TOC/G7 Related Discussion

So, as a result, do you want even MORE WGI influences in DCI shows and on the DCI judging score sheets ?

Yes.

I have searched the web to try and help out the D-ray here but am having some trouble. Can someone 'Please' find a photo of that D*** deranged bunny rabbit from the Cadets 2006 show and post it in this thread.

To me, DCA is very silly... a bunch of guys out there trying to relive their youth

Amd here I was thinking that DCA now allowed even Woman to march in all their Corps, and that they were even contemplating bringing in teenagers into DCA that didn't want to pay a summer's Kings Ransom in order to do Drum Corps. That'd be WAY too " progressive " for my tastes. They need to keep that Drum Corps circuit the way its always been... for " a bunch of old guys out there trying to relive their youth ". And DCA should continue to be limited to only the " old, RICH, guys " too, not that I come to think of it.

Edited by BRASSO

I was only talking about design aspects... and how WGI is actually run... lean and mean... and built on top of scholastic network.

Are you so blind that you cannot see your contradictions of business models and premises from thread to thread or even within the same threads? Or are you relying on us only using short term memory? WGI is nowhere near the business model you desire, and you have on more than one occasion stated that DCI needs to focus 'just' on business.

• Like 1

Are you so blind that you cannot see your contradictions of business models and premises from thread to thread or even within the same threads? Or are you relying on us only using short term memory? WGI is nowhere near the business model you desire, and you have on more than one occasion stated that DCI needs to focus 'just' on business.

I never said anything about the business model... i am pretty clear.... WGI has more progressive design, is better run and has stronger connection with school programs. They are much more focused on youth than DCI.

Are you so blind that you cannot see your contradictions

I'll say.

i am pretty clear.... WGI has more progressive design, is better run They are much more focused on youth

Then why didn't you start a Color Guard up ?

The solution is to make more money.

The solution is to SPEND LESS money.

Drum corps is an arms race. When someone had four marimbas, everyone else coveted four marimbas. When someone went to five marimbas, everyone else coveted five marimbas. Staff members complain if they're presented with an "uneven" field.

Drum corps could make more money, and more money, and even more money, but because they have more money, they'll spend more money.

How much is enough? Just a little bit more.

Making more money will never be the answer as long as managements and staff insist on spending everything they have, and then wanting more money to make the next great leap. You will never hear a corps say, "Hey, we've got enough money, so we're going to dial things back a bit and live within our means." It's just not the nature of the beast.

Self-control is not a concept that is popularly presented as an answer to the ills of the activity. It is perceived as impinging on creative freedom, and those in a position to do anything about it are afraid the other guys will take advantage of it by being the first to bring out electronic bassoons, holograms and levitation jet packs. And because the corps on the "cutting edge" will have those things and the self-control advocates don't have the same things, it will be perceived that they'll be handed a creative advantage that will translate to higher scores and increased adulation for their creative staff. And what staff doesn't want adulation from the masses, or at least the judges?

Just a little bit more. It will always be just a little bit more.

• Like 4

done. :)

If you believe that DCI should become "MORE like WGI", and that this will then position the brass, percussion playing... and the music... of DCI better on the future DCI judging score sheets, then you are very much mistaken, imo. DCI judging are ALREADY too heavily influenced by WGI, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1