealing to them. As such, " B " would have the better chance of bringing more unfamiliar potential customers out to a show to check it out, than " A " tape would, imo. Also, as any business will tell us, it is the repeat customer that businesses covet the most. It is not sufficient for DCI to get an unfamilar potential customer out to a show once. The key is to have them decide to come back the next year after they come out to a show the first time...... and bring a friend or relative. A ' customer" is somebody that buys your product once. A " fan " on the other hand, is somebody that returns again and again to partake of your product.

Edited by BRASSO