Taps

Hey all you trumpet players out there....

If you want to do something really good, play Taps at military funerals. You can join Bugles Across America or just visit your nearest American Legion or VFW Post and volunteer. I started doing it in high school thatnks to a former corps member who recommended me. I continued playing Taps at military funerals when I was in the Army 1978-81, 85-88. I had the honor to play Taps at a ceremony in Liege, Belgium at the US Military Cemetary.

I know one individual who spends alot of volunteer time with Honor Flight and making sure a live bugler is playing Taps. Not sure if I can mention his name but the amount of time he does is extraordinary! TA

Our men and women serve our country to preserve freedom, we can give back to them to thank them and send them off in the proper and honorable way!

• Like 2

I've often written about Bugles Across America on another website, and it is a most worthy organization. If you do a search over there, you can get some additional info about what they do and what they need. (They'll take used trumpets and recondition them for people who want to play at funerals, but don't have an instrument.)

The founder, Tom Day, came and played "Taps" at my father's funeral. It meant the world to Mom and I and I know Dad was honored.

I participate in this and usually play 2=3 military funerals a month

• Like 1

2 years ago I was contacted to play at the Sarasota National Cemetary...got there and was warming up with Silent Brass. No one came to talk to me so I went into the office and some guy said, "Oh, the family wanted the bagpipe player to do Taps." Ouch

2 years ago I was contacted to play at the Sarasota National Cemetary...got there and was warming up with Silent Brass. No one came to talk to me so I went into the office and some guy said, "Oh, the family wanted the bagpipe player to do Taps." Ouch

I've told people that if there are bagpipes at my funeral, I will rise up and smite those responsible.

• Like 2

Amen! I am Scottish too!

I've told people that if there are bagpipes at my funeral, I will rise up and smite those responsible.

The pipes should have played Amazing Grace and you could have played Taps, that way everyone wins and it's a double respectful send-off. :smile:

• Like 1

And here I was getting Schickmeister to start practicing again.

The joke at Coats and Surf was that he played his tuba like a bagpipe. Turned out he was an actual pipemaster in his hometown band.

Next Boo will be against woodwinds too. :w00t:/>