Thoughts on DCI's "Harlem Shake" Video?

Except you have the people looking for harlem shake videos and this wasnt as good as most. You have the elitist DCI fans and alum that wouldnt be satisfied unless they had the dci staff actually make a harlem shake video, and even then they probably wouldnt be satisfied.

I'd make one myself, except I don't want to receive a bill for breaking the Internet.

• Like 2

Except you have the people looking for harlem shake videos and this wasnt as good as most. You have the elitist DCI fans and alum that wouldnt be satisfied unless they had the dci staff actually make a harlem shake video, and even then they probably wouldnt be satisfied.

This is exactly under Brand relations and building. Are those things important? Should DCI have to face some outrage to reach a wider demographic? I feel you are really missing the point of the discussion. And marketing is very much dependent on people's opinions and impressions and managing them the best you can.

I don't really know what you are trying to say when you talk about Elite DCI Fans?? That enjoying a Harlem shake video is somehow not elite? What?

Im saying elitist not elite. People who think dci is superior simply because it isnt mainstream. What was the demographic they were trying to reach? I watched and felt it was for the fans and was using a fad to do it.

If you think that DCI can boom in popularity via a viral video, think again. It wont happen overnight. They are doing a lot of things well as an organization and some things not so well. But this didnt ruin DCI nor is it an example of them failing.

• Like 3

If you think that DCI can boom in popularity via a viral video, think again. It wont happen overnight. They are doing a lot of things well as an organization and some things not so well. But this didnt ruin DCI nor is it an example of them failing.

I didn't say or think any of those things but that's good to know... I hope that DCI does continue to pursue Viral Videos as away to gain a larger audience. It's just that I'd like to see one that doesn't get as much negativity.

Edited by charlie1223

I'm just astounded that people don't seem to want to recognize that over a million people viewed the video.

Lots to complain about, except that one fact.

Did you happen to read the comments before they disabled them? A million people seeing something that didn't really resonate with a lot of people... not exactly a good thing.

Also, looking at the stats... one of the early waves of the traffic came from referrals from Vkontakte, a very popular russian site. I logged in and checked it out... seems the video was embedded and shared on loads of accounts, Odd.

• Like 1