TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Edit: I'll add that, of course, Dan knows this fact and, yet, he's still preaching the same solutions he's been touting for as long as I've been reading DCP. He's kind of the crazy grandfather that sits in the corner drooling, and mumbling that the British are coming. He doesn't care that few listen or believe him.

Not really sure exactly what you mean... but.... the British did, in fact, come. :)

Drum corps should not appeal to everyone. It should focus more on appealing to youth.

Oh, so in your world Drum Corps International should not appeal to the parents, adult former performers, and other adults who are actually the ones who have the expendable capital to spend buying fuel to travel to Finals, paying for three or four nights in a motel, buying tickets to the shows, buying meals, buying souvenirs,... DCI should not appeal to them but just appeal to the youth. Now that makes sense!

If you are saying here that you'd like to hear a little bit more more music from the Corps from the likes of the unconventional Jim Morrison from the 60's than the conventional Felix Mendelssohn, then you might be onto something.

As for your liking of things that are rebellious, you might enjoy the non G7 show this year of the Crossmen entitled " Protest! "

No. It is not only music... it is ATTITUDE.

I want drum corps to be less geeky, more leather.... less golf shirt, more bad###.

Drum corps simply needs to be more bad### all around.

Costuming isn't helping... looks like a Star Trek convention.

Nothing wrong with feathers.... feathers can be bad###. A fine line..

Edited by danielray

Oh, so in your world Drum Corps International should not appeal to the parents, adult former performers, and other adults who are actually the ones who have the expendable capital to spend buying fuel to travel to Finals, paying for three or four nights in a motel, buying tickets to the shows, buying meals, buying souvenirs,... DCI should not appeal to them but just appeal to the youth. Now that makes sense!

I think there are other, better sources to get that money from.

You either cut spending (which would kill it)... or you look for other sources of revenue.

No!!!!!! You do both; cut spending and look for other sources of revenue!!!!!!

Say a family has placed themselves in a nice neighborhood, nice home, nice car, cable TV full package, highest speed internet available, kids have the latest computer and Wii games, I-pads and I-Phones with the top package, they plan on a vacation to Disney World, and then the economy tanks. The revenue stream has been dwindled to the point the parents are now struggling to pay the electric bill and provide food, they are in grave danger of losing the house to foreclosure all the while still attempting to maintain their 'lifestyle'.

Your advice to them is that cutting any spending would destroy the family; so they should go ahead and take the kids to Disney World; and not only keep the high speed internet and the the cable tv full package but increase the speed and channels to the latest upgraded packages, and go ahead and get the latest game for the Wii (the kids are entitled to them), and while doing all that look for other sources of revenue. Bull, I say, Bull.

What the parents actually need to do is cancel the Disney trip and go to a local park instead, temporarily cut down the high speed internet down to a lower speed and drop to just basic cable (if not eliminate them all together), delay the the purchase of anything new which is not vital to keeping things afloat, pay the mortgage, pay the electric bill, pay the car note, buy food, and also look into securing more revenue. Then once the revenue stream is up, increase the internet and cable tv, re-plan the trip to Disney, get that latest Wii game. That, D-Ray is the way to not only take proper care of a family but also a proper way to take care of a Drum Corps family.

• Like 1

No. It is not only music... it is ATTITUDE.

I want drum corps to be less geeky,

I don't want future Drum Corps to be more like you either, so here's where we both agree.

Edited by BRASSO

No!!!!!! You do both; cut spending and look for other sources of revenue!!!!!!

Say a family has placed themselves in a nice neighborhood, nice home, nice car, cable TV full package, highest speed internet available, kids have the latest computer and Wii games, I-pads and I-Phones with the top package, they plan on a vacation to Disney World, and then the economy tanks. The revenue stream has been dwindled to the point the parents are now struggling to pay the electric bill and provide food, they are in grave danger of losing the house to foreclosure all the while still attempting to maintain their 'lifestyle'.

Your advice to them is that cutting any spending would destroy the family; so they should go ahead and take the kids to Disney World; and not only keep the high speed internet and the the cable tv full package but increase the speed and channels to the latest upgraded packages, and go ahead and get the latest game for the Wii (the kids are entitled to them), and while doing all that look for other sources of revenue. Bull, I say, Bull.

What the parents actually need to do is cancel the Disney trip and go to a local park instead, temporarily cut down the high speed internet down to a lower speed and drop to just basic cable (if not eliminate them all together), delay the the purchase of anything new which is not vital to keeping things afloat, pay the mortgage, pay the electric bill, pay the car note, buy food, and also look into securing more revenue. Then once the revenue stream is up, increase the internet and cable tv, re-plan the trip to Disney, get that latest Wii game. That, D-Ray is the way to not only take proper care of a family but also a proper way to take care of a Drum Corps family.

The solution is to make more money.

It has no comparison to a family... there is no analogy here.

To keep drum corps interesting and for kids to aspire to do it, there needs to be a considerable gap between high school marching band and drum corps in both performance level and quality of experience offered.

I do not think the way forward is a lot more drum corps spending a couple hundred thousand a year.

I think there are other, better sources to get that money from.

The particular posting of yours that I was in referencing in this instance was that in your opinion DCI should focus on appealing to the youth as opposed to everyone; I was not referencing any posting concerning sources of revenue, and I did not say rely on the ticket sales 'for revenue'!!! What I did say is that if DCI does not appeal to the adults (who are the ones paying for the fuel to finals, paying for the motels, paying for the tickets, paying for the souvies, paying for the food, and paying for the tickets) DCI will have no butts in the seats other than a few judges for the youth to perform to. Ergo, DCI certainly does need to focus on the adults who attend the shows as well as the youth who perform.

Then get in the game... or continue to complain from the sidelines.

I havn't quite figured out yet if you're "in the game" or are contining "to complain from the sidelines."

Edited by BRASSO