Thoughts on DCI's "Harlem Shake" Video?

How is creating an opportunity to reinforce negative stereotypes a good thing?

Where are these negative DCI stereotypes being mentioned? The Youtube comments I quoted above represent a large share of the negative remarks made there, and the two primary thrusts of complaint are: (1) DCI's video doesn't accurately portray the "Harlem Shake" meme, and (2) DCI shouldn't be associating itself with trash like the "Harlem Shake" in the first place. Very few comments aim at the marching band nature of DCI.

And again, the negative remarks come from far less than one percent of the people who watched the video.

Where are these negative DCI stereotypes being mentioned? The Youtube comments I quoted above represent a large share of the negative remarks made there, and the two primary thrusts of complaint are: (1) DCI's video doesn't accurately portray the "Harlem Shake" meme, and (2) DCI shouldn't be associating itself with trash like the "Harlem Shake" in the first place. Very few comments aim at the marching band nature of DCI.

And again, the negative remarks come from far less than one percent of the people who watched the video.

But statistically if it's a random sample it is representative of all the viewers (plus or minus a couple of percentage points). which is how you can do a national survey of a few people it can be representative of the entire population of the United States.

Also, the comment about DCI stereotypes came from my comment you quoted in the OP. Which I was responding to a post about how the idea of "Bando" needed to be overcome and this video not helping. etc. etc.

Edited by charlie1223

There have been over 800,000 hits for the video so far.

Whomever is writing the comments on behalf of DCI's Facebook page, (and yes, I don't know who does that...never thought to ask), stated, "Sad fact - more people have watched this video than ever tuned into DCI on ESPN."

There have been over 800,000 hits for the video so far.

Whomever is writing the comments on behalf of DCI's Facebook page, (and yes, I don't know who does that...never thought to ask), stated, "Sad fact - more people have watched this video than ever tuned into DCI on ESPN."

I don't know why DCI can't make media that can be accompanied by a "happy" fact. It's only "sad" if they think the video is also terrible... It's only gone viral because it's terrible...

I don't know why DCI can't make media that can be accompanied by a "happy" fact. It's only "sad" if they think the video is also terrible... It's only gone viral because it's terrible...

Then you probably won't like "Finals Saturday," the video DCI is producing starring Rebecca Black.

• Like 2

Other Youtube Viral Video Anomalies...

This amateur video of the Ohio U Marching Band playing Party Rock Anthem received over 9 million views.

This amateur video of Jersey Surf playing Party Rock Anthem received over 2 thousand views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDrF1pn9zs

And this one only received under 3000 views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5DZ7TtG78

Any explanations?

Edited by charlie1223

I personally think DCI needs a new person for their facebook page... sorry if that person posts here.. but I was on there the other day.. and a lot of responses seemed immature, and not responses from an organization that is trying to gain respect in the world. I don't remember what exactly.. but I was surprised to see that. I originally thought they were hacked or something....

• Like 1

The Ohio U video had a ton of media coverage, including on ESPN.com: http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7059349

It was novel in October of 2011. By last summer, it was... not novel anymore.

Other Youtube Viral Video Anomalies...

This amateur video of the Ohio U Marching Band playing Party Rock Anthem received over 9 million views.

This amateur video of Jersey Surf playing Party Rock Anthem received over 2 thousand views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjDrF1pn9zs

And this one only received under 3000 views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5DZ7TtG78

Any explanations?

Blast it! Behind the curve!

Well, Surf was probably programming Party Rock in October for a show ten months later. This is one hurdle to DCI ever being able to program pop music that is actually popular at the time of performance. The lead time is ridiculous, whereas a college band can get something turned around in just a week or two.

• Like 2