Favorite corps names

The, obvious to everyone but them, problem with their name only lasted a portion of one season. Thereafter they became the Flaming Arrows. And even that was only temporary. They changed their name several times during their existence, those two are the only ones I remember

Especially since they were from Newton, NJ, not exactly a mecca of broadcasting.

There was an AM radio station in that neck of the woods when I lived in NJ... but you're right, Newton is not what I would call a major market. :tongue:

When I marched junior corps, the only time I remember seeing the Broadcasters was at either the NJ VFW or American Legion show.

Edited by Fran Haring

Speaking of ettes, how about the ND-ettes from Bridgeport, CT. back in 63?

Andy, know what the ND stood for? No history listed on CRep's.

Notre Dame High School, which has now gone co-ed and released most of its property to become Sacred Heart University, Fairfield (the other side of the street from Bridgeport.)

LOL - have a picture of the Booma AL Post when my wife and I went on vacation in Portsmouth a few years back. I pulled over, grabbed the camera and my wife was thinking "Now what?" :rock:/>/>

Spacetown Cadets??? - Allen Sheppards hometown....

How would you like to known as a White Rose?... corps from York, PA that was Sr, then Jr, then Sr again...

[

/quote]

I guess you were absent that day in history class. The War of the Roses and The White Roses were pivotal in English History occuring at York in England, not the new York in PA.

Edited by normy diploome

There was also a C.Y.O. corps from St. Matthias Parish in the Ridgewood (very German) section of Queens County on L.I. in NY. It was called, "The Blue Max" a term associated with German fighter pilots as in the novel and movie of the same name. The corps is pivotal to DCI history as it had as a member Jeff Sacktig and his brothers and sisters before he and John moved on to the the Crossmen, and then Jeff later to Garfield Cadets. The rest, as they say, is history. :thumbup:/>/>/>

The other corps from Ridgewood was the OLMM Orbits (Our Lady of Miraculous Medal) who with Max and others competed in the L.I. and Greater NY circuits which became hotbeds for later great contributors to DCI history (e.g. Paul Litteau, Pete Emmons, Wayne Downey, Noel Borden, Ernie Robinson, Tom Beresford, Kevin and Maureen "Moe" Smith to name but a few.)

Edited by normy diploome
  • Like 1

I guess you were absent that day in history class. The War of the Roses and The White Roses were pivotal in English History occuring at York in England, not the new York in PA.

My whole area of PA failed as Lancaster, PA (not that far from York, PA) is known as the Red Rose city. :tongue: No corps from that town that I know of.

Weird thing is Hanover is (less well) known as the Black Rose city. Glad that wasn't picked as a corps name, I'm happier with Lancers.

My whole area of PA failed as Lancaster, PA (not that far from York, PA) is known as the Red Rose city. :tongue:/>/> No corps from that town that I know of.

Weird thing is Hanover is (less well) known as the Black Rose city. Glad that wasn't picked as a corps name, I'm happier with Lancers.

yes, Lancaster and the Red Roses were the other force in the English dispute.

But Black Roses, they are expensive!

Refer to any episode of NCIS where Gibbs donates same to Abby.:tongue:/>/>

Edited by normy diploome

There was an AM radio station in that neck of the woods when I lived in NJ... but you're right, Newton is not what I would call a major market. :tongue:/>

WEhen I marched junior corps, the only time I remember seeing the Broadcasters was at either the NJ VFW or American Legion show.

They were in the Garden State Circuit. I competed against them in 68 and 69. They were around until the mid-70's. One of the lower-scoring GSC corps if I recall. One of their rifle gals works...or worked...at the YMCA camp in Newton where our band goes each summer.

Blownox Rockettes ( Pa)

Eye- Openers ( Iowa)

Flashing Lassies ( Calif. )

Hancock Wanderers ( Mich. )

Kemenfelt ( Ontario )

Gay Blades ( N.J. )

Killmen ( N.Y. )

Les Amazones ( Quebec )

Little Chute Dutch Girls ( Wisco )

Lucky Ladies ( N.J )

Offensive Lions (Quebec )

Pom Poms ( Ma)

Multi- Visions (Quebec )

Bath Buccaneers ( ME.)

Cataract Cavaliers ( N.Y. )

Buick Skylarks ( Mich. )

Golden Trojans ( OH. )

Harvey Seeds Rebels ( FL. )

Hornet's Nest ( N.C. )

knights of Noble Callahan ( N.Y. )

Mesa Thunderbirds ( Ariz. )

Our Lady of Sorrows (CT. )

Satan's Angels ( OH.)

The Thing ( Wisc. )

Cornplanters ( PA. )

Bandettes ( Ontario )

Big Tree Emeralds ( N.Y. )

Witch City ( Ma. )

LA Chinese ( Calif. )

Lithuanians ( Ma. )

Media Fawns ( PA)

Mountettes All Girls ( N.J. )

Rocky Mountain Magic ( COLO. )

Ballentine Brewers ( NJ )

Regal Crownsmen ( RI )

Patrolettes ( Quebec )

Shadettes ( NJ )

Silver Liners ( MD )

Silver Beavers (PA)

Feux- Follets ( Quebec )

Wanderers ( Mich. )

2nd Signals ( Ontario )

Hurricane Girls ( MD )

IC Rockets ( MA)

Les Hostesses ( Quebec )

Les Masseurers ( Quebec )

Les Trolets (Quebec )

Les Bambinos ( Quebec )

Woodpeckers ( PA)

Misslemen ( Ma )

Huskateers ( Neb.)

Cisco Kids ( Il )

Jersey Joe's ( NJ )

Kentucky Colonels ( KY )

Jolly Rogers ( Tenn )

Flying Dutchmen ( Ontario )

Jersey Skeeters ( NJ)

Volunteers ( NY )

Green Sabres ( NY )

Flying Ambassadors ( FL )

Modern Woodmen ( OH)

Leathernecks ( OR)

Knights of Light ( IL )

Levittown Lovers ( PA)

Black Panthers ( NY )

Linksmen ( B.C )

Man of War ( KY )

Marty's Goldenairs ( Mich )

Mid- Islanders ( NY )

Moosup Renegades ( CT )

Outlaws ( Mich )

Coachmen ( NH )

Teddy Budlong ( Wisc. )

Tyrone Guards ( PA)

Gentlemen ( Va)

Vigilantes ( Texas )

Yardmen ( NY )

Maumee's Demons ( OH)

Night Watchmen ( Mich. )

Castanet (Calif. )

Edited by BRASSO

Lucky Ladies ( N.J )

From Wharton NJ...I think they started an alumni corps fairly recently.

Mountettes All Girls ( N.J. )

They wore dark maroon jackets and black skirts...RCMP-type of unis with the smokey-the-bear hats. Competed in the Garden State Circuit...I competed against them in 68/69. I have...or had...an old Stetson D. Richmond album of my corps, the Imperial Guardsmen, at GSC champs in one of those years, and the flip side is the Mountettes (though I guess from their POV it is the reverse! :tongue: )

Silver Beavers (PA)

Drum corps only senior citizen all girl corps. :lookaround:

Mid- Islanders ( NY )

Sponsored by 7-Up...they wore 7-Up green jackets and pants, with 7-Up orange and white trim. Had a 7-Up patch on the shoulder of their uni, and I think they had a 7-Up logo on their bass drums.