Indoor drum lines vs drum corps drum lines

As a brass player I know very little about percussion lines. I was watching a rhythm X video on some website and they sounded good. I wondered how a top Dci drum line compares?

As a brass player I know very little about percussion lines. I was watching a rhythm X video on some website and they sounded good. I wondered how a top Dci drum line compares?

I've been to every WGI World Championship, guard and percussion, since WGI was founded. I believe as a percussionist that the very top DCI lines are more technically proficient, especially towards the end of the season. The reason for that is they're together all summer long, practicing far more hours, with no other distractions...plus they attract more top talent from around the country. While some WGI lines attract members from out of their region, it's not to the degree of DCI lines. What the WGI lines accomplish is phenomenal, especially considering that most members are in high school or college at the same time, keeping up with studies, taking exams, etc., while rehearsing with the WGI lines during the week and competing only on weekends.

Due to the scope of what's done visually on the indoor floors, the WGI lines typically have much more movement demand than the DCI lines in terms of faster drill evolutions, which the DCI lines cover far more ground due to the size of a football field. WGI lines only have to coordinate their playing with themselves, while DCI lines have to fit in with the horns, sometimes from great distance spreads.

They're both wonderful and amazing in their own right, and they both offer unique challenges.

• Like 7

I believe the majority of the bluecoats drum line comes from Rythym X - and I believe 4 of the 5 basses are in the rythym X bass line this year.

• Like 1

Boo pretty much nailed it as far as a comparison. It's not quite apples-oranges different: maybe something like comparing oranges to blood oranges :tongue:/>

*edit*

Not correcting Boo at all; merely (quickly) saying the activities are similar with enough differences to make them unique. There are lots of DCI drummers in drum lines, and it's also an activity that helps "breed" good percussionists via the HS/scholastic classes. I think there's more exposure in WGI for ensembles (i.e. they're the focus 100% of the time so there's more 'pressure' to perform well), and the visual demand in the top WGI ensembles is off the charts. But they are typically not as clean as DCI lines.

So yeah, I'm basically repeating what Boo said, I guess...

Edited by perc2100

What they said. WGI tends to be *much* more adventurous, though - I think it's just built into their DNA or something. You'll see things in indoor that will make your brain go :blink: . (And then you'll see it again in DCI either that summer or the next... :tongue: )

Mike

• Like 3

I normally try not to equate objective with subjective, but in this instance it is somewhat appropriate. Irrespective of quality level differences, you are attempting to equate something like Arena Football 'strategy and playing style' with Full-Field Football 'strategy and plying style'. Both sports have similar characteristics; but the Tampa Bay Storm and Arizona Rattlers strategy and playing style used to to win all of their Arena Bowl titles would not fare well in the full-field environment, while the strategy and playing style of the New England Patriots and Green Bay Packers to win all of their Super Bowl titles would not fare well in the arena environment.

Edited by Stu

Yeah, what they all said...

I'd say the talent is nearly interchangeable with the summer lines. Many do winter to keep their chops in top form.

I only recently (last few years) have seen indoor drum shows live. It is very cool, extremely creative, and lots of fun for all. It is great to have scholastic groups and independent groups at the same show.

I find it ironic that according to the sheets, visual is only 20% of the score. Yet from a spectator standpoint, when you are there, it seems like a very visual centric show. Then in the summer, when you watch the drums, it seems like it is all about the beats, but visual seems to supercede all.

One interesting thing is to read the wgi percussion adjudication material. It gives great insight as to the philosophy they have for the judges - (very education partner oriented) which really helps to encourage excellence in the scholastic groups.

Edited by c mor
  • Like 1

I would say indoor lines push the envelope more. In DCI the only thing I have seen that is "new" over the last number of years is the leg apart batterie jam where they look like their taking a #### as they play some triplet roll.

DCI lines are cleaner, but indoor try new things more often.

• Like 2

You'll see things in indoor that will make your brain go :blink:/>/>/>/> . (And then you'll see it again in DCI either that summer or the next... :tongue:/>/>/>/> )

Like spinning bass drums?

DCI lines are cleaner, but indoor try new things more often

The highlighted part is what I have come to love about indoor. More innovation and creativity. It almost seems to me if WGI leads, and DCI follows. I will also say that while DCI batteries are cleaner you will not find a better front ensemble than Music City Mystique.

Edited by InspaDave

Not all WGI groups have the luxury of practice during the week.

Some are more on a DCA-like practice schedule.

Rehearse Friday night, Saturday before Pre-lims, Some then go somewhere and rehearse before finals that night, then rehearse all day Sunday.

It's great to see the innovation they bring and how it filters over to other marching forms.